1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1991 900 Ss Restoration (slow)

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by wolfram, Jun 12, 2015.

1. for blanking plates use ply wood cut to shape (easy to work with) and silicone in place
    I have used soft foam tennis balls lightly coated in oil to bung up inlet and outlet ports on engines when stood but not for pressure washing
    don't forget the crankcase breather silicone a long bolt into it maybe easier to pull out

• Like Like x 1
  2. When I pressure washed the engine on my 400, I left the intake manifolds on and put bags on them and cable tied in place, and for the exhaust I left the front section of pipe on.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Looks a challenge, keep the photos coming,
    That battery box has seen a good bit of acid.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thank you for loving her and putting her right again
    They are lovely bikes

Enjoying this thread :)

5. Thanks for the comments

The wiring loom was a bit daunting, I could have easily pulled it apart, but I wanted to document every twist and turn, every cable tie gauge and position.
    [​IMG]
    Finally got it all off

This is where I am at now...
    [​IMG]
    The breakages continue, one of the the rear mudguard to swing-arm bolts has snapped off, and 3 inlet and outlet port studs/nuts are goosed.

A very high percentage of the weight must be in the remaining bits, coz it dosent feel any lighter yet!

#25 wolfram, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  6. Nearly ready for the engine and frame to be parted...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]I would just prefer to get the exhaust off first. Any tips on removing the bolts/studs? Here is one I have butchered with no success
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This has had:

1) Penetrating oil (AFC-90 and WD-40)
    2) Heat
    3) Chisel

contemplating an angle grinder next!

#26 wolfram, Jun 27, 2015
  7. Grind a cold chisel to a sharp narrow angle point and try cutting/splitting the nut from the end of the stud down to the flange..........it might even loosen it as you go.

I have one of those nut splitters but there isn't enough room to get the loop round the nut.

• Like Like x 1
  8. For the inlets, I used two rattle can caps and gaffer tape around the manifold.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Would a dremel get in there to make a start on cutting.
    Do like these bikes would like it in yellow or a yellow 748.

10. it might.

not that keen on yellow myself.

also, I'm a bit tall for a 748.

11. You must have the tallest garage I've ever seen, get plenty of crap in there :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  12. loving the pics hands on dirty resto :upyeah:

13. Grind it flat till your just about to hit the thread ,then try the chisel again, the grind will put some heat in it and give you something to hit, good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  14. IMG_0348.JPG IMG_0149.JPG IMG_0657.JPG Just completed an IE model 1999.
    Highly recommend Hycote engine spray paint. Bought from a road and rally type shop for cars. It actually hardens off enough when engine cold so takes away worry of damaging the paint putting engine back in frame. Fully hardens when engine runs hot.
    For engine side casings RS Motorcycle spray paint. All details on their web site. Get back to bare metal and use the primer, paint and lacquer they recommend and it is good for high temperatures. Also used this combination for wheels. Finished bike is on the for sale forum.

• Like Like x 1
  15. OK, I've taken a tip from adecarcer - I built a couple of 'sawhorses' and am lifting the frame off the ground. This way I can remove wheels, forks, and swingarm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#35 wolfram, Jun 29, 2015
  16. Go ahead!! you are almost there!

this is how mine looks now

2015-06-20 21.36.54.jpg

17. Update... not much done, rear wheel and swing-arm off.
    [​IMG]
    Mine does not have circlips - the Haynes manual suggests they are retrofitted.

Broke a bolt on the forks holding the front axle.

Now starting to think about supplies of bits and the right people to do the more technical bits.

new chain - tips?

also wondering what the paint code is for the 'ducati white'

#37 wolfram, Jul 4, 2015
  18. If you don't have circlips (or circlip grooves) you may have to get a longer pivot rod.

I fitted my 750 with an ally swingarm from a 900 and although the 750 had a steel swingarm with a pivot rod + circlips, the grooves are now hidden in the swingarm clampy bits.

But it hasn't moved in 2500 miles.........

19. Wrt the chain, I fitted an AFAM and new sprockets. I kept the 15 at the front and went up 2 at the rear. It's better than stock and not quite as severe as dropping 1 on the front which seems to be the most popular mod.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Not all 750's had a steel swing arm...1249 i think had alloy arms fitted.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information