top speed 600ss .

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by run990, Jun 17, 2012.

1. hi just wondering if anyone knows a correct top speed atainable by a standard 600ss ,mine seems to pull very strongly from around 4500 rpm right up to 9000,however seems incapable of pulling thru to the red line in forth or top gear .front sprocket is 15 tooth .due to the wildly inacurate speedo on my bike i am guessing at top speed .is around the ton .thats on the flat with an overweight rider in loose fitting clothing & not flat on the tank.i have tried to find a rpm to mph graph for the 600ss but have not found one.i was going to lower the gearing by at least 1 maybe 2 teeth on the front to liven up acceleration & reduce clutch slip in traffic.if i can work out what speed i should be doing at say 4000 rpm in top ,i can calibrate my speedo & add some usefull speed markings

2. 14t front sprocket 41 rear or 15t front 44 rear will be perfect for the road.. that will be for the 2-1 primary post 93 600 ss's

3. thanks for the info ,i have a 15 tooth front & 36 tooth rear so way over geared ,i think the bike has seen some track action ,front forks been tweaked with added adjusters & 900 ss rear shock.no wonder it wont rev out on a typical bit of A road .its geared for a land speed record attempt ha ha,time to invest in new chain & sprockets ,shame as ones fitted are still very good.

4. If the engine number is higher than 001852 you have a 2-1 primary.. standard gearing (sprockets) 15-41
    If the number is lower than above you have a 2.28-1 primary Standard sprockets 15-36

5. I found that the most torque was 2nd 3rd dont know what revs as my counter didn't work could easily reach 85mph or more to 4th then cruise in 5th not much to be had often I dropped to 3rd to get a good overtake or on a straight

Cruised well at 100 on the motorway in 5th

Great little bikes

6. If its a really old one, like 95, then it's different again. Take a tooth of the front, leave the rear, and probably be about righ bu only good for 105 ish maybe more with wind and downhill

7. If I remember correctly zimbo had 120 out of mine
    There is no way I would have reached that.
    Not sure what mine was I can find out for you

8. Faster than a Le Mans Guzzi methinks!

[​IMG]

9. thanks for all the info ,its a 95 model but the later primary gearing going by engine numbers,looks like last owner fitted wrong sprockets ,i am going to try a 14 & 13 tooth front sprockets ,i am in a hilly area with not many long straights ,so lower top end wont be a problem ,better midrange performance will be greatly apreciated,in some areas setting off in first is like my old bsa goldstar was with the rrt2 gearbox ,loads of clutch slipping & a sore left wrist.also will make top gear of some use rather than some kind of overdrive .

10. Must have had an engine change then??

Re top speed the speedo was always way out on mine. Running std gearing on my race bike, hitting 9k in top, ps on lap timer sowed around 107 ish at snetterton last year. Speedo woul have probably said 140 lol

11. Mine was a 98 model
    They love false neutrals too :)

12. I keep the sprockets you need in stock...13,14 and 15 front and whatever rear you need......chains too....

13. my speedo shows around 140 to 150 ,when i am doing about a ton ,bike must be ok as everyones 600 seems to do same speed,also re old guzzi le mans top speed ,speedos were made by same ones as ducati ,had one regularly did 150 on local bypass,got a v max did 150 on same road & realised guzzi was reading about 33% fast.the good old days ,i had cash & the bottle to max out quick bikes ,nowadays my 600 slug special is fast enough for me ,ha ha

14. No mate, Mine was a 1995 and was the 2-1 primary..

15. Check the speedo drive, someone might have fitted the wrong one.

16. I had an M plate on he road which was something like 15/36 std gearing.

17. thanks for that ,thats exactly what i need ,i can now bung some stickers on my speedo that mark typical speed camera limits ,thanks again

18. I doubt if that has happened.....there are two wheel types for the carb SS and two speedo drive types.....unless someone has done some brilliant engineering (like Chewythekneeslider) the two drives aren't interchangeable....

The speedo types for the 600,750 and 900 are all the same.

Front tyre profile should be 60....any less and the speedo will be more ambitious.....

The stock set-up with a 60 profile tyre for the 600 and 750 will have an ambitious speedo.....mine used to show approx 35mph at 30mph.....if it increased with speed, I'm guessing it would have shown close to 80mph at 70mph.

With a 70 profile tyre (same as the 900), at 30mph it reads as near as dammit dead on 30mph, maybe 31mph.

AL

#19 Ghost Rider, Jun 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2012
Do Not Sell My Personal Information