1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 1260 Reviews.

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Wrecked, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Nostalgia is a dangerous place, as some of you may know i have a *few* bikes, each and everyone is enjoyable to ride, but get to 1980's and before, your in for a VERY different ride and you need to adjust your expectations and skill accordingly. The GT750 is a complete nightmare to ride fast (its nicknamed the Flexi Flyer by the owners club for a reason) the Ariel Square 4 has reversed controls compared to modern bikes and it takes time to reprogram your brain. The 996 and 998 are vastly different bitches to ride compared to the 1200 DVT.

2. We’ve all got our sweet spots for preference, driven by our own motivations for getting involved in any activity. Which is great. In the Multistrada, I’ve hung on to my 2010, simply because - so far - none of the later machines has delivered the same combination of precision, excitement and practicality that floats my boat. That’s not to say that the DVTs and now the 1260 aren’t likely better two-up tourers, it’s just that they don’t quite hit the spot for me.

And this is a really mild debate compared to the ultimate “‘Ee, it were better then…” arguments that go on in any 911 forum - fireproof underwear is an essential there, when you’re considering every generation has its adherents for more than fifty years. And I have the same issue with those cars: the new ones (I occasionally get a current spec as a courtesy car when mine’s in for service, and I’ve given one a bit of a thrashing around Silverstone) are incredibly capable cars, with awesome power, handling and road holding - over a favoured local stretch of road, I’m consistently a minute-and-a-half quicker on a 20 minute journey in a new 991 vs my ‘old’ 997. But I won’t be buying one of the new ones - for me, it’s not about numbers - which are largely irrelevant on the public highway - but about enjoyment and feel and the fact that my car (like my Multi) gives me more information about the outside world, requiring me to use my alleged skill and judgment to filter and prioritise inputs. Which gives me a greater workload, which requires that I raise my game to travel safely at a given pace in any set of conditions. Which is, for me, what it’s all about, once we get beyond basic utility needs. In fact, I’m rather amused by the fact that I often find myself driving more quickly point-to-point in my diesel SUV, simply because it’s so much more insulated from its environment, with automatic everything reducing my mental workload. And I’m quite happy with that, just as I recognise that other people’s motivations, needs and outlooks differ. If we didn’t have that, we wouldn’t have the wonderful dilemma of which of many sensory overload generators we should each buy. Definitely first world discussions :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. lol, this last set of posts has me smiling.
    Technomad, couldn't agree more about the 911 fraternity. I experienced that with my 993s and now 997.
    I dont tend to change things very often, and given the chance not at all :blush:

As for carbide lamps, my oldest bike is a 1911 Rudge which my dad once rode from Addlestone, Surrey to Saundersfoot, south west wales. He set off at midnight to do it in a day, and then went out for a ride once there, followed by a weeks tour of Ireland :eek:
    Single speed, direct drive off the crank, carbide lamps, no suspension except the seat springs, and cycle technology brake blocks onto the rim.
    Oh, and forget about electric start, you have to pedal it to start it and when you stop so does it too (no clutch).
    Its enjoyable to ride, but clearly not for everyone, a bit like having someone slap your knackers with a handful of nettles is (I am guessing here, never tried the nettles :p)

After my visit yesterday I am once again torn between the latest and possibly greatest 2018, or a cheaper unreg'd but equally great 2017.
    I need the weather to clear up so I can go try them back to back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I stopped in Riders in Bridgewater this morning and had a look.

The seat in high position is much better than the old, the low position is better - but still not as good as the smaller multi or the Enduro Seat.

Apart from that - the difference in appearance is small

Cover on Water Pump, different grab rails, slightly different side panels, different panels at front and different wheels - all small subttle changes - that you are hard pressed to spot - unless bikes are side by side ( and I have the 15 and 17 DVT S) - apart from the Engine - which has a different Cam Belt cover and the 1260 badges.

The dash was off - so could not check that.

That all said - I would still probably by the 1260 not the 17 DVT S - if I was buying new - sure you can save 3 K on the 17 plate at the minute - but come trade in time you probably get 1.5K of that back over the old model.

However I would not think of swapping my 17 plate DVT S for the 1260 S - just for the sake of it - I would need to be looking to change - the differences are just not enough... sure there is more power and torque - but how many of us use what the 1200 DVT S has and pushes bike to limits?

