1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1991 900 Ss Restoration (slow)

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by wolfram, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Progress today included building the rear shock up using the powder coated spring

[​IMG]

I also polished the inlet manifolds and attached them with gaskets.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Are those copper nuts your using on the inlet stubs?

3. Copper plated steel. Using them for exhaust manifold as well.

4. Realised that those screws in the inlet manifolds need to be undone if you want to balance the carbs. So i decided to replace them with A2 stainless allan screw-cap M5 x 8mm bolts. Didb't have any so I cut some 20mm down.
    [​IMG]

Big improvement from this

[​IMG]

#224 wolfram, Mar 25, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Certainly is! Carb balancing is quite straighforward although the screw is tricky to get to as its right in the middle between carbs, accessed from the front

6. There are two screws in each of the manifolds on mine, so on each manifold, one faces outwards, the other inwards.

7. On mine (also a 750) there is only one on each manifold pointing outwards. The inner one is blanked

I think you can notice it in this picture (quality is not very good)

manifold.png

8. On my 900 its just one

9. Been cleaning the sprocket carrier. Got a gold Talon aluminium sprocket to go on. Cant decide on Titanium or Stainless nuts. Thinking of lockwiring titanium... but a bit worried about galling.

10. i wonder why they had two each on some. and then blanked some off...
    I do like your alternator wiring!

11. perhaps they were used on other models that required different set up?

12. OK. having a nightmare trying to get chain adjuster bolts out of swing arm. These are the M6 weedy ones. I have been heating and using penetrating oil. I have them at 45mm out but i can tell the bolts are very close to wringing. anyone know how long these bolts are? am i close?

13. I'll measure one bud, 5 mins

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ok 21 mins, Mine have been changed at some point, IIRC they should be approx 75mm

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Thanks! not good news though... long way to go!

16. My early 900ss swingarm ones are M8........75mm long.

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. I think I'll have to cut the bolts off lower down and put on two lock nuts, so I can apply the torque closer to the swingarm, I'm just twisting the bolt at the moment.

[​IMG]

18. They can be a pig to get out, theres a threaded insert so heat doesnt work as well.

19. Mine were locked solid. No amount of penetrating oil and effort and patience would shift them. Mine had to be ground off then drilled out and a helicoil fitted on each side. It took hours to do. Stupid design really.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information