1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2008 1098r Vs 2016 1199r

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Adrian Stephen Bygott, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Thread moved

• Like Like x 1
  2. Swelling fuel tank and fragile pistons too?

3. And Hairy Minge called me a messer... Anyway isn't the 1198SP just an S with a paint job and an alloy tank?

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. @pauly no messing mate. Just come on here looking for info/advice re 1098R vs 1199R and got presented with DVs offering. I am looking at bikes and will soon be in the market to buy. Initially considering 1098Rs and 1199Rs but due to £ savings also looking at 1198SP.

As far as my previously owned 1098S goes, I thought the 1198SP was bigger, faster, more gruntier and had loads of add ons etc. Quick search showed the below. Not sure this is everything, thought it also had DTC?

"Ducati’s 1198SP features an electronic quickshifter, an Ohlins TTX rear shock, slipper clutch and a lighter, larger 18-litre fuel tank. Overall weight over the 1098S is down 1kg to 168kg dry. Apart from the limited edition homologation-special 1198R Corse, the SP is the ultimate evolution of the 1198."

5. Tis a tough one that. Very different bikes.

those prices seem ambitious in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  6. A nice sp for sale in Ireland.
    Decent money too given the extras listed.
    Tad under 10k sterling Screenshot_20210101-171918_Chrome.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. What you thinking @Advikaz ...by the sound of it can find good examples of these bikes at muchly reduced pricing...which is good...

If you have ridden all 3 could you advise on your experiences re differences etc. Cheers. A

8. 1299R is no where near Superleggara spec - it’s a 1299s with Akra

The 1199R was however as close to the SL with almost identical engine
    And I’m not sure you we ever say the 1199R is lacking in power or Torque, especially as you are say for the road.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. If you're considering the 1198SP, why not the "plain" 1198S? AFAIK the S only lacks the larger tank and the quickshifter (which might not be a bad thing given the supposed fragile nature of the gearbox?). I think some of the SP models came with a different paint job, which you might or might not like. I think the other differences you mention are between the 1198 and 1098.

All that said, if I had the funds I'd go for the 1098R all day long!

Good luck, whichever you go for, enjoy.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. @brettski et al lol the head continues to spin...

So lets say we are only considering the 1098R and the 1199R for purchase. Which is the better bike / ride?

Does the 1199R suffer with low end / mid range torque as some people would suggest? Is it really that noticeable? Isn't it worth buying an 1199R over the 1098R for the newer spec/power/technology etc.

How does the 1098R ride compared to the 1199R? is it really that different?

11. Two totally different bikes - one brutal power from the start the other not a brutal but rev round and higher than you would expect and goes like bat shit fast !

But your not comparing eggs with eggs

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Just out of curiosity, are we talking about the 1199R Mk1 or Mk2?

13. The picture posted is of the later Panigale R. Andy

14. OK, thanks - the one with the "proper" suspension!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Yeah 1199R Pani Mk2 (2016) vs 1098R (2008). Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  16. I think they call that a "first world" problem! Good luck either way.

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Sorry totally wrong there, the 1299r is almost sl spec, bloody great spec engine.A good buy if you can one for 22/23k new.
    Titanium con-rods and valves, crankshaft with tungsten counterweights, 116 mm piston with only 2 segments, optimised intake ducts, camshafts with increased lift, throttle body with aerodynamic butterfly valves, differentiated intake trumpet height for front and rear cylinders and racing air filter, guarantee incredible peak power of 209 hp at 11,000 rpm and 14.5 kgm (104.7 lb-ft) of torque at 9,000 rpm.
    Ducati 1299 Panigale R Final Edition: a Whole New World!

• Like Like x 2
  18. The 1*98 won world and national championships. The V2 pani won...err...the odd national championship. I'd take a 1098R over an 1*99R any day. I own a 1299S and pine for my old base 1198. Just for the torque, where you need it. The 1299S is fast, but its power is in the loony area and I ride roads. The 1198 had its power just where i needed it. Ive had to make so many mods to 1299 just to make it rideable at times. Thermal treatment to seat, frame etc and a tank extender to stop you sliding up to the bars. Plus I can't do track days on it, without putting the OEM exhaust on or in my case buying a rapid bike pro and some Akro baffles.

The QS and DTC on the 1*98 isn't worth shit. The extended tank on the SP would be useful though.

An SL is just a turd wrapped in glitter. It won fuck all and does not deserve any reverence. IMO. The 1098R does. Its the last proper batshit crazy Ducati. Proper Italian madness. The Pani is just an Audi. I'd love a 1098R.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. Analog versus digital

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. As with anything, people prefer different things and only you can decide for yourself. Never ridden the r versions but had a 1098, then went to 899, then 1199. After buying a 1198 for track use, the 1199 hardly left the garage. I've now got an 1198s after selling the 1199. Much prefer it but not everyone is the same. Try, then buy

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information