1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

750 ss ie

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by johnboy, Feb 13, 2013.

1. one step ahead already in my watch list

keep em coming:upyeah:

2. Get some 999 forks on the front and it will transform the bike, bit of work but not overly hard, as the front suspension is frankly, rubbish.

3. What yokes did you use with 999 legs then? OE bored out?

4. Whats the issue with the forks? I've never noticed anything wrong with my 900ss ie forks..

5. not really planning on changing much mechanicly at the moment unless faulty parts
    trying to keep this on a budget as just wanting a fun bike to get back on the road
    thats when i can actually ride it properly lol

6. OE Bored out with shims, then made the brake spacers up, still got the tool here if anyone is interested in getting the OE ones bored out to 53mm.

Then I had a set of shims made for the bottom which are about 0.5mm thick, you look at them and they bend
    Top yokes bored out,
    [​IMG]

The bottom shims, the top hat wasn't needed, I just think it tidies it up and it also stops the shims dropping through the yoke and being a pain
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

900SS forks? Nothing what so ever, they are adjustable it is what I originally planned on using but finding 900SS forks is hard, and finding them at a reasonable price is even harder, last set I saw were around £350, a set of 999 forks cost me £120, and then the rest was about £150, slightly cheaper, but not by much. However it changes the offset slightly so you get much better turn in response and it drops in really nice.

The 750 forks are just damping one side and rebound the other, if you have a 900SS there is no point doing the 999 upgrade, only because the 900ss forks work quite well, the 999 ones are marginally better if you want the different offset, but not worth the hassle on a 900ss... on the 750ss though the front end is dire (imho) after moving from one set of forks to the other the difference between them is a cold wet windy november night and the other is a gorgeous summers day.

If you have (realistically) £300 spare and a 750ss it is an upgrade I would highly recommend, getting someone to make he bits can be a bit tricky, as the shims needed are wahfah thin (deliberate mispelling)

Sorry to take it off topic

7. interesting reading not of topic all relavent as long as you getting your hands dirty lol

8. Interesting reading. I guess this would also be relevant to the 900 sport with the non adjustable forks. I never knew there were so many differences between the 750ss and 900ss, I thought it was just one front brake disc missing and 150cc

#28 philoldsmobile, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  9. My 750SS has two front discs, I think you're getting confused between the 750SS and the 750SS poverty spec, I mean Dark.

The Dark ones (that I have seen) one disc, silver frame, silver wheels, usually grey seat as well.

My 750SSie the only difference between the 900 is forks (was the forks) it depends how your 750SS was ordered from the factory I guess.

I can get everything made up if anyone wants the do the 999 conversion.

10. Ahh, gotcha. I feel like I got a great deal every day having paid just £1400 for my very tidy full service history 900ss ie

11. nice ..........pics
    £1400 well thats more than i paid for mine (just)

12. There were some early carbed 750SSssszzzssz with a single disc, not that many......but the bike was in usual colours.

AL

13. Probably right, I am not that knowledgeable on the range per se, but pretty sure the Dark was the "pov" spec so always came with a single disc.

14. You guys are making me consider to get a cheap&ugly 900SSie and rebuilt it with that nice fairing and seat. I think I would try to remove the gas tank plastic hump too.

Those bikes are great driving machines, solid and well-finished and they are becoming cheaper than carb SS models.

Jim

15. go on do it whole there cheap
    not done much to the bike at moment as waiting for money to clear and started back at now after 4 months of
    but at least can use the workshop to do odds n sods
    started on numberplate bracket so far and had a rummage at newark auto jumble last weekend for odds

so the front end conversion from pits maybe missed why but why didnt you use the 999 yokes or do they not fit the ss ?

16. well started getting parcels today
    its like christmas ooh the wonders of ebay
    just got to get the time to start working on the bike now i'm back at work
    isnt it exciting lol

17. I can't remember I think the stem and stuff is different, and yokes were a bit more than tooling costs etc.

If you want to go down the conversion route let me know, I can get the parts machined up and get your yoke machined out if you go down that route.

18. wouldnt mind upgrading forks but at the moment money needed elswhere on the bike
    need to sort a few niggles and source another rear shock before mot
    at the minute just want to get it rideable by my standards
    but will keep in mind thanks:upyeah:

19. so the front end conversion from pits maybe missed why but why didnt you use the 999 yokes or do they not fit the ss ?[/QUOTE]

999 yokes (+ all 4v,ST's,later monsters,MS) have larger 35mm steering stem.

20. ahh different size stem
    so wouldnt a stem swap work ?
    just curious as done that sort of thing a few jap bikes before

Do Not Sell My Personal Information