1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyre Bead Broke During Fitting

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Sikorsky From Hell, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Hi,

Had a rear tyre puncture, Bought a new Pirelli DIABLO ROSSO Corsa tyre and found a local motorcycle garage to change the tyre.

Punctured tyre (same as new) came off easily enough. The fitting machine struggled to force the new tyre on the wheel. It kept getting stuck at a certain point. The mechanic tried to fit it manually with no success and then tried the machine again. Whilst the new tyre was on the fitting machine for the second time, the bead wire actually snapped as the machine was trying to fit it.

Has anyone ever come across anything like this before?

The tyre was the correct size for the wheel.

Thanks.

SFH.

2. just fitted a rosso corsa 190/55 to my streetfighter, tbh it was a peace of pi$$, fronts a little tighter but wasn't a problem, done mine by hand.

Very strange this, Did you see him try to fit it? As long as its put on from correct side/ kept in recess and start opposite valve its very easy with little pressure required.

#2 jack999s, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  3. Not in my experience since using Micheldever Tyres and that has been nearly 40 years. Andy

4. is it possibly a mate at a car tyre garage??
    car tyre machines have different shaped heads to guide the tyre on, this is due to there being very little "wheel well" space on a bike wheel compared to a car wheel,
    or did you say "you wont scratch my rims will you" and for safe keeping they set the head further away from the wheel than normal:Wideyed:

5. No. The garage was a motorcycle garage I had never been to before. It was a standard motorcycle garage with a standard motorcycle tyre changing machine.

Anyway, they ordered and got me a new tyre and that went on without drama. Perhaps the tyre that broke was faulty.

6. My mechanic used to place tyres in the sun for about 15 min to be easier to fit...dunlop sportsmart are pain in the a**...

7. Don't happen in England , you could be waiting weeks .

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Lol... Forgot about that, here maybe a day or two!

9. always let the fitters supply the tyre, then its theirs, until you pay for it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. They were good enough to pay for the tyre themselves as they broke the tyre

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information