1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Multistrada?

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Steen, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Hi all
    I'm guessing this is not the first time this topic has been posted. I'm getting back on a bike after a few years out following a crash on my Triumph Sprint. Time to get the bike I've wanted since it first let the factory, but which model? It has to be second hand, I only have about 8k to spend or maybe 10k for the right bike so realistically lowish mileage 2010/11 or higher mileage 2013. Is the fueling (and consumption) on the 2013+ that much better? Skyhook worth the extra cash? So many questions, so much indecision. Any thoughts out there?

2. @bradders or @AirCon can help here (there are other Forum Members who have opinions)
    :)

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Enduro; treat yourself to a proper multistrada. The big brother too the sister versions'

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Ducati Glasgow have a showroom full of them. never seen so many second hand ones in one place.
    might make it easier to do do a deal?

5. Yes saw that - long way to go for a test ride but tempted.

6. do a deal over the phone after a test ride nearer to home. sure they will feel pretty much the same. with a ducati warranty no worries. good bunch to deal with.

7. I haven't had the early version but had two skyhook ones now. For me the skyhook is worthwhile, and the motor even standard is smooth with the twin spark, the original was single and many found snatchy low end.

The market is fairly awash still with 2013/14 bikes as many were traded in for a dvt (like mine) and have PCP deals expiring so should be lots around.

The earlier models suffered from glitches and porous heads in some cases, 2nd gen the finish seemed to be worse

Me? Later means better IMHO.

8. Just to add, touring S 2013/14 incl panniers and heated grips iirc so worth considering if you are doing touring

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I had a 2010 S Touring and it was a little lumpy around town but hardly worth mentioning really and I could forgive it anything for how it was everywhere else. Superb bikes. If you're looking at that era then an S is the way to go. But I agree with Bradders and if it was my cash I'd buy the newest I could afford.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. My 2012 S Touring is the same, a bit lumpy low down but fabulous higher up the rev range. I might change it for a new version but the glut of used Multistradas at the moment probably won't help trade in value. Good news for the OP though with lots to choose from.

11. The one with the lowest horse power?

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. I have one of the first (2010) Multistradas. I've had terrible problems with poor finish and a few minor issues but, so far, nothing major. Having recently ridden the DVT back-to-back with mine (http://ducati.info/2015/10/04/gentleman-hooligans/), I (so far) prefer my engine and the Öhlins suspension to the Skyhook. YMMV.

13. I have the 2010. Had my fair share of issues but no real complaints about the engine. Oddly enough my engine was near perfect until I fit some fatducs and they seem to have made the fuelling worse. Taken them off now and it's not as good as it was. Why did I bother [emoji31]
    Awesome bike but I constantly worry. Don't think I'd worry as much if I had the later twin spark as they're bound to have fixed a few things.

14. I know the problem, it isn't a gnawing worry but you just can't be totally relaxed about it.

To assume that in a later version everything will be perfect is probably unjustified, fuel sender and heated grips to name just two.

But let's not put off the OP, the Multistrada is a fabulous bike which offers an almost unique blend of benefits.

15. Brilliant feedback guys, thanks. Sounds like it's a fine balance twixt the 2010+ and 2013+ S versions - later better in some respects but more feel from the ohlins - reckon it will come down to what deal I can get on the day.

16. Actually, one more thing - how much should I worry about low mileage? Some bikes going at great prices with 20k plus. Engine wise that should be nothing you'd think. Thoughts?

17. Properly serviced I don't see a problem. I am at about 16k and if anything the engine runs better than new, it is certainly smoother. It is the overall condition that matters IMHO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. The big services are at 15k intervals and they are not cheap, mine at 15k was about £700.

19. I've run Ducatis for more than 25 years and have always found that the most reliable ones are those that are well used and serviced on the nail. My 50k mile ST4s is running better than new with nothing other than regular servicing and the occasional suspension refresh. It's even (just) on its second clutch pack. The ones that seem to give the most problems are the garage queens that only do a few hundred miles a year. Fortunately, most people buy Multistradas to ride decent distances so you shouldn't run into too many of the latter.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information