1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 D wont start 2004 model

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by xivlia, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Great looking forward to every problem imaginable on the 749 possible , so I can transfer the remedy to the 999 :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  2. I used silicon sealant and loads of masking tape to fit my carbon tank protector. Leave it to set over night and as long as you taped it tight enough it should be in the right shape

• Like Like x 1
  3. I like my termi full system (is a bit boxy, but guess i'm just used to it and it's quite "tidy"), but must agree, the GPR likes nice - and I bet it's louder than the termi (my only disappointment with the termi is its a little quiet, esp compared to my (now sold) SP2 which was thunderous).

Well done getting it sorted:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  4. thanks ! :)

however i have a slight problem with fuel leakage!

one of the hoses clicked into its place, but the other one wont! it keeps on moving out of place ever so slightly, and i thought it wouldnt matter, however... it did matter, i was letting the bike idle for a while and i noticed it stopped on one cylinder and started working only on one, and noticed the fuel was leaking, on the hose that was not in place properly... i mean i tried to set it in place but it wont go in place! not sure what to do about it really.... any ideas?

cheers

5. but the hose itself is fine, its the quick release that wont sit in properly. the seals are fine etc, and it was perfectly fine before i took it out. it couldnt have broken that easily?

6. If there was ever a bike that could do with a trip to a dealer and a good service...

7. Have you accidentally damaged the rubber O ring? It's easy enough to do. I believe the correct technique is to use 'rubber grease' when refitting the connector. I have had the connectors on and off zillions of times without using the correct grease though, and never had any issues but I was being very sensitive!

They are fiddly things, I would carefully remove the offending connector, examine it carefully to see how it works and try again.

8. yes I have also had a leak from these connectors , they should be replaced every x amount of times (cant remember how many uses) but a play and twist till it locates properly should sort it , just keep a check every now and then once sealed .

9. hello again!

i fixed the fuel line, the bike worked like a champ.

but, i JUST came back from outside, i wanted to hear the thing, and it doesnt start... same shit again.. it spluttered coughed and cut out, tried again, and now nothing...just cranks.

10. :eek: Groundhog day. Did you replace the battery , don't forget you've been trying a lot of starting without even turning a wheel ,your not giving the generator chance to help the battery. :wink:

11. but it worked this morning hassle free and i let it idle for at least 5 minutes then turned it off. and i left it for at least 6 hours and when i tried again, nothing happened. 5 mins of idling should charge the battery up right?

12. Did I read that you had re-used the original plugs? If so, they are most probably the culprit or a part of it.

I would swap the plugs if you didn't already and book it in for a service even if you need to travel a bit as your problems may be related to a whole load of issues some if which have previously been mentioned.

If it has good fuel, the pump primes, and has a fully charged battery then the causes are reduced. Do yourself a favour and open up the throttle assembly switch and look for any sign of corrosion in the kill switch as you originally mentioned it had been outside in the rain. Water gets in there and causes gremlins and can lead to issues like yours.

Do the earth strap mod (its covered on the forum and others) to rule out poor earthing.

Poor starting can be down to the above, plus ecu issues, tps adjustment, belt tensin, valve clarances etc, etc, etc all of which are scary if you are just trying to get it going.

Cover the basics as it was running before and if it won't run, have a beer and leave it for another day. If that fails get someone who knows what they are doing to service the thing.

13. If you had a lithium Ion battery , but not enough for a std lead acid, If the motors warm and doesn't need much to refire then yes it might be okay once but if you miss your chance then you need to get out the charger , how many volts have you got on your dash before fire up

14. I just read your latest post.... These things don't like just being started up for a minute as it will fowl the plugs, especially if you are using the cold advance lever.

Start it up when you want to ride the thing.

Swap plugs and charge the battery as 5 mins on idle won't doo it any good as they need a load of juice to start.

15. Hello again!

Ducati's seem to be sensitive to dampness, judging by the amount of rain about recently and the fact you said you don't have a garage this might be causing some issues.

Did you check your spark plug gap? I did mention previously that the gap looked a bit large.

In my experience if the bike doesn't start straight away it is easy to flood the cylinders with excess fuel and then every attempt to start it after that only exasperates the problem.

The horizontal cylinders coil pack is especially vulnerable to wet weather as the front wheel throws water all over it, there is a modification which is to fit a later type coil pack which seals on the camshaft cover much better preventing water ingress.

It is vital to have a well charged battery to provide it with the necessary Umph to turn the engine over fast enough and provide good voltage to the coil packs.

I would give the electrics a good spray over with wd 40 to hopefully dispel any moisture lurking in any cracks and crevices.

749 is such a cracking bike when it's working well, worth persevering with, my advice is don't touch it when your pissed off with it , walk away and have a go another time when you are in a better mood!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Don't want to be harsh, but 5 minutes on idle isn't going to charge shit.

And to be realistic, if you don't know this, then you are operating outside of the skillset required to have your bike running top notch. From all that you say, it needs a service. If you do get it started again, make sure that it is only when your next stop is a dealer's. When my battery was fucked on the 999 earlier this year, it was jump started from a car and taken straight to a dealer's.
    Have you tried jump leads? Can't remember. If it works with those, your problem is a duff battery (though you may have a host of other issues.)

From what you have said about your problems with previous bikes, I can't help feeling that you are one of those people who need professional bike help. And why not? I know I do, we can't all be good at everything. But if you want a French to English translation doing, I'm your man.

17. And if you need a sewing machine serviced.................................

18. or if you own a sewing machine , or maybe you're just a singer.:wink:

19. He didn't come on here to get stitched up...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information