1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2004 Ducati 749r...prices?

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Chris.King1, Nov 16, 2014.

1. I will get a picture up soon...but its been p*****g it down. Im not too fussed to sell, hence the title of the thread just asking for price guide. All 'aftermarket' parts are Ducati Performance parts and nothing less, the top fairing is the exact carbon one made by Ducati (the company that supplies/supplied Ducati the carbon fairings), cost 750EUR with the headlight conversion and painted by them, a further 200EUR, so the colour match is identical. The magnesium headlight bucket I had, I believe was put on by the former owner. Im considering the RS carbon tail unit, need to source the seat paddles though.

I think if you looking at keeping a 749 / 999 R models and as standard in the hope that in years to come they will be worth serious cash, then you will be bitterly dissapointed. I say they will always retain their value at around 7K or the future equivilent, as the years roll on, the more mileage, etc but of course more rare. It will just level out at todays prices. Just look at the 916 / 996 / 998 models, still brand new models, like the SPS and R models in the crate which can be bought, 0 miles and have an asking price of £20,000 and they just don't sell, same adverts I see year after year.

Unless you have have Foggys WSB or the actual AMA winning 999R or something similiar, then maybe a different story. If I was to get 1-1.5k more if I put it back to standard, then whilst its still a lot of money, its not life changing. However, I agree any mods made using anything other than Ducati / Corse parts do make me frown.

2. I bought an '04 carbon earlier this year and the things that tipped me to the machine I bought were that: it had most of the considered alterations/upgrades made that I'd want to do myself; it had the full 57mm Termi system (now complete unobtainium) and it came with almost all of the standard parts. These machines are, IMHO, on the cusp of long-term growth in value - they're still eminently usable machines but people will be buying with an eye to the future and the lack of standard parts will really hurt selling price.

In current condition, I'd suggest that your machine is probably worth £6500 or so - with all standard parts, probably a thousand more. I get the impression that there aren't that many buyers around ATM and those that are looking for a 749R specifically, are fussy. Those who are looking for a 749 with a few extra bits will be less fussy but will have lower budgets.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. When I was looking In 2009 (and I still have the word.doc when I was listing prices) at a 2004 model 749 / 999 R model, a standard 2004 749R was around 8.5k, some at 9k mark for ok mileage (at that time in 2009). Todays realistic value would be 7-7.5K, but by now it has slightly more mileage (unless stored). So, as yet prices has not risen in nearly 6 years, in fact gone down compartively by approx 1k.

So a 2004 749R (say 5000 miles on clock) in the year 2009 = 8.5k
    ...same bike (but lets say it now has 8000 miles on clock) in the year 2014 = 7k

Thats about 1k less. So unless its stored now, in standard trim with laughable low miles, I can not see how the maths add up. But speaking as a 749R owner of course I want them too and maybe they will and who cares if they don't, its not like every tom, dick and harry has one. Otherwise we would all be riding gixxers.

4. I was looking 2 to 3 years ago, they were averaging £5 to £5,5K. I bought a mint 999R with full 57mm system 4500 miles 18 months ago for £8K - one just sold at Snells I think, with more miles in just two weeks - it was up for £14K. My Fila was £10K - 1500 miles, 1 owner (documented with no gaps in MOT's) 18 months ago, one just sold within a week at a dealer for £14k with a few thousand more miles.

They are, and have gone up significantly over the last 2 years, whether that continues is another matter :)

#64 Exige, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. This is the headlight...

duc.1.jpg

duc.2.jpg

duc.3.jpg

duc.4.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  6. Yes it looks good. I would keep it if I were you. Get the seat done when you can and you will have your bike the way you want it .

7. very nice bike,, cant imagine what you could get that would be as nice,,, ( except a Pani-g )

8. Not loving the bolt on foot peg extender thingies.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. not easy sourcing the RS tail unit, there was a few on ebay in Italy, but now gone.

