1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Torque Setting On Head Race Yoke Installation 1199s

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Richie T, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Hi guys, just coming half way from building my 1199s.

Im on the stage in putting the torque settings on the headrace, a strange looking yoke nut that has 8 holes on the top to tight, have the special tool to tight the nut for the headrace/yoke that already in place.

Thanks for the guys that supply me the torque settings, just wanna make clear that 40nm
    is the required torque setting for this bike (as I'm used to japanese bikes installing head races) if its the same procedure when final tightness is applied. thanks guys.

2. I have the 2013 Ducati Superbike Panigale S Tricolore 1199 Workshop Manual.
    Is this the right one?

3. According to the list I've got 40Nm + Threadlock is for the steering stem to bottom yoke (M37x1) Top nut to stem is 25Nm +- 5% Agip PV2 Grease (M35x1)

• Like Like x 1
  4. 1199 - 4.PNG 1199 - 5.PNG 1199 - 6.PNG 1199 - 8.PNG 1199 - 9.PNG 1199 - 10.PNG 1199 - 11.PNG 1199 - 12.PNG 1199 - 13.PNG 1199 -6.PNG 1199 -7.PNG Frame 1199 - 2.PNG frame 1199 - 3.PNG Frame 1199.PNG

I hope this can help you. I removed this from a manual I downloaded from the internet

• Like Like x 1
  5. (Top nut to stem is 25Nm +- 5% Agip PV2 Grease (M35x1)) take it thats the side bolt that holds onto the nut with the 8 holes that clamps the top yoke the steering stem nut tobytyke?

6. No it's the ring nut (M35x1) the one with 8 holes that needs the special tool, the top yoke clamp bolts are M8x1.25 22Nm +- 5%

7. Getting confused so "40Nm + Threadlock is for the steering stem to bottom yoke (M37x1)" is what holds the top and bottom of the headrace bearing to the chassis" sori to be blond..?

8. The steel stem screws into the alloy bottom yoke so you end up with this
    dsc_2586.jpg
    That is what the 40Nm refers to, your's is probably already like this presuming you haven't removed the stem.

The top ring nut then sandwiches the bearings in the headstock

• Like Like x 1
  9. Got you tobytyke, didn't know you can actually take the stem and bottom yoke apart. i used to japanese bikes that the top steering nut torque setting is quite high more then 40nm. My r6 2008 is 115nm but just locks the yoke and steering together. i guess engineering is completely different which doesn't require a lot of torque on certain parts of the bike.

10. nope haven't remove it as getting replace cause the stopper broke off on both sides and some impact on the steering stem section, one piece which pictured above.

11. Yeah you don't want really high torque here it'll just crush the bearings, the japanese bikes usually have 2 nuts to sandwich the races at a low torque then the stem protrudes through the top yoke which gets bolted up tight against those with a top nut, this high torque doesn't transfer to the bearings :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Also Tobytyke, what's the required measurements height from the top of the fork tube adjuster to the top yoke, saw the maunal doesn't seem to be flush to the top yoke on "rake" race position?

13. Don't know mate, I don't think changing steering angle requires a change in fork position but I believe @royalwithcream altered his S to the steeper setting he might be able to give you an accurate measurement of how his is setup or at least some pointers in the right direction

• Like Like x 1
  14. I don't have any other measurements apart from the ones in the manual I'm afraid. Can you point me to where you are seeing 'rake' race position as I'm not following the question? The steeper steering angle is achieved by changing the bearings to the ones used in all the Pani R's or the 1299S, there's no adjustments available other than that as far as I know?

15. On the older superbikes the steering bush was a one piece eccentric which you could rotate to alter the steering angle, looking at the notches on the pani's bush I thought they could be rotated in a similar fashion but if I understand you correctly they only have one setting/position each and the 1299 & R are different to the 1199 to achieve a different angle, don't know what the OP's got fitted :Watching:

Bush.jpg

16. Ooo really.. nice. sori didn't explain myself properly, its in regards to fork tubes, i see on the manual when installing it through the bottom yoke and raise to the top yoke they come up a bit, not flush up to the top yoke surface. Need the measurement on standard setup.

[​IMG]

17. Ah I see, the manual gives the measurements. Here's a screen shot but if you send me your email address I'll add you to a dropbox so you can see the whole manual.

Screen Shot 2016-12-29 at 16.37.44.png

The Panigale steering head angle is not adjustable, you have to fit the different bearings. Number 41 (40 maybe fitted as a pair?):
    Screen Shot 2016-12-29 at 16.44.58.png Screen Shot 2016-12-29 at 16.45.09.png Screen Shot 2016-12-29 at 16.45.18.png Screen Shot 2016-12-29 at 16.45.25.png

• Like Like x 2
  18. Thanks royalwithcream, yeah just saw the diagram on the front tubes (top tube to top of the bottom yoke) measurements which u provide. so looking at 254mm (-+0.5mm)

19. Thanks GFFM, i think I got it covered.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information