1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weak Signal Between Key And Antenna

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Android853sp, Mar 18, 2017.

1. I'm guessing that this type of issue is keyless specific rather than bike specific. Over a short period of time during the bike's 5th year, we found that you had to put the electronic key nearer and nearer to the antenna until you had to put it right on top of the antenna before the bike would come to life. The antenna has been replaced and now the electronic key has been replaced without making it any better. Has anyone else experienced this type of fault. Dealer is as flummoxed as us. Andy

2. On the 848/1098/1198 things can be improved by putting washers on top of the ignition switch bolts and then fitting the antenna shroud. This raises the antenna a couple of mm nearer the key transponder.

3. Not guaranteed but might be worth a complete power down ( battery disconnect) and reboot the electrical systems... seems to improve things on my iPhone signal wise, no idea why though!

4. I'm pretty certain that Ducati use nothing more conductive than a strand of Ed Sheeran's hair in that antenna.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Okay so let's get a little more technical. Can anyone explain to a mechanical engineer (retired) aka me, how the Ducati hans free system works ? I'm guessing that the key is a passive emitter and the antenna collects the key signal. What happens to it then and why would the signal strength affect whatever processes the signal ? Had a run out today and ended up taking the seat off Carole's Diavel and putting the key directly above the antenna just to get the bike started. It's definitely not funny any more :mad:. Andy

6. From the Technical Manual:
    Operating Principle
    Introduction

The Hands free system features two separate on/off buttons, either one of which may be used as preferred by the rider. For practical reasons, we recommend using the button on the handlebar rather than the button located underneath the plastic shield covering the Hands free system (in front of the tank).

In order to be able to turn the motorcycle on, the active key (which may be kept in the pocket, for instance) must be within 1.5 metres from the antenna located behind the Plexiglas windscreen. If the active key battery is flat or when using the passive key to switch the vehicle on, hold the key itself over the antenna (physically place the key on the lower part of the clear Plexiglas windscreen) while starting the vehicle.

If the steering lock is locked and the key is recognised, pressing the on/off button automatically disengages the lock.

Pressing and holding one of the two on/off buttons causes the Hands free system to send a radio signal to the key commanding it to “wake up” its internal electronic circuit. This function prevents the battery inside the key from draining when not in use, in other terms, when out of range or when the motorcycle is switched off. In these conditions, the internal circuit goes into a stand by state. When the key receives the “wake up” signal, it activates its internal circuit and begins transmitting the unlock code to the Hands free by radio. If the unlock code received by the Hands free system is correct, engine start is enabled and the dash board switches on.

The procedure for using the passive key (or for using the active key in transponder mode) is similar to the procedure with the active key. However, the passive key has no internal battery providing power for transmission, and the power necessary is re ceived from the Hands free system antenna instead. For this reason, the passive key must be aligned perfectly with and placed close to the antenna to ensure that it is powered and recognised. When the electronic circuit inside the key receives power from the antenna, it begins to transmit the unlock code to the Hands free system. If the unlock code is correct, engine start in enabled and the dashboard switches on.
    The antenna is not active but gets it's signal from the Hands Free Unit and since you have already replaced the active key it's my reckoning that the fault is with the Hands Free Unit.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Thank you. This is the conclusion I am coming to. Andy

8. Corrosion will affect the resistance of connectors and can cause all sorts of issues with low-power antennas and the like. Check the connectors are not corroded anywhere in the path of the aerial and clean anything that looks suspicious. If that doesn't fix it then it may well be a duff control module.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. We have a result - who'd of thought, brand new twin pack Energizer batteries made in China, sealed, in date packet and both batteries are flat as pancake. New stock Panasonic battery fitted to key and everything is up and running as it should be. Fingers crossed it is as simple as that. Gentlemen, thank you once again for your patience and support :upyeah:. Andy

10. Local interference? Added a carbon cover? Additional electrical equipment?

Mine was playing up yesterday because it was next to my phone in my tank bag. It has done it when my phone and key are next week on each other in my pocket too :)

11. Well, well. Who'd have thought. I often get the "Low Battery" warning. I wonder if it duff lithium batteries that I'm putting into the fob.

12. I'm a bit pissed that the low key battery warning didn't come up at all. Maybe the hands free unit doesn't recognise a fully flat fob battery. Only time will tell although I will keep a spare battery in my tool bag. Andy

13. Interesting! I'm enlightened:)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information