Tomorrow at riders Cardiff for hose change - so may take the demo out if I can and weather is OK.

5. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUCATI-M...205057?hash=item25e86c5a41:g:O98AAOSwY~laOo9W
    Brand new 2017 S for £13395

• Like Like x 1
  6. That's a cracking price. Regd in april.I wonder whether the warranty started from the same date.

7. The review video on the previous page seems fair enough to me. I haven't ridden the new 1260, but I love my 1200S because it literally is so good at everything - scratching, touring, pootling around (OK, maybe not off-roading but who really cares about that anyway?)
    With it's longer wheelbase and more laid back geometry the 1260 may have had its edge knocked off in the sporty stakes and that's reason enough for me to keep the 1200. I do like the look of the new display though.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Its a similar road KTM went down, and confidence in that brand has all but stopped me buying an SDR :confused:

9. So........................... When you buying the 1260 then Wayne :)

10. That won't be happening me old mate. May still possibly have an SDR if an offer comes up ? Although, I was offered a mega deal on a brand new 1200 DVT Pikes Peak yesterday.......So ??

11. Welllllll, I know we all have different tastes and thank heaven for that, but, given the choice between one "Ugly MF'r" and a beautiful Italian classic I think I know which one I'd go for.
    In my opinion, only pretty looking KTM's are EXC's :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Yep - I looked at the price cuts on the 1290GT and was seriously tempted, but finally decided not to. But their doing that means that I will never now consider buying a KTM at anything like list price - the value risk would be just too high. It’s fair enough having runout deals like the Multis above when there’s just a few ahead of a new model, but there seems to be a large supply of the 1290GT with any update a year away.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Sat on a 1260 parked beside the 1200 this morning. You sit further forward on the 1260.

14. I sat on the 1260 at the bike show. I felt the bars were slightly further away for a short arse like me...

15. Part-ex'd my 2015 1200S DVT for a new 1260PP just before Christmas. Only done a couple of hundred miles so far tho I'm one of the few lucky folk in the UK who have spent this much time actually riding a 1260 and it's worth every penny in my humble opinion. Absolutely nothing negative to say about it.

Engine feels more 'meaty' pulls cleanly in any gear, fuelling is excellent. Idle speed stable (my 1200DVT had an oscillation in engine speed at idle) The engine seems a bit more noticeable though, bit more vibration through the chassis when pulling hard - not a bad thing IMO.
    Öhlins is superb and is very pleasing on the eye. Geometry changes have no adverse effect on handling/stability.
    Quick-shifter works very well, up changes from first gear are no problem and seamless, down changes as far down as second gear too (throttle must be fully CLOSED on down-shifts otherwise the system is disabled)
    New dash is much improved, resolution and layout and operability.
    Auto-cancelling indicators work.
    My 1200's rack and top-box fit.

IMG_0125.jpg

#56 catflap, Jan 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  16. the thing is, no one is forcing us to buy the new model, i have a 2016 PP and when i bought it people were saying it was a rip off, no quick shifter and no marchasini wheels. although i agreed with the fact it should have had the wheels and a QS i still bought one, specked it up with full system, loads more carbon , touratech seat reservoirs etc and had spent 24k by the time i was done. i toured the bike all over europe , the alps, italy, germany france belgium etc and i have to say the bike was well worth every penny. now ducati have released the new 1260 PP i have bought one of those as it does have the wheels and it does have a shifter, the extra length in the swing arm is to help it become more stable when under hard acceleration exiting bends and at high speed through twisting roads. all of which i think will be an improvement. the have also altered they rake to help with the turning so i think it should work out well, the bike didnt need any more power, maybe a touch more lower end grunt which the 1260 should give. anyhow time will tell but lets not forget that ducati is a luxury brand and although prices are higher than others the product is better, better looking, beter sounding, better handling and you get much more pride of ownership. if we are on a budget we would be on the africa twin forum complaining about poor quality materials and poor styling etc.......... although mine ready with all the required extras been fitted and is nowwaiting for me at ducati leeds i will be waiting until march to register it.. i for one can wait.

• Like Like x 2
  17. You'll love it...I couldn't wait lol

18. IMG_0099.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  19. I'm sorry Phil but I don't agree with you that a high price makes something a luxury brand or product, to me it just makes it expensive, especially when later you chuck many thousands of pounds at it to make it the bike it should have been in the first place.

• Agree Agree x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information