10. Looks better than I thought it would certainly - those foot pegs, are you a platypus, Duck Billed or otherwise?

11. You've got me worried, Im off to Clarks to get my feet measured

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. I've been keeping an eye on the prices of the 04 749R for a few years now - I too reckon they bottomed out 18 months-2years ago - and have gone up £1-2k since then. As ever with these things, there'll be an ever-increasing value gap between standard bikes (or those with all standard parts present) and modified machines. The £7k race kit is worth looking out for but both machines I looked at with that fitted appeared to have had (unsurprisingly) hard racing lives. Either the asymmetric Termi half system or the full 57mm system are, IMHO, essential.

#72 Technomad, Nov 22, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  13. Correct. The 04 did not have carbon seat unit or mag headlight bucket. 999R only.

• Like Like x 1
  14. While I am not a fan of the 04 nose cone with the extra air ducts, I love what you have done with your 749R! I think the single headlight looks great! I like how you have incorporated the carbon into the entire nose cone with that paint job. Looks like it came straight out of the crate. I know a lot of people looking to buy want all the original parts. But, I think you will find a lot of other people willing to buy the R models that already have the mods they are looking for. To each their own right? I love what you have done with your seat, it shows the extra wrap around carbon better with the seat lowered. Looks great. I can appreciate the time, money and effort to get it looking a certain way.
    I have an 05 749R, I added the rear carbon seat from an 03 999R. A magnesium bucket and matching stays from an 05 999R, plus a carbon nose cone from a 999R(minus the extra air ducts from the 04's), and the 04 carbon sides from a 749R. I do have all original parts, down to the exhaust, which is brand new, as the original owner installed a Zard before he brought it home from the dealership, Dog bless his heart...best sounding exhaust, imho that is.
    Your bike looks great and I have not seen another like it, that is for sure. Well done!
    My advice, if you have it still, DO NOT sell it, you will regret it forever! That is what I hear or read from just about everyone who has ever owned and sold theirs. Just sayin...

15. I see its got the usual 749R tyres on it.......

Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 16.14.11.png

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Thanks, Yes, I am keeping her now, a lot of time and effort gone into the bike...and always attracts a lot of attention wherever I go, like all Ducati's I guess. I still say the 749 999 has the most attractive cockpit to this day. Hopefully I will upload some pictures of the aluminium race brace it has. Was a right bitch hiding all the wires though!

17. I am happy to see any extra pics you want to post. I love how you fade from carbon to red paint, looks sweet! I want to do that with the carbon tank I am getting from a mate off the Ducati.ms site. Can you tell me how you made that seat cover? Is it neoprene? I am planning on buying a carbon RS seat and want to get a thin neoprene seat like the one you have. Any chance you would be willing to make another seat just like yours? I'd pay of course...I am sure you are busy much like anyone else, but I'd like to know what you used to create the pad regardless? The way it shows the wrap around carbon on the tailpiece is the best I've seen on any other 749R 999R seat!
    I can certainly appreciate the time and energy you put into your bike. The nose cone alone was a hell of a job! Glad you decided to keep it...beautiful bike! Post some recent pics when you have some time please.

18. I really really like that!

19. Me too ... class!

20. I would love too but my new job doesn't allow me the time to do it for you. However it's very simple to do. Firstly buy neoprene, mine is about 10mm thick and came with 3m adhesive backing.

Then get a piece of paper and place on one half of the seat, either left or right doesn't matter as long as the edge runs down the middle.

I then taped it to the seat with masking tape so the paper follows the contour. Then draw the shape of the seat as to where you want the neoprene to end, so effectively you are drawing one half of the seat.

When happy you can remove and cut out and flip the paper over which will give you an exact symmetry creating the outline of the whole seat.

Place this onto the neoprene and draw round the cut out shape, I used a white marker pen. I then cut using a surgical knife and wet sanded the edges

remember to cut conservatively as this sands really easy. Mine sits right on top of the seat and only curving slightly which allows you to see the carbon. Also you can use a smear of silicone once it's on the bike just under the edges. Mine has never lifted. Feel free to ask any questions or pm me

Do Not Sell My Personal Information