1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1991 900 Ss Restoration (slow)

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by wolfram, Jun 12, 2015.

1. mate, seriously well done, you've rescued that bike from almost certain oblivion, you should be rightly proud, I applaud your efforts, hopefully for you this will mark the start of a great Ducati ownership / relationship (highs and lows) and long may you enjoy the fruits of your labours. Now get out there and stick some miles on it. (ahem, weather permitting of course) :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Hi Phil

Its a pleasure to hear your lady roar!!

Congrats for the great job.

Hope you enjoy her every minute.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Re the seat: you were right about the seat catch being different - the 1991 catch bracket is in two parts, whereas the 1992 one is a single piece, which is about 5mm lower. I took the original all apart, cleaned and painted. Then swapped to the black plastic. Photo to follow when i get the bike back.

4. Seat changed 93ish

5. passed MOT!

• Like Like x 5
  6. didn't expect anything different :coldsweat: (don't forget to change colour on V5)

7. A matter of days apart Wolfram....lets both get some good use out of our bikes this summer!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Cracking looking bike and good to see another one brought back. That really was a labour of love.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Im a bit conflicted on the V5. If i send off the log book, then it will only be a matter of months before i'll want to swap to red... On the other hand, i might get pulled over or have a problem with the insurance. Still to decide...

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. I spose given the rarity of traffic police these days you'd be very unlucky to get a tug, not like the good/bad old days (70's & 80's) when they seemed to be everywhere. (mind you it was usual back then to just get an ear bashing about riding for 20 mins and then be on your way sans producer)

11. oh yeah, I remember summer, do you think it might happen again, soon. (please!)

12. Lol, Im now waiting on a closer shim for the rear cylinder exhaust. Think it may be affexting idle as it wa slighy over tolerance .23mm to be exact

13. OK - just had my first ever ride on a 900ss (in fact any ducati, and any sports bike). Drove 72 miles on the A1M - not exactly the 'twisties' - but interesting in its own way.

I did a bit of research and concluded that the best approach to the first ride was to drive for about 20 miles nice and easy, no more than 4000 rpm and then stop and have a good check round for leaks, loose fastenings, etc. Then drive the rest of the way at high revs under load to build up crank case pressure for good ring seating....

So I did this, there was no issue at 20 miles, bike was nice and warm. the next 30 miles I took in 4th (i think) at between 8-9000rpm - with my low gearing that is about 85 (speedo is optimistic by about 5mph). then I hit the 50mph roadwork zone, so pottered along keeping the revs about 4000. Something I read said not to let the engine get 'bogged down'.

So it is home! with issues...

The battery box bolt on the right side has lost its nut - so replaced that and added a spring washer.

The dash lights and the indicators are not working anymore - all other electrics OK - tried changing the fuse, it is not that. Any ideas?

Had to clean the rear wheel - white is going to need constant cleaning!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#453 wolfram, Jul 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Think you'll find a new friend called threadlock - very handy with Dukes although you've got to be carefull using it on the engine threads unless you clean them everytime or like doing helicoils.
    I was always taught to constantly change revs and close throttle abruptly to bed new engine in, country roads with plenty of hills to put engine underload so it doesn't glave the bore with synthetic oils or better still do it on a dyno under controlled conditions.

I remember the white wheels being a nightmare to keep clean although it hasn't stopped me buying another one.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Who hooo!!

Congratulations Phil!!

Dash lights of looks like a faulty connector.

One question. Did you manage to solve the start/stop switch issue?

Enjoy her!

16. Indicators and dash light fault WAS due to a fuse. The spare was also faulty, which caused confusion. Changed them all for new ones.

Done 100 more miles today... mostly on rural roads over the north yorkshire moors. Beautiful! really enjoyed bimbling about. Lots of engine braking. Joined the Middlesbrough & District Motor Club Classic Run. http://www.motorclub.uk.net/ I wasnt even the youngest bike!

New problems arising from today include a) the seat chafing on the rear bodywork - apparently this was sorted on later models. I think i need to move the seat catch across a bit. b) the side stand bolts vibrating loose (ok, probable not helped by me riding off with it down at least once!). c) seems to be using a bit of oil - will have to look for any leaks. d) the tank breather does actually drip fuel - i had it cut short for ease of removal, but i dont like the mess on the engine - so going to replacd with a full length one

17. Seat chafing..........Are there rubber bungs underneath the seat mid-way which sit on the frame......? Later carbed SS models had them.

Sise stand mounting bracket bolts..........Drill and lockwire them.

Side stand pivot nut/bolt thingy.........You can actually lockwire it rather than use Loctite.

Can't help with the oil usage...........Maybe it was just the oil cooler and hoses filling completely?

Tank breather dripping.......Is it through the ally valve on top of the tank? Have you got it the right way around.......Little arrow points to the front of the bike / away from the tank.............but they can also be faulty or stick and leak........carb cleaner inside a couple of times might help (mind your eyes).
    Plus you can extend the drain pipes from the carbs and the tank overflow/ breather pipes.......I did my carb and battery ones with a wire loop fixed to the fairing.

Helpful pic below..... pic.jpg

• Useful Useful x 3
  18. thanks for the tips. i will go through them...

19. phew its hot! after work I went to the 'pit stop' in stockton tonight, then off on a run following my mate... now he took me on a b road he knows well and was keen to attack the corners! for the last 7 years ive ridden bikes with abs. before that ive had bikes with crap brakes... tonight i found out that the 900ss brakes are very much better than the friction between the rubber and the road! front end skid going 45 into at a 90 degree blind corner!

pleased to say i didnt run out of road and i have learnt some more bike handling skills. 330 miles now, and im treating it to some fresh oil.

clutch now makes a noise, was initially dead quiet. must be me wearing it out in town with all that slipping.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Ducati clutches are meant to make noise! Unless its a wet one of course. You should hear my steel SS clutch. Mate at work says its a Singer sewing machine.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information