1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 Wheels Advice

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Outliar, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Sorry if this has been asked, but all this forum-reading is creating a desire to upgrade something...

My 996 has had the full monty grunter work done, and new rear shock. So I've contemplated lighter wheels for ages as the final upgrade. I know it helps high speed track riding, and possibly a bit of acceleration, and anyway they look cool. So:

- for combined road and track use what type of wheel is best: magnesium, aluminium, carbon?

- How much weight do I need to save to really make a difference? (I have the lovely original 3 spokes on her, and will keep these)

- is it really worth changing road to track wheels just for track days, to allow having lighter but less pothole friendly track wheels? Or will I not notice?! (As a gauge: I'm front of inters group or back to middle of fast group, depending on the day and the track and the crowd; done all 4 levels at CSS but don't ride that often on track so slow at start of season or a new track; I've also become more cautious at the tender age of 47...)

- is it worth considering secondhand wheels? Where to look?

- what do you think of Oz Racing Piegas? Just like the look of them...

2. I'm probably going to be the odd one out but I don't think light weight track wheels are appropriate for our (UK) roads. I run Marchesini magnesium alloy wheels on my track bike and Marchesini forged aluminium alloy wheels on the 748R and 1098R. 1098R might be an unfair comparison because they are mentally light. If you could do one thing to improve the handling of your bike, once the suspension is sorted, wheels would be (has been) my first port of call. Andy

3. Thanks Andy. So forged aluminium are okay in your opinion for road use? Worth upgrading to for track benefit?

Sounds like I should just get them for track use, and use the 3 spokes on the road...

Not really sure I need to do it at all TBH, but if it made a difference on track and gave me an edge over the more powerful bikes for short circuits I'd consider it... on long straights I'm just underpowered anyway.

4. Forged over cast every time for the road. Same bike for road and track on a budget, forged aluminium alloy is the option I would go for. Andy

• Like Like x 2
  5. I replaced my three spoke wheels with five spokes and noticed a difference straight away, not sure whether it was the wheels or the new tires fitted with them but much better and they look better.
    Steve

betts has a pair for sale at the moment at a good price if that's the way you want to go.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Someone on the Forum has a set of carbon/mag wheel for sale for a 996. Got a set on my bike and the difference over standard is noticeable. Track only though.

• Like Like x 1
  7. @cookster has a lovely set of refurbished ones that would be perfect if you can convince him to sell them ;)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Thank Birdie, yes saw those - in fact
    That's partially what prompted this post...

9. Thanks - put in a good word, will you?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Looks like the route for me.

The carbon wheels are too pricey and I'm not keen on the look.

• Like Like x 1
  11. evening gents, @Outliar i am selling my carbon/magnesium dymags they are in amazing condition i had them refurbed at csa wheels which is now tpcs magnesuim refurbishers. have the paper work to go with them, they have silver inners with bare carbon rims. I had them on my 748r which did about 1000 road miles them put them on my track bike which did 3 track days before i broke it for parts. pm me if your interested.
    [​IMG]

12. Thanks Cookster, I'll PM you.

Lovely looking bike by the way!

13. Happy to vouch for the seller. Many of the parts from that bike are now with me....:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Me too :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Yeah - flipping fairings...:tearsofjoy: Missed out there!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Likewise, when I was looking to get new wheels, the 10-spoke Marchesini were only slightly heavier than the Magnesium whilst being much cheaper, stronger and lower maintenance.

I've done many modifications to my 916; power, brakes, suspension etc. and the best single change by far was lighter wheels. :upyeah:

17. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!

18. yellow track bike doesnt exist any more im affraid, nelson got 60% of the bike rest got sold in parts. It was a nice bike though.

19. Russian roads is even worse, but we go on CF wheels (Dymag and BST) without any problems for Moscow streets, I compared forged wheels and carbon - and the difference in weight was minimal, but the difference in price at the same time is very high.))

Do Not Sell My Personal Information