1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 1260 Reviews.

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Wrecked, Dec 13, 2017.

1. When I had my bought, paid for and set up for me lovely blackird, all in it cost me around 2.5k. Then the zzr1400 came out, quicker, slightly better handling and the latest tool in the shop, it was also another £5.5. I bought the zz and yep it supplied what I expected but in no way was it worth the extra £5.5k and not long after I sold it and bought another bird.

I use that simple arithmatic now, is the bike catching my eye worth the extra £'s and will I get that extra £'s worth of enjoyment/fun/expectation if I purchase it? So far it's worked out for me and I save that extra cash lining dealers pockets and instead, use it to go on tours and actually ride the bike.

2. And i owned 4 ZZR1400's and love em to bits, but bloody uncomfortable seat on a long run but that aside, many a sports bike has been shown a clean set of heels in the twisties with the might Z14....go i miss that bike :( but at the end of the day, its not a Duc :)

3. As someone who rides a lot 2-up and owns a GS, I'm horribly offended :D

My MV Turismo Veloce had a just under 57" wheelbase. Now that was a quick handling bike, and was a handful 2-up. The 2017 Multi is stable 2-up, and we toured with it. But it certainly isn't what that bike is happiest doing. I'm willing to bet the new Multi handles similarly to my GSw, and perhaps not as well as the ESA and Telelever setup on the GS is pretty spot-on for loaded riding.

Everything changes...I just wish those kids would get off my lawn!

4. I'm surprised you say the 2017 is not happy 2 up touring.:worried:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Lock Thread Lock Thread x 1
  5. It certainly works, but I find that my perception riding the bike is solo > 2-up > loaded 2-up. That is in contrast to the GSw which frankly rides about the same solo or fully loaded.

It's all relative. The Multi is way better 2-up than my MV Turismo was. Horses for courses...

6. And a very smart dash
    [​IMG]

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. If that's your bike, be careful when wiping dust from the display. It scratches quite easily. And if that's your bike and you don't have QD pipes on it, put them on ASAP :D

8. Nostalgic, could that be the bulk of the GSW masks the effects of the pillion ?
    Or maybe the telelever?

I ride a lot two up, between 8k and 10k miles of trips a year on my 2012mts, with other newer mts owners. That's why I was surprised as I've never heard anyone say that before. In fact the only comment has been difficulty for the pillion getting on sometimes because of the room between rider and pillion, and peg to seat height.

Sure it is noticeable that the bike is heavier (obviously) with a pillion and/or luggage on it. In my experience it will still out perform the GS in every way except fuel range (solo or loaded). And that doesn't matter so much when your riding with other bikes with a lesser tank range anyway.
    Putting a pillion on the back of a GS slows it's handling, acceleration, and braking too, which doesn't help when it's already slower than the mts. For me the XR is a closer comparison but my wife doesn't like it.

The world would be a boring place if we all agreed, and liked the same thing. It's interesting to hear your thoughts though :upyeah:

9. Whilst this is a very sensible proposition I can honestly say that the bikes I've always enjoyed the most were the ones when I let my heart rule over my head.

If I let my head rule over my heart I always had a nagging doubt of 'what if?'

10. If it was the V4, mounted in the MS...then 100% would have bought one, but a software change in the dash display and 60 extra CC that do 2 ounces of bugger all and a quickshift....nah, ya all right ta, ill stick with my 17 Pikes Peak thanks.... more fun in the twisties than the new one, and in the future the Ducatisti will know which one they want :), just like the last of the V Twin superbikes...its going to be a future classic worthy of the collection.

It was a choice of both head and heart....both in sensible agreement for once :D

11. I don't want a Multi that is slower handling.

A 1200 DVT Supersport would be nice though.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Likewise. I believe that the DVT has the same wheelbase, rake & trail to my 2010, a bike which, once you’ve sorted out the rear spring rate, makes an excellent 2-up tourer, and certainly not as prone to 2-up power wheelies as my ST4s. Set up properly it hardly notices a passenger and luggage, save for a little more body language being required for quick flip-flops- I certainly wouldn’t change it for that reason.

13. The telelever is part of it (I like that design a lot for touring) I think. But the GSw doesn't have much more bulk than the Multi. GSw is 525 lbs wet, Multi is 518 lbs wet. The GSw does have a bit longer wheelbase, and I think that combined with the Telelever is part of it. Also, the GSw engine is all about torque, and it pulls smoothly from about 3K. I really don't notice much acceleration difference between solo and loaded on the GSw - the torque pull is still there. I do notice it with the Multi - I have to work the engine higher in the rev range to have the same sort of jump.

I didn't like the XR at all - engine or handling so that wasn't really an option. I have done 2-up and toured on an older GS (2008) which didn't pull nearly as well as the current wasserboxer, Aprilia Caponord 1200, Tiger 800 XRx, MV Turismo Veloce, and some others in the more distant past. Of all those, the GSw had the most similar feel between solo and loaded 2-up. Now that could be because they GSw isn't as spry solo, but that's been my experience. The Multi does fine loaded 2-up, but I think there is a bigger difference in handling on the Multi between solo and 2-up.

My wife finds it a bit easier to mount the Multi actually - the GSw sits higher. She doesn't complain about the room on either bike, and both are certainly more comfortable for her than the MV was.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. I'm delighted with my 2016 1200s model especially once I had the full race system and ECU fitted. Power everywhere with less weight... 12k miles in.
    It's all down to personal choice bit like when I had the 1199s then the 1299s came along to give more low down power. I still preferred the 1199s rush of power further up the rev range.

15. I'm still on my 2014 S GT, I still love it and cant see me swapping it out for any of the new offerings from Ducati. Why would I? I spent a few quid on it and it does every thing I bought it for, Reading through this thread it look like your all of the same opinion.

So who's buying one then?

16. Defo not, too much dollar and now longer than an inter city train :(

• Funny Funny x 1

17. Another reviewer from the launch who seems to agree that the older bikes are more fun and just as capable.

If I were buying a Mutley today, I’d buy a 1260. After all, you’d assume it’s better. But as an owner of a DVT I’m pretty smug with my choice.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. I paid a visit to the dealers today to have a look see.
    As reported elsewhere the gold wheels look nice, as do the better finish lines of the panels, and especially the seat.
    We had a play with the screen and buttons. It's been well thought out and is a nice improvement over how the 2017 screen layout is. The menus are very nicely done.
    Some nice touches too like being able to select between different screen layouts (urban has no rev counter and removes some other stuff to make it clearer, sport seems to make the Rev counter different - I didn't get chance to see how as we didn't start it).
    The left side of the engine has a big black carbuncle covering the water pump. No doubt it protects it but it does nothing for the looks.

To be honest the improvements are nice, but it's not swayed my decision, I would still like to ride it.
    That said, there are some attractive deals to be had on unregd 17 S touring bikes, and they may sway me.

19. All that mode stuff is what stopped me on the 750 gixxa's at K7. It's like the difference between a push button mobile and a smartphone. They idea of biking was to earn the rewards, not to let the technology do it for you so you feel like you just happen to be there because the bike needs you to turn it on and fill it up.

I think that is why I stick with older and more engaging bikes, not everything has to be Germanic and Ducati is clearly becoming Germanic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. But the thing to me then would be Noobie, how far do you go back. Do you go back to KH 500 or even further back to carbide lamps and wooden blocks for brakes. Surely riding one of them on a fast A road at night would be very engaging :confused:

#40 broke, Dec 20, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information