1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

15000 mile service

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by gpearson, Mar 12, 2012.

1. This isn't just a Ducati thing.........As far as I am aware all vehicle manufacturers do it.........based on my experience of working in a Group that also had a multi-make car dealerships.

It was particularly endemic with Ford.

AL

2. To be honest Andy, that's very common on items that are an issue of perceived NVH across the board, not just Ducati. Not everyone may have it, not everyone may notice it, and not everyone may feel it's a problem.

Whilst there may be other situations where it would or should have been done, to create a massed recall for such a subjective item as this is totally unrealistic.

3. This is interesting, I can sense a knocking at the front end but always presumed it was something to do with the screen. Anyway of telling guys or would you just know.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Sorry don't know....

I agree.......but I wasn't saying that there should be recalls, just that Dealers should be put on notice of potential issues (as they are already....Service Bulletins) but instead of do nothing unless the customers complains they should check all bikes they see for said issue. Customer service :biggrin:

5. As my 15000M service is fast approaching, I have phoned likely dealers to get a quote. Best and most sensible to talk to in my area was Seastar Motorcycles, Norwich who quoted £430 plus another £90 if the valve clearances needed adjusting. Worst case scenario seemed to be £520. I haven't discussed the work in detail but I was worried by the reaction from another large dealer. "Oh, it could vary a lot depending on what we replace" (OK so far). "We check the plugs and the air filter and only replace them if necessary." (Oh - so the Ducati schedule is ignored. What else doesn't get done?). I think this attitude comes from the fact that the majority of services are time related not mileage and they therefore get used to not replacing what doesn't need doing. I have owned and worked in a motorcycle workshop and I know the temptation to skip service items that really aren't necessary, especially if they are a damn nuisance to do. I strongly recommend that you confirm beforehand that EVERYTHING on the Ducati service schedule will be done. Otherwise, you may find that the less obvious and aggravational items, like fork oil, coolant and, if specified, brake fluids will not get done. Best way to be sure is to ask for an itemised bill. This may be available anyway in the form of a Ducati tick list (that's how car manufacturers work) but don't accept something that just says "major service" or similar.

• Like Like x 2
  6. But a mandatory check for one or more specified problems IS a recall, just not the usual "urgent" one. Customer service is something for the dealer to worry about, not the manufacturer - they just want to maximise profit by shifting as many units as they can and minimising the warranty claims.

That said, chances are any decent dealer WILL check and put through the relevant paperwork on the customer's behalf, with a "By the way, we spotted this, there's a technical bulletin on it, we're sorting it out for you". That's customer service.

7. I've never worked in the trade so just working on my own definition of a 'recall' which to me would be where the manufacturer writes to the bike/vehicle owner and advises them of the need for it to be taken to a Dealer for remedial work. From discussions I've seen elsewhere confusion on the subject is not uncommon!
    I admit I am prone to 'perfect world' syndrome.......I do have high expectations, especially of 'premium' high cost products - not unreasonably imho but in reality what I consider should be the case often isn't so :-(

"That said, chances are any decent dealer WILL check and put through the relevant paperwork on the customer's behalf, with a "By the way, we spotted this, there's a technical bulletin on it, we're sorting it out for you". That's customer service."
    Possible this may happen at the very best Dealerships for their most valuable clients (spot the cynic!;-) but as Ducati allocates specific time allowances for all servicing work it's unlikely that most Dealers will take the time to do this...........but yes that certainly would be customer service!

8. Unfortunately I've been in the Motor & Insurance trade for 30 years! Recall's will always only be by exception & "safety" related.

All other mods are normally either carried out by a dealer if/when a service is done or as with the rear brake upgrade by customer request.

There was a really interesting feature on Watch Dog the other day on Vauxhall Insignia's potentially catching fire. Vauxhall didn't deem this as Safety Related so no re-call was issued & the mods were only carried out at service if it was done by a dealer!

9. I know this is a bit off the topic of this forum, but doesn anyone know if there is a similar service bulletin for the Dash lights? My dash lights are glowing when the indicator is on, or at high beam....I know others have this issue from the forums, unfortunately West London Superbikes are putting their heads in the sand and want me to bring the bike for a full diagnostic...something I am loath to do as last time it took them a week to run the diagnosis for the Ohlins ECU. It would be good if I can take the document long and say...."no diagnosis neccesary, now order the parts and save me a lot of VRT (valueable riding time :smile:)

10. i am going through the dash light glowing problem! took the bike in to snells ducati for service and to investigate the light problem, apparently they were in contact with ducati and had to run a series of tests, which they did and did not solve the problem! just waiting now for confirmation from ducati to authorise changing the dash. so i guess they dont have a " service bulletin" yet.

11. ok the big service is getting close --- counting down now...

desmo service-600 desmo service -500

12. I WISH I had a regular source for all Bulletins but I just get hold of the occasional one by chance.
    This is a very well known 'fault' with the MTS1200 dash (and some previous Ducati dashes on other models!!) - most common cause appears to be water ingress. Search multistrada.net and ducati.ms for lots of evidence that this is a well known issue.

13. OK bike now in for desmo 15 k service...and forks warranty de-clunking work....will post what the damage turns out to be.

(got the diavel to ride around - which is nice - initial impressions is that the engine is very strong low down - reallllllly strong/almost stupid 0-120 times and then its 'too windy' and it has nice clean carburation, nice and loud (even the std exhausts are great - how the mts should be), bad points is the sitting position - sitting down but arms out front full strecth, annnnd hard hard rear end which goes through u like a hammer drill even on smoothish roads, oh and it doesnt flick from side to side as the mts).

bugs

14. ok update : 850 quid was the cost for any interested.

9 hours labour - 500 quid
    plus misc parts (brakes were stripped and new pads went in (about 50 quid of the 800).

so kids - its about 750-800...

bugs

15. My 15k service cost just under $200 U.S. doing it myself. Local dealer wanted $1000

16. hmm, andy do we have do it yourself instructions for doing a minor or major services ? yet - with pics for us amateur mechanics - as the bike goes out of warranty I would like to start having a go'

bugs

17. I'm working on that right now, I will post it on here and Andy will have it on his site soon.

• Like Like x 2
  18. yea but parts like the belts, air and oil filter, plugs etc..will add up to nearer 700-800

19. anyway, good news on someone doing the diy service instructions, that's fannytastik

20. Total cost £750 this included shims 3 openers horizontal and 4 openers vertical, labour was 7.5 hrs.(this also included a rear brake bleed)
    I will do another MPG check over the next 500-1000 miles to see if there is any change

Do Not Sell My Personal Information