1198 1198 Tank Expansion

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by pauly, Feb 20, 2020.

Tags:
  1. nope, Marizio makes the odd slip up in the text now and then but it's the correct tank - follow the part number in the listing if you like :- 58611602AA

2. It's him that's got the red tank with a gold stripe for £900? Or plain red for £850 listed for 1198 superbike.

#23 pauly, Feb 24, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  3. no idea but the above tank will fit 848/1098/1198 as stated, bought many parts from M.P. over 12 years and he's good as gold.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Someones in a mucking fuddle I reckon :).

5. @Ivor

it's pointless trying to do an overall length, I would have to take it off like you, but clearance at the fixed pivot end is about 5 1/4 mm and clearance at the moving rod in the worst position is about 10 1/2 mm.
    also bearing in mind, that mine won't be perfect and has probably grown a little bit.

IMG_8090.jpeg IMG_8089.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  6. An ex Ducati main dealer told me it can be a struggle get a ballooned tank back on, after taking it off for engine maintenance.

#27 pauly, Mar 14, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2024
  7. it's nothing like as bad as the expansion on a Multi 1000DS when it comes to refitting, or a Cagiva Elefant. At least you can run it without a steering damper and still use it. The Streetfighter version is worse than the "superbike" because it can affect lock-to-lock also.

8. Not sure if they were exaggerating a little, but they also said if the tank is bloated, it can interfere with the key in the ignition.

9. I think that that is true of the street fighter, but steering damper is first problem on the superbike version.

10. They had a really nice 1098S in stock 3 or 4 years back, and they'd had to put a brand new tank on it. I think the list price of the Ducati tank was nearly £2k.

11. i flagged up an aluminium tank (1198) up on here a few weeks back, it was around £1.2K. It was something worth grabbing because it was O.E.M. and they certainly won't be getting any cheaper.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. That would be problematic as I believe that is a MOT fail?
    Let alone the damage to the tank itself should you not remember when slow manoeuvring.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I had an Aprilia RSV 1000 and their tanks were even worse , in the end you needed 2 tanks, one on the bike for a few weeks before it expanded, then replaced with the other ( even though I completely drained the tank and never left overnight. )

Another stupidly thought out law by the EUseless, to allow plastic and fibreglass tanks when they have always been faulty in use....

14. Mate had one first he knew of it was petrol pissing out over the vertical cylinder.

He had to bodge it with lots of sealant and then promptly made it someone else’s problem.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. I also had an 851 ducati that suddenly leaked from the high pressure lines because of ethanol - it was the horrible fur lined ones ducati used as oem. First I thought it was a small rain shower , only when I smelled petrol did I stop !
    Had to wait 3 hours for the AA to bother to turn up ( because the lines were hidden away and difficult to get at with the ducati tool kit )

Do Not Sell My Personal Information