1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1991 900 Ss Restoration (slow)

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by wolfram, Jun 12, 2015.

1. So much to do! Starting to tackle the electrics today. Going to clean wiring loom in isopropyl Alcohol.

Views on new rectifier, solenoid, coil, CDI units?

i just bought this kit - not sure why really, regretting it a bit as it will add wiring (i didn't read instructions properly, and thought it would replace the original, but it 'pggybacks')

[​IMG]
    Just reminding myself how bad it was...

[​IMG]

#161 wolfram, Feb 7, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  2. If they work, what would be the point of changing them? If it's cosmetic, then they're in places where only you will see them. If you're thinking about reliability, then I suppose it's a bit different, but these are all items that are pretty reliable once they're 'burned in'. Also, new, they're expensive, and second-hand (whatever they look like) they're still an unknown. I'd just get spares and keep them for contingency use :).

Actually, thinking about it, there's one more thing. Look at the connectors. These are the least reliable part, so check and clean them. I always use Contralube when re-assembling. It keeps out dirt and water, and it lubricates so that they're easy to put together and take apart.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ew, thats mingin

As re the cables, if they are really chunky they shouldn't need to piggyback. Are they replacement starter?

My SS has CA cycleworks coils, Ignitech unit and a solid state rectifier, all new. Solenoid is standard, but may also replace with solid state. Ingitech unit is particularly smart, fully programmable and has connections for fuel pump prime and gear indicator. Coil upgrade well worth it too. Original electronics are well old now.

Oh and ditto on the contralube, its not cheap but really good.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Good points. Thx

• Like Like x 1
  5. At the least, I'd go with (and have), upgraded starter cables (why piggybacked?) and Mosfet R/R - these are the bits that seen to give most trouble. I'd definitely fit an Ignitech unit as well - worth it even if only because it makes the bike so much more civilised at low revs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1

6. Would have been nice to see those charts include the superior IE

7. Quiet you

8. Have only had time to make sense of the 900ss carby frame numbers. Would like someone to do the 750ss, 600ss, 400ss and the 900ssie, 800ssie, 1000ssie. Any more? Would be interesting to see numbers.

9. Black tank back from paint.

[​IMG]

#169 wolfram, Feb 10, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  10. How did that scratch get there?

11. Looks nice, dont see any scratch?

A bit rusty round filler, hope insides ok

12. There is no scratch... Inside is fine (now the holes have been soldered). I should have done the rust before paint - but i got impatient for paint! I will have to sand it carefully!

#172 wolfram, Feb 10, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  13. OK - head bearings. I have got the old set off. They did not have any seals - just straight flush to the bottom triple tree. The new bearings do have a seal. Do i use it? it seems to me that the rubber would either foul the bearing, or compress and rebound, making it difficult to get the tightness right.

Advice?

14. Dont think there is a seal, I certainly havent got one and I have new steering bearings with no seal.

15. Seals?

Balls..........

....or taper rollers?................taper rollers don't have seals............or at least I have never seen any.

16. Is it a kit like this?
    If so, cant see how the seals would help anyway as its all sealed when its all together, no dust or grit should get in there.

Screenshot_2016-02-12-19-21-53.png

17. yes just like that - the 'seals' are the two washers with rubber outercovering in the foreground

18. As I thought.

Theres no seals like this on my bike

• Like Like x 1
  19. Great support on the forum! Thanks for all the replies! They are going on in the morning.

20. Those seals will do SFA to keep crap out of the steering head bearings...........Trust me I'm a doctor.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information