1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1991 900 Ss Restoration (slow)

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by wolfram, Jun 12, 2015.

1. I think if the post has moved it may require a new starter...... not 100%

2. I think if the post has moved, it means a broken wire inside........which can be repaired.........but if the insulator has broken, there may be a short, but I think you would see smoke or smell it.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Frankenstein bike - just a mock up for now - anyone got any experience of fitting half fairings permanently? I don't have fixing points at the rear.

[​IMG]

4. You remove the two sticky out black tube mounts which support the full fairing lowers.......

You need two sort of S shaped (or Z shaped) brackets which bolt onto the frame from the inside...........Item 23 below.....

The mounting point is dead vertical above where the sticky out tubes are in your pic.......just under the top bar of the frame.

One M6 bolt holds each of the brackets on and a wellnut goes in the outer hole of the bracket for fixing the fairing.

If you have the low mounted oil cooler, there is also a bottom piece that fits between the fairings underneath....Item 27.

upload_2016-6-28_8-35-59.png

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. PS.....Use a hex head M6 to fix the brackets........it's a pig to get anything else in there to do the bolts up, other than an open end spanner.

If you can't get any brackets they would be simple enough to make......I can measure mine if you need the dimensions.

• Like Like x 1
  6. i have most of this - but not no23. i also dont have nos5 and 32. any clue of size of these components? will be ringing round to find a supplyer.

7. No 5 is a wellnut............I'm going to be away for a while today, but I will measure the brackets when I get back.....in fact I may have already got a photo with dims on it somewhere on my PC.

The bracket IIRC is say, two lugs approx 40mm long offset by approx 25mm.......they are something like 2mm thick pressed steel with folded edges for strength.

8. upload_2016-6-28_10-57-6.png
    11.60 euro in stock! They also stock new starter motors, choice of two.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Cool, I have these half fairings too. Was gonna mount and found same problem, no rear mount

• Like Like x 1
  10. Well it runs! After 16 years and a complete rebuild...

I have to admit sheepishly that the starter motor was my fault - apparently, i had managed to put it back together with a bit the wrong way round - the motor was spinning in the wrong direction!

I had also managed to omit the conical spacer on the rear axel - good job I took it to Ducati John!

It also has a weeping right fork seal - so they will be replaced then MOT by the weekend. SO HAPPY.

It has taken a year, and cost me much more than buying even the most inflated MK1 Superlight - but I have learnt so much, it is basically brand new, better than from the factory, and black.

I was inspired by this picture from Falloon's book in March 2015, and now I have the same bike!
    [​IMG]

#430 wolfram, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 8
  11. Nice, great feeling isnt it?

12. Excellent, well done :sweatsmile:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Fantastic! So pleased it started so easily - elated!

Here is another one

#433 wolfram, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Yeah, its running better than mine at idle. Dont add the reciepts up.....Im not.

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. And a before and after photo
    [​IMG]

#435 wolfram, Jun 28, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
  16. nice to see the weeding has been ignored ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Another couple of before and after comparisons

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#437 wolfram, Jun 29, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Are you buying the half fairing brackets or am I measuring them?

19. Buying, but thanks for the offer Al

20. that's looking rather sweet :upyeah:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information