1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

White Frame Model Colours

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by tricolore, Apr 23, 2013.

1. White frame needs touching up, anybody know a good 'off the shelf' shade match.

I also read that the 91 and 92 models ( same colour as 888's ) were a slightly deeper shade of red, again any good touch ups available.

2. for minor marks on the frame I have used a quality white radiator enamel, it's a good match assuming the original white hasn't yellowed.
    The red is slightly more confusing, if it's original it will have probably faded anyway (my original '92 paintwork was like toffee and marked up so easily) so an original paint code won't help much, whip off a panel and see if you can find a match via the trade, a decent paint shop will have colour analyser.

curious, have you found one?

3. I have white frame and wheels could do with a make over. As for the body colour my fairings are from a 95 model (gold writing)and match to the original top fairing(black/silver writing). Hope this make sense.

4. I'm not sure on paint codes, but I've had my wheels and frame repainted, and the fairings touched up, by DW Automotive. We discussed paint codes and I know he can match the original colours. He has spoken directly with Ducati in the past and gave me an interesting insight in to Ducati's paint process. The apparent difference in shades of red is often caused by the paintshop using one large vat to contain the paint being used. When they have finished using one colour, eg yellow, the vat is cleaned and red paint is put in. Inevitably some yellow paint remains in the system and the first couple of hundred red bikes come out slightly orange. That''s why it's rather difficult to sometimes get a good match just using the correct code.
    Del mananged to match mine up and paint over the datatag markings, and touched up stone chips and scrathes. I've spent a few hours today cutting, polishing and waxing. It's well worth the effort and the paintwork looks superb now.

5. Have a look at this site:

Standox paint clour code [Archive] - Ducati 851 and 888 Forum

The Lechler 46216 is from my limited knowledge of paints a base colour and needs a clear lacquer. Also there is very limited references of this colour on the Internet, so much so I contacted Ducati customer service and after months of chasing them they could not confirm if this was right.

Before I found the above site and colour reference, I took the frame down to a local paint suppliers and match the frame to the chips/cards they had. The best match I could get was Lechler 29184 (vehicle code MS CW9100). Don't forget the the colour fades and changes. I started off thinking I want the correct colour but in the end I think matching it might be the best way to go as Gilps has done.

I have had a bit of a spray with the above colour and it's not bad, so when it warms up will continue with touching up the frame. I also had a go with Hycote Vauxhall polar white, not bad but not as good as 29184, but your frame might have faded differently.

I am still a bit confused about the Red. Various sites say:

Red (pre 98) 473.101
    Anniversary Red (’99 on) 487.111

But the manual I have, and it looks like a pre 98 manual says 487.111. (I have a 92)

I will give the ford radient red ago first though as its only a bit of touch up.

Also Check:

Spray Can Water Basecoat Ducati Motocycle 46216 Bianco (400ml), Spray

Ducati Motorcycle Paint

& Ebay.

Cheers Gaz

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thanks guys.....every panel, mirror and mudguard looks a different colour, in certain light. Probably best leave the bodywork alone but I will try some of your suggestions with touching up the white frame.

I had a 1993 Monster and gave a sprayer the Ducati paint code and the result was like night and day, no way the original paint had faded that much.

7. It's a bit overcast today and this is indoors, but I'm pleased with the finished job.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  8. I bought a radient red touch up set from halfords and have to say its a dam close match, perfect for the small, err, touch up.

I also bought the RED turtle wax paint restorer T Cut, what a complete waste of money, I think if I'd of bought the black one I'd end up with the same result, it did nothing, didn't even cover the faintest of hairline scratch.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information