1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 1098s V 1098r

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by bigboot, Aug 7, 2014.

1. The only place to really appreciate an R is on a nice long circuit like Spa or Brands GP
    You wouldn't believe how soon170mph comes up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Are R's more highly strung than standard bikes or S's?
    Do they need more frequent servicing or unobtainium bits? I always thought this to be the case.
    In what way is a 1098R different to say, an 1198s?

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  3. It's mainly down to the difference in materials used particularly in the engine. For EG, the valves might be Titanium as opposed to steel, there are others but can't remember them all.

Also there are some cosmetic differences too like a 1 piece Carbon Fibre seat unit/ Gold wheels/ TTX shock and forks, but you need to see them both together to see the differences tbh.

#23 samieb, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  4. Yes, more highly strung if ridden hard... Err, no need for more frequent servicing... Its faster and more raw/bonkers than a 1198S...

5. I got a few insurance quotes for a 1098R and they were silly high. One day I will own a R. One day.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Differences to an 1198 are subtle. Connecting rods are titanium, cases are sandcast magnesium, valve differences, being the main engine differences. Aesthetic differences are easy to spot. But the sum is greater than the parts: the way the motor revs, the way it makes the power is quite different. It hits hard and is raw and visceral where the standard 1198 is quite refined. Even in final standard form, the 1198SP only produced 170hp vs the 1098R's 180hp. Go figure.

The 1098S is a vastly more genteel bike compared to the 1098R. Minus 20-30hp, the 1098S is an easy to manage and well balanced bike.

My R is not so normal anymore, and in all honesty it's a bit too angry for normal road use. It's not about the amount of power it produces, but it's the way it makes it and delivers the fury. I don't think they will make a bike like it again.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Spareparts you have it in one

Do Not Sell My Personal Information