1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

750 ss ie

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by johnboy, Feb 13, 2013.

1. well bike all back together and running seems to be fuel tight
    but still have missfire/stutter so new fuel filter didnt cure that bah
    so most probably a bad electrical connection .........lovely
    and the temp gauge is still intermitant lol ahh italian character

so what are we laying bets on
    coil breaking down
    bad connection on wiring
    or ignition pick up

well thought of a new logo to go on the bike that really reflects it

AIRFIX LOGO-resized_1.jpg

AIRFIX LOGO-resized_1.jpg

2. I would guess its plugs or coils

3. new plugs and leads bud

4. Sounds like its buggered then! :eek:

5. dont care what people say i never went near that exhaust :eek:

6. Check all earthing points, and break out the multi meter. Do a few continuity checks, looking for 0 ohms at any metallic part or negative pin on the loom when checked back to the battery negative terminal.

Pull all relays and look at the colour of the connections and pins. Clean anything that's black or green.

Check the battery voltage too, should be about 12.6 with everything off, rising to 13.6 - 14v with the engine running. If you gave a trickle charger on the bike the charging socket is ideal for doing this check, which is far easier than trying to rummage around under the tank with the bike running.

#126 philoldsmobile, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  7. cheers phil checking around the wiring was my next thought
    battery voltage is good charging voltage was good last time i checked it cleaned terminals on reg/rect as were corroded
    and not charging before
    think this is a loose connection somewhere as it has run spot on occasionally
    going to check if re routing some of the wires might have caused it i.e ignition pickup and coils
    just the thought of sitting outside in the cold getting it done is a bit well .........:frown:

8. Have you checked the two plugs off the regulator, they can burn out. You can remove the plugs and solder the wires instead for a better connection

9. going to check them again as they were a problem before

10. ok where is the happy bunny smiley
    had a check on the wiring today and found that one ht lead was fouling the ignition pick up sensor
    so re-routed wiring and tried out on the way home from work and faultless
    so electrical interference from ht lead must have interfered with ignition pulses hence misfiring
    so will have to see how it goes well weather permitting :biggrin:

11. It usually ends up being something really simple it's just finding it!

Really glad you managed to get it sorted.

12. cheers bud so far so good

13. Very feasible cause of the problem, no doubt at all it could have caused a fault, nice one!

14. glad it was one of the first things i checked before it cost more money lol

15. It's so interesting to look inside that engine because it looks exactly the same as my 999S engine (apart from the deep sump).

That probably also explains why the '9 blew up (bearings, bearing sleeves + cracked block) - I bet they also use exactly the same bearings even if the '9 packs about twice the power.

Jim

16. if you got something that works why change it
    oh forgot to post up yesterday bloody missfire still present bah
    found it missfires for around half an hour on a ride then disapears
    so thinking its getting some water somewhere it shouldnt and drys out when engine warmed up
    or a coil breaking down ? seems to be on one cylinder only me thinks
    so does anyone know if coil from a 748 is the same as 750 ss ie as might be able to lay hands on one pretty cheap

17. If its a coil breaking down its likely to get worse as if gets hot. The only situation I can think of where a coil is improved by heat would be if a coil was cracked harbouring moisture, and the heat from the engine was drying it out and stopping moisture shorting it out. This does seem highly unlikely though, and I've never actually seen it.

18. Yes, they are. I used 748 ones (or 996 - they're all the same!) on my old 620SSie engine and they worked fine.
    Here you go - Ducati 748 / 916 / 996 Ignition Coil - part | eBay

19. cheers antonye nice link
    phil i thought i would be worse as it got hotter
    but only seems to be on one cylinder so thinking it could be coil fault
    trying to eliminate as much as possible
    have come across outer casing splitting on coils before mainly on cars though audi a3 were a good one
    just thinking of having a spare coil to try

20. It's defiantly a viable explination. Coils do fail on bikes, and the vibratory nature of a ducati will give the coils a hard try.

Yes you're dead right, the A3 / golf / leon 1.8 20v engines, particularly the turbo were renowned for coil failures

In fact I saw a passat 1.8t the other day running on 3!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information