1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1299 V4 Confirmed For 2018/19

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by burndownthediscos, Jan 20, 2017.

1. RC30 or RC45? :)

2. So do you think a 750 v4 could be the future smaller engine ?
    Edit ,you boys are quick

3. Think? No idea. Hope? Yes indeed.

Just imagine a bastard lovechild of an RC30 and a Desmosedici.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Oh no! I had just decided on a 1299 for this season - but I would want to jump on a V4 when it gets out. What to do between now and the time the V4 comes out?!?!?!?!?!?

5. A Triple?

• Like Like x 1
  6. If you want to buy a four-cylinder superbike, you have a choice of Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, BMW, Aprilia, or MV. If you want a twin-cylinder superbike, there's Ducati and ... um ... that's it really.

So if Ducati make a four, they will be entering a crowded marketplace. That's OK if they propose to make one or two thousand super duper limited edition specials. But if they are ambitious to take a major slice of the four-cylinder superbike market, they are going to need one hell of a good design.

7. stick on track. Buckle and bend in no time ;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. What's their choice? They need more power to compete at racing. At least the Jap boys can stop moaning about Ducati having capacity advantage :unamused:

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. what is available in the v4 though? Surely there is a limit to how much power is,available out of a twin and if so, to keep up a v4 seems logical to keep a distinction? (right word?) between the duke and the common as muck il4's

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Think that's the crux. Is the intention to one day run all Ducati as 4's or just the racer on the road?

11. It's not the end of the twin for Ducati on the road. I still think it'll be the engine configuration of choice. But for racing, they have taken the twin about as far as it can go. A few years ago a 1300cc twin was unthinkable.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Power, emissions, noise, all have probably helped consign the Superbike v2 to history.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. couldn't see ducati moving away from a twin across the board, that would be madness and unnecessary.
    but for the superbike it makes sense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. There's a big difference between a V4 and an inline 4. There are very few V4 options at the moment.

15. People have been saying that every year for the past 40 years. You might as well say that the fours development in racing has gone as far as it can go - and I don't believe that either.

16. I hope they do make a V4 1000 especially if it sounds like the tearing silk D16 however I'm fairly sure that they wont stop making L twins for the rest of the non superbike range.

• Like Like x 1
  17. I'm holding onto the 1299....until the V4 arrives!.... Fickle....yup! :)

18. I don't think it's the development itself @Pete1950 , but the development within the regulations. How long can Ducati keep asking for more cc's? They threatened to quit WSB a few years ago if the capacity limit for twins wasn't increased iirc.

They must look at the performance of the Desmosedici in MotoGP and think they can make a V4 work for them in WSB.

19. The Volkswagen Group has been using narrow-angle engine layouts in various configurations for over 20 years. How about a Ducati W4, shaped like the end four cylinders of a Bentley W12? It would fit into a bike just like a twin yet with four pots.

W4 engine layout.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  20. Very exotic but sounds expensive. Can you imagine the engine casing and valve train? :Nailbiting:

I'd love to see it though.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information