1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1100 Evo Supersport

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by richgilb, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Any more thoughts on bodywork?

2. Yeah I am thinking of filling that groove in that arcs from the belly pan to the mid panel. Seems quite a pointless part of the fairing design. What do you think? Also that shitty foam might have to come off for another minor victory in weight saving.

3. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. Just kept it simple in the end, respray and new decals on the fairing panels. Engine is in and running. Just need to raise header pipes an inch now to meet the ports....

• Like Like x 1
  5. So is it done yet? pics and a ride report needed :)

6. First ride on Friday! Just got to get all the plastic back on. I must confess I am now looking at a second winter project for it. Lightweight plastics, seat unit, lights, clocks and wheels.....it would be rude not to.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I took the bike out for a 280 mile ride yesterday. It does not like to start and stalls occasionally. Not surprising when you consider all the components are from the 900, I have not even touched the fueling yet. it runs great and strong when moving along.

Does anyone have an opinion on the difficult starting?obviously the fuelling is not helping but I also wonder if the lithium battery I bought (recommended size for a 900) is not quite strong enough, and if the SS IE benefits from extra cable from battery to starter (I thought this was a carby issue only). Any starter motor issues I might consider?

Any suggestions much appreciated, also any remap experts in Yorkshire?

#29 richgilb, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  8. starter cable mod worked great on my ss ie 750
    would it possibly be running lean with 900 ecu
    are you using 900 injectors or are they the same as 1100

9. Great, I will get a cable. Yes it runs on 900 ECU and injectors so it must run lean at least in some places.

10. sounds like dyno and reflash needed....bet its fantastic when set up though. love the air cooled engines .real road power and great fun.

11. Idrinkbeer, yes I have to accept defeat in trying to get it to run without expert help. I went to see Chris in Bradford last week and we got it running less lean at idle, which resulted in decent starting when warm.

It is quite frustrating, as it runs beautifully and the power delivery is nice, see dyno chart. But it still runs lean, so I worry about the pistons. Also cold starting is still a nightmare. The cables made a slight improvement in turning over but it still gives me 2 fingers on a very cold start. Chris suggested removing the lithium battery and checking my spark plugs are not iridium. It is frustrating as you get so close with just a straight swap but it is no cigar, I am afraid. The niggles are annoying enough to make the bike a pig to live with if not sorted.

Steve at Redmax put the engine in but he does not have the dyno gear. So it is off to Chris at Bristol for some digital fairydust. On May 8th it should be all finished. By which point, the bike will have stood me to........£5075! 1100 evo dyno with 900 ecu.jpg

12. Is that Chris at Louigi?

13. No. Cjs

• Like Like x 1
  14. Same bloke ;) Hes independent but on same site as LouigiMoto at the farmyard at Clutton :)

15. Pictures pictures pictures!!!!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. So close now. We have been down to Bristol for some electrical, mechanical and mapping issues. We placed the fairing on with worry that the new header pipes would touch the fairing. But they do not. The only thing left now is the missing fairing bolts. So I have a bolt kit coming.

Over the last 6 months the bike has been fettled by Steve Hillary at Redmax, Richard at Louigi and Chris Stedman at CJS.

[​IMG]
    The remap was interesting. We have an evo running on a 900 ECU, loom and injectors. And Chris was able to get more power than he was from a Monster. The manifolds on the Monster are shit apparently? Whatever, I am stunned that the project seems to have worked as hoped for. I was expecting a bit less power all round than a standard Monster to be fair. But to have more, and more linear, is a total bonus. I will upload the map with the monster and my bike when Chris gets it to me.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Ok, here is the dyno, showing how sad Monsters are against the mighty SS!

evo vs ss evo.JPG

18. And a picture of the doctored downpipes

image-22-05-15-03-56.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information