1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Used Bike, What To Look For

Discussion in 'Diavel & XDiavel' started by Rixy, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Hi.
    Picking 64 plate Diavel carbon red from dealer on Saturday.
    The bikes got 5k miles on it and I could do with a heads up on common faults, recall work etc. Basically anything that could save me grief later on.
    Cheers

2. Gen 1s had a recall on the side stand, they were breaking at the pivot, the number plate bracket welds were failing, but so far I think this was mostly a USA problem, my original is still fine and the dealer told me he had not seen one failing. Rear shock rose bush is prone to fail as it gets the weather off the rear tyre, you can fit a guard, look for vertical play at the rear wheel. Again Gen 1s had a few upper LCD displays failing, look for leaking rear brake master cylinder, rear brake is prone to air but few care about it, at 5k miles the rear tyre should be worn out, the front cups a bit check RHS for a flat in the mid section, rear just goes on the central section, small lines across it means it’s all done. Get the rear axel and chain cam re-greased as they corrode and don't come out. Rear cylinder header is prone to cracking around the lambda sensor, this is impossible to see as it has a heat shield, listen out for a high pitched noise from that area, its expensive to buy but can be welded up. The throttle cables rub the RHS fork upper, feel for where the cables touch the fork and you should feel the wear.

3. Cheers for info, this will give me a fighting chance when I pick it up. How many keys/ transponders should there be?
    Thanks once again.

4. You must have the red master key, I have one black active key which is the transponder, not sure how many they came with, possibly only one. Would be worth changing the pin code, the selling dealer (from new) should do this as part of the PDI but some have turned up with the factory code still active which the crim's know about. Suggest you get on the ducati forum, loads of info, much of the latest stuff is about the X, but it has 4 or 5 years worth of info on your model. Ducati Diavel Forum

5. Thanks for info.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information