1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Tyre To Fit Onto My Dvt

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by ADS1, May 14, 2016.

1. Well guys.
    Went to Ducati Leeds today for service and tyres fitted. Rode home to Durham some 80 miles on single A road and the A1 in absolutely torrential rain. Horror show!
    Brand new tyres and road surface like ice. Aarghh.
    Obviously need to get them scrubbed in so hopefully get a dry Sunday morning and have a run out then.
    One thing stuck out straight away with the Roadtecs though. Bike definitely turns sharper. I took the demo strada out as a courtesy bike and it was on Scorpion Trails. I dont like them tyres at all. Made me realise how good the T30 is when I ditched my OE fitment trails at 2500 miles for T30,s.
    For the record I got nigh on 5k miles out of my rear T30 and there was maybe 1k miles left on the front tyre.
    Will update the thread when I get a dry run out on the Metzlers.

20160819_192003.jpg

2. Roadtec01 fitted for 500 miles almost all dry and hot conditions. Curvy two lanes in West Virginia. They are excellent with great feedback, excellent handling, and smooth ride. Will update later with more mileage.

3. What pressures are you running on them Hawkster?

4. Running 36/36 which I believe is correct for rider without passenger or luggage.

5. Hello folks,
    Just to add my experience with tires on my Multistrada so far.
    After 11k km the original Pirelli Scorpion Trail II replaced. Even though no tread had been left in the middle, as it is seen at the pictures below, the tires had very good grip in dry and wet, especially when the bike was leaning, as much tread had left at the sides. The Pirelli performed flawlessly till the end.

I decided to put on the new Dunlop SPORTMAX ROADSMART III. When the tires delivered, I realised that they had very strong carcass. I put them on with the manufacturer recommended pressures, which is 36psi for both, front and rear wheel, and I went for a quick ride at the ring road of my town.

The feedback of this first ride was as following:
    - Even though the grip was perfect, the feeling was that the tires was made of Teflon, as nothing was absorbed from the road.
    - At approximately 200kph the steering started to wave and
    - When I came back home, I could hardly touch the rear tire because of temperature.

So I did a search for the pressures and I found out that the Dunlop Fitment Guide recommended pressures are 2.2bar~=32psi for the front and 2.4bar~=35psi for the rear. Finally after some experimentation with pressures I ended to 30psi for the front and 30psi for the rear, for rider only, which I run for the last 5000km.

I have to say that the tyres warm up very quickly and there are load of grip in the dry (not tested yet in the wet).

As @Rainman above with T30’s, I managed to ride the Pirelli Scorpion's to the edge of the rear and I had no visible "chicken strips". Even though I ride the Dunlop a lot quicker and leaning harder, the width of the "chicken strips" at the rear is ~25mm. I managed to ride the rear to edge only once, at the Missano track session at WDW2016.

PirelliScorpion1.JPG

PirelliScorpion2.JPG

DunlopRoadSmart1.JPG

DunlopRoadSmart2.JPG

DunlopRoadSmart3.JPG

TyrePressures.JPG

DunlopPressures.jpg

#125 GiannisMulti, Aug 26, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Hi mate that's where i got my bike from . Not bad lads, I'm from Stockton so it's a long drive

7. Useful thread, after around 7.5K miles I need new tyres, the Scorpion 2s have been great but Andyt749 recommending the Angel GT seems the right fit me, mainly 2 up with luggage, long distance touring and no off road use. Hopefully I will get a bit more mileage out of them but with the same performance. Time will tell.

Update...

Got the Angel GT fitted and just had a great day 200 mile day trip to ilfracombe bike day on Saturday 10th Sept on them. The performed flawlessly, very happy with these on the DVT. Be good to see how many smiles I get out of them.

#127 Trickyricky, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  8. Well I finally got out today in perfect conditions to get the tyres scrubbed in and to see what they are like. Did approx 160 miles on my favourite roads.
    I can tell you that the Roadtec 01's are simply incredible!!
    Im blown away, I really am.
    It felt like the bike was swooping through the corners it was just so precise. Steering was really, really sharp and the bike was just dropping into the bends lovely.
    Might be me but it also felt more secure getting on the power exiting bends.
    I know everyone looks for different things from tyres depending on what you do with your bike but I like to stick it onto sport mode and go for it occasionally and it revelled in it today.
    I thought the T30's were good all rounders but these are miles ahead of them in my humble opinion.
    If I can squeeze 4500-5000 miles out of these then I do believe I have found the perfect tyre for my DVT Strada.
    Highly recommended.

9. I'm just about to take my Angel GT's off after 400 miles. They just don't suit me.

I've ordered a set of the roadtec 01 to give them ago after some of the reviews.

I'll put some feedback once I've done some miles.

Anyone interested in buying the GT's?

10. I have only just got a tad over 3,000miles from the rear on Roadtec 01's, I also found the wet weather performance tailed off at the end of their life.
    In the dry they were amazing.

Desperado

11. 3500 on roadtec 01. Some hum from front tire after 2500 miles. Wearing and performing well. Only been in rain twice was fine.

12. Might be. How much?

13. So
    Sorry they've now gone.

Cheers Andy

14. Which model of roadtec01 did you order, the regular or heavy duty version? I'm definately going to be using metzeler once my tyres are used up.

15. From memory there were regular as advised by the company who fitted them.

Desperado

16. I'm now back from a trip across the Alps (Stelvio, Fluela, Furka, Grimsel passes) and the Black Forest - gave the Pirelli Rosso IIIs a good workout! They took a while to get used to and actually seemed a bit 'squirmy' on the first bit of serious use, could have been a slightly poor road surface which caused me to lose a bit of confidence, but initially wasn't over impressed. Later found some nice black stuff on the Fluela pass and got my mojo back. The Rossos turn quickly and seem to have masses of edge grip. With the Scorpion 2's I could feel the TC working if I pushed hard mid corner, but no such sensation with the Rossos. Even gassing it out of tight 1st gear hairpins wasn't a problem. For one day only we had some serious rain which made crossing some of the passes entertaining, but I was really impressed with their wet grip. Pirelli say there not as good on the wet as Angel GTs, but the only issue I found was some wheelspin and TC cutting in when upright, possibly because of the 'pointy' profile which is designed for more edge grip.

So overall - well impressed. I'll have to see how well they last, which will probably be the deciding factor on whether I stick with them, or go for something cheaper next time, or more touring than sport.

17. R01 are nice, but only 4000 km in Spanish summer...
    Now moving towards more sportive. We think it's destroyed because of its lack of grip when accelerating into the curve. Conti will be the next ones.
    Keep you updated.

L's

IMG_0316.JPG

18. I'm on my second pair of Metzeler RoadTech 01s, and think they're superb.

Used them on a trip around Picos Europia, and I couldn't fault them.
    Done 1800 miles on the current tyres and there's still loads left in them.

19. ContiSportAttack III, what a change. Front of the bike is amazingly changed!
    Keep you updated.

20. The Roadtech's were very good during the warm weather but I've found them slipping a bit more in the wet as the temperatures drop this time of year, more so than the Pilot Roads I've used previously. Not a big issue but a noticeable difference.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information