1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winter Sorn

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by ck_uk, Nov 18, 2016.

1. As above mate, by no means gospel but it's what the robbing bastards told me when I've enquiried about sorning during winter.

They then tried saying that if I cancel the policy I'll miss out on no claims. I did point out to them that I'd save more from cancelling the policy than I would getting no claims, which seems to make a lot less difference.

2. I've just read my policy booklet, and as expected there is nothing in there about a bike not being taxed affecting the insurer's liability.

Radiation, earthquakes and even the air pressure difference from an aircraft flying overhead, but nothing about VED. :Nailbiting:

I'll sleep easy tonight and won't be calling them tomorrow. ;)

3. That's always been the case as the policy hasn't ran for the full annual period thus not accruing another year's NCD.

People have been caught out by leaving a bike / car insured only to become liable for pretty large claims when the new owner has an incident without insurance. the 3rd parties insurer will then come hunting you down.

4. I know that, just made me laugh listening to them trying to justify me insuring the thing all year round, I can get lay up insurance which covers everything including accidental damage & transportation for around £100 a year.

My insurance is nearly that a month being 26 & having points now. The no claims hardly make any difference due to my age either. Even when I make a quote online with more no claims it's minimal.

5. I'm not sure about the insurance/SORN situation, it may just need insurance if taxed? Either way I fail to see what was wrong with the old system, a system where you only needed tax/insurance if you actually used it on the road - except that the new system brings in more money with all the fines, that and the new road tax that means they get paid twice for the month that you buy/sell the vehicle in, unless you can time everything at the end of month changeover.

All in, I see it as an easy, spineless way of milking us for a few more quid - a pox on the houses of all concerned...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. That's quite a saving, but I suppose it depends on how much another year's NCD is worth to you.

Insurance companies, don't you just love them. :Meh:

7. My bike insurance went through the roof after the second set of points. My own doing.

Only makes a difference on my bike as everything else is on my corporate insurance who don't give a shit.

8. Exactly that - if you let the insurance lapse and keep it taxed, you get a fine, automatically, even though the vehicle is not on the road. It's OK if you SORN from when the insurance stops. I assume that this is a quite different and lesser offence (should not involve points) than having a vehicle on the public highway uninsured. And of course it tends to penalise the basically law-abiding but disorganised person, while those who drive uninsured having lied to get insurance, or not having registered in their own name, will tend to get away with it.

9. Just called my insurer, Motorcycle Direct. They said it depends on the under-writer and had to call mine to check for me. For mine, as long as the bike is taxed for some point or the intention is to tax at some point that year it is fine to be SORN so i can flick between the 3 bikes. What I can't do is leave the GSXR SORN all year as then it won't be covered as i should have laid-up insurance. I guess you could say, was going to MOT/tax it next week but if it's not be taxed in the last 3 years that may be hard to argue.

My advice would be to call your insurer and check.

10. I am so glad that I moved to France, no road tax and no MOT for bikes. :flushed:

• Like Like x 1
  11. and NO winter !!!!!

12. Don't you believe it. Everyone thinks that as they never visit on January. Night times get down to -15c for weeks on end at times, but that means the days will be warm with sun and up to 10c.
    What we don't generally get is weeks and weeks of drizzle and grey skies.

13. Due to recent, unfortunate circumstances I have just spoke to DVLA about a related issue regarding my Son's cars.

Son 1 has a car that needs engine replacing/repairing and so will be off the road for a while, this leaves him without transport.

Son 2 has a car but has not yet passed his test so it is 'spare'. Spare car isn't taxed, insured or MOT'd.

To resolve the above situation, Son 2 is lending his car to Son 1 until Son 1's car is fixed (or replaced?).

This causes insurance, tax & MOT complications: If we insure car 2 separately it will cost loads of money as, Son 1 will have no 'no-claims' to use on a second car, so we can transfer the policy from car 1 to car 2 at no cost (actually gets a £1.07 refund as it's a 'lesser' car) but in either case the insurance company want the car to be owned by and registered to the insured.

To do this I have had to (online) 'sell' the car from Son 2 to Son 1 (this I need to do before taxing the vehicle otherwise tax would be stopped at transfer of registered keeper meaning we'd have to tax it again immediately) having done that the car is now insured for Son 1.

Car has now gone to MOT station and when it passes can be taxed (probably not online as, I'm told it can take 48hrs to update) after which car will be fully legal for Son 1 to drive.

Meanwhile, because I have transferred the insurance from car 1 to car 2, car 1 is no longer insured and DVLA tell me that it must be SORN'd (or taxed and insured) or he will get a fine, even though the car will not be on the road.

As it happens, in this case he shouldn't get stung with the double-road tax scam as it is unlikely to be repaired before December anyway - but he would have to repay November's tax if it was back on the road before December, even though it's already been paid for - this is nothing less than a criminal scam IMO.

Once car 1 is repaired we will then need to 'sell' the car back to Son 2 and reverse all the above insurance/tax procedures, meaning car 2 will now have an extra 2 previous keepers on the V5 - in this case it matters not as the car is a 12-year old shitbox that's not going to be de-valued by such, but it's a totally unnecessary situation driven by the grab-for-cash attitudes of both DVLA and insurance companies.

Don't know if this clarifies anything or helps anyone but I wanted a rant at what is a ridiculously complicated, costly and frankly unnecessary system, seemingly designed so that people fall foul of it and end up with a fine.

Arse biscuits... :angry:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information