1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1991 900 Ss Restoration (slow)

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by wolfram, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Thats the hole in the side fairings, think he means the grille behind the nosecone under headlight

2. Mine is a '97...........the fairing inside should have two screw bosses at the extreme ends of the openings if it originally had a grille fitted.

But despair not..............if the OP wants a grille but has no fixing points, simply rub off any paint etc between the two openings inside, then stick a dollop of P45 in there........use some putty or plasticine against a piece of plastic bag to contain the filler; pull it off when hardened and drill a pilot hole for a single screw fixing...........

3. Oh I get it now. In that case my 91 bike has a grille behind the vent and I think my 92 SL had one too.

4. Very frustratingly, I came to build up the throttle only to find that i had been sent duplicate throttle close cables, not a complimentary set. This matters as the diameter of the thread is different on the two.

This comes after I recieved a speedo cable 3 inches shorter than original. Have put it on, but not sure if it will work long term as it is quite tight and gets in the way of the caliper.

Moral of the story, be careful when you order, and dont take their word for anything. Check part numbers if possible.

5. Do you mean the throttle cables from the grip to the carb? I'm fairly sure mine are identical

6. They look identical, but not. The screws into the handlebar end are different diameters.
    [​IMG]
    I'm assuming the larger one is the 'throttle open' cable, as one of the ones I have has a label 'throttle close' (branded Ducati) and the other has no label (branded Cagiva)

EDIT: Been in touch with M&S (Newcastle) who supplied the cables, apparently they are deliberately different connectors to avoid mixups as one cable is designed to 'push' and the other to 'pull'.

#346 wolfram, Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  7. This is the fairing that came on the bike - I had thought this was original
    [​IMG]

But now I think it is an aftermarket one, as both the others have part numbers and the grill mounting points... the black one has no date code, the one with the grill is dated 1992 (but has late style silver graphic and was from a 600ss 1994 on)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#347 wolfram, Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  8. The one without holes could be a Ricambi Weiss. I have one. Is it thinner too?

9. That looks a bit rough for a Ricambi Weiss......but the other two look genuine OEM apart from one being black.....

10. Being made of fibreglass is a bit of a giveaway that one is not oem.

11. My first Guzzi Le Mans 2 fairings were like that from new (on the inside, that is)..........Coburn & Hughes got it changed under warranty for the better smooth finish fairing.......in fact they managed to get loads of stuff changed under warranty.

12. the black is oem, in the plastic not painted

13. Ah.......well, mine are red gel coat OEM, with a paint coat on the outside, but scrape the gel coat away and the material is white..........

14. Hmmm you may be right about the gel coat - I had made an assumption.

15. Been so busy with other things... also started to lose some motivation with little niggling delays!

Got on with some stuff at the weekend though...

Throttle cables lubed (found out AFTER that lots of folk don't think it is a good idea to lube the new ones - oh well!)

Throttle cables and choke cable attached to carb (Helps enormously to have a mate, or a third hand)

Swingarm pivot bearings and swingarm installed (Cant remember which side the thin 'shim' was and did not take note - next time!)

Shock installed - for now (Have found some rubber 'o-rings' in the bag - spoken to several people about these. No one knows why they are there and feeling is they should be binned)

Exhaust headers fitted roughly (Phil put the swingarm on first, The swingarm restricts access to the rear exhaust port, don't be like Phil) The other point to note on this... I used an internet supplier for copper nuts, and the ones I got seemed exactly right, but did not fit. Only buy from Ducati supplier!

Made a collar by drilling through an M6 allen screw cap fastener and cutting the thread off so that I could reattach the drain hose clip on the alternator under the 'DUCATI' logo (I misplaced the original)

[​IMG]

#355 wolfram, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  16. glad to hear progress:upyeah:

once upon a time the "O" rings were fitted to the top shock mount, one each side, to protect the bearing from muck ingress, tis an awful faff trying to get them on, then one day upon collecting old ss from Baines service, I noticed they were missing, "yeah we don't bother with those anymore" :Arghh:

EDIT: for the avoidance of doubt I was referring to item#20 on parts diagram.
    353130554429.jpg

#356 WAH900ss, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: May 17, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Interesting..

I'm about to install throttle cables on mine.
    Could somebody give more colour on why it is not recommended to lube the new cables??

18. I read that they are teflon coated... i used 3 in 1 oil. They are very smooth now. I guess the people to ask are Ducati themselves. What is the reccomendation in the later workshop manuals?

19. Mine are also teflon coated. I have read that if you lube them, use motor oil or silicone based oil as they won't dry (3 in 1 may eventually do) and wont mix with dirt (this could block the cable)

20. The O rings on the Showa shock..... (not the Sachs Boge one).......in the eyes there are two top hat bushes that push into the bearing, one from each side..........the O rings fit one on each bush before they are pushed in.

There may be some in the Sachs shock, but I never found any evidence of any.......that's despite a main dealer sending me some which are definitely larger than the Showa ones.....but they still didn't appear to fit anywhere sensible.

For the throttle cables, I used silicon dry-lube.........you squirt it in wet and it runs through, then dries out.

All my drain hose clip thingys are stainless steel.....the OEM ones were so rusty, I knocked up some new ones.

#360 Ghost Rider, May 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2016
Do Not Sell My Personal Information