1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1.54s At Donington 1000cc Too Much

Discussion in 'Trackdays & Rider Skills' started by nice1myson, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Exactly what I want to hear having just done the same and not ridden yet :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. I've done a number of car days at donnington, and never did they have the Melbourne loop open for that. After all the Melbourne right hander and Goddard left wold be crap in a car. I think I used to run low 1:30's in my road car

3. Gp circuit :tearsofjoy:

4. Bradders you will love the 675 on track its a fun little bike. When you on track next?

5. Not until Portimao 12 May. Hoping its like the 899 I rented at Silverstone last year. One session and more at home on that than I was after 2 years and a dozen trackdays on the K5. Thats why I changed.

• Like Like x 1
  6. just got some SC rubber, £280 delivered for Sc2/SC1 combo, so pretty happy with that

Whats tyre wear like? I was using a brand new rear slick in a day and a bit, hoping less power will mean I can get 3 days from a pair...

7. Depends how you ride and the track, but you should get 3 days out of a set

8. I've always worn tyres out quicker than average, very aggressive throttle use mixed with heavy rider seems to do that. No idea how the suspension is set up either, first job on day one will be set sag

9. Did Donington with Metzeler RR slicks (K1 & K2) couple of weekends ago with NLR and the front is perfect however the rear has suffered from 'Cold Tearing' so I'm told, so could have been too higher pressure - 27psi in warmers, didn't get to check after track as had to wait in holding pen each time so the tyre Temp had dropped (Told to use the K1 on the rear), suspension is spot on or could be my right hand!?!
    Tyres where excellent with great levels of grip and very confidence inspiring, just need to sort pressures / compound - Did my PB of 1.42 so well chuffed.

• Like Like x 2
  10. That's a bloody good time.
    Re cold tear. Try dropping the pressure by 1 psi at a time and see what pressure it cleans up at. But I'd be cautious running much lower than 25 psi @ 70*c.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Temp was but around 10 degrees not sure what track was? Think the K1 would have gave me more scope

12. That's a half decent time mate, as said probably inters and have a crack at fast group once you get to around 1'50" :) Donnington has some very fast changes of direction and this is where the big bikes are physically harder to turn because of the extra rotating engine weight, but it's hard braking that is probably the most physically demanding. I'm quicker on the Panigale than a 675 but only by a few seconds and the 675 feels like a playful walk in the park in comparison. The Panigale 1199S is a very physical bike anyhow but even the Fireblades which are generally considered to be one of the easiest liter bikes to ride fast still require plenty of fitness to make the most of. That said you can achieve good fast group pace with out moving your body position at all so fitness isn't neccesarily essential, it just makes the bike work better for you if you can move around more.

13. I think a little rebound can make cold tear worse too. Makes the tyre work harder. Think Spence had that on his 675 and after very small adjustment cleaned up

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. With rebound you'll normally see a variation in the width of the tear.

#34 Northan Monkey, May 25, 2016
    Last edited: May 25, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Funny thing, sharing a bike. I was tearing the rear on a slick while the other fella was cleaning it up. But I am probably 30kgs heavier...

16. As in the rebound needs increasing?

17. Needs to return quicker. Can never remember if that 'in' or 'out'

18. In I think? Currently on 12 Out............so would need to go say 11 or 10?

19. I'd
    I have to disagree. You'd need more rebound damping to control tyre contact patch.
    Too much rebound causes the rear to "pump down" making the bike run wide. ( I'm not a suspension guru. It's just what I've learn by trial and error.)

20. chatting to a guy that knows today, suggests the same. Wind in 4 clicks, see what difference it makes (normally makes it return faster). If none then wind out 4 (from the original). Go big with one change first.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information