1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 / 1098 Modifications - what did you do ?

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Dubs, Jul 31, 2013.

1. about time lol.......now don't do it again.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. miles better in black.
    IMG_1143.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  3. bettes was only yanking your chain re coloured bolts, if its your thing go for it but yes looks much much better with black,fantastic looking bike ,I bet it feels sublime now with the suspension upgrade,glad to see you have replaced the suicidal foot pegs. have you fitted a steering damper?
    I had a base 1098 before the 1098s and the best mod was junking the crap damper and fitting an ohlins, made the bike feel much more secure.
    anyhow enjoy and im sure it is now worth 2k£ more without the anodised red bolts.

• Like Like x 1
  4. :upyeah:. no offence taken, i'm always up for a bit of banter.
    i was just messing with the red stuff and knew they were crap straight away but didn't want to put the eom zinc crap back on.
    i have a steering damper and kit which i'm buying off chrisduke. just need some time to get over there & get it fitted.
    also the ohlins shock on the back too then have it all set up properly. ;)

ian

5. the set up will transform the bike,my 1098s (now sold )on standard settings was bordering on dangerous. over here in norn Ireland the roads are fast bumpy country roads with tight corners hills bumps potholes tractors etc (check out tandragee road races ) but with time and patience I set it up much softer and could then ride the bike with confidence, you need to remember your not on a smooth track,and if you will you then need two sets of settings. also get your spring rates to suit your weight.

6. agree the ohlins shock was a great mod. Makes such a difference not being kicked out the seat all the time

• Like Like x 1
  7. the ohlins shock was a great change but to be fair I never tried to set up the standard one.the ohlins steering damper was a good improvement. my base 1098 was bought by a road racer and it raced at all the local events including the ulster gp and looked to go well on the standard suspension lol.they seem to be a bike that needs rid hard.

8. luckily the guy i'm buying the shock off is about the same weight as me so hopefully won't have to mess about changing springs. the forks however, feel rock hard. i don't know if they were ever set up by the ex owner who fitted them to the bike.
    the bike doesn't feel too bad at the moment but i'm sure a pro could leave it feeling miles better. another advantage i'll get from fitting chris's shock is that it comes with a ride height adjuster. i have a superpole seat fitted and even at 6,4 ish, i feel the back end is too high.
    hope to get it seen to before the end of the summer. mad busy at work right now.

9. Nemesis traction control on the 848...

The dogs bollocks.... Love it...

;-)

• Like Like x 1
  10. I had my suspension set up. Can't believe the difference it's made! Never bothered on my last bike as it felt ok how it was but the 848 was seriously firm (although I'm only 12 stone so that probably doesn't help)

They changed the front fork springs, fork oil and fitted my ride height adjuster.
    Slow corners were horrible before and it would bounce me out of the seat at any given opportunity also felt like the front wanted to tuck easily. Now it feels like a totally different bike! Without doubt the best thing I've had done, money well spent!

• Like Like x 2
  11. drilled and tapped out the top yoke to m6 ready to fit the damper.
    wasn't looking forward to doing it but 15 minutes and a steady hand is all it took. :)

IMG_1155.JPG IMG_1156.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  12. & fitted. a pain to fit with th DP key guard but nowt serious. :)
    IMG_1159.JPG IMG_1160.JPG IMG_1161.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  13. have you noticed the difference with the ohlins damper fitted?

14. Bettes, what's made a big impression for you regarding how the bike feels? Does it all just add as as a package?

15. hopefully i'll be out on it tomorrow and i'll see. i was going to go out on it this morning but had to go and pick wife's car up.

16. nowt yet! looks good though. :)

weather's been crap around here and with work being so busy, just haven't had the time. i'll be out on it tomorrow for a quick blast, so we'll see.
    thing is, i'm getting it ready for having the suspension set up properly. i bought the bike with the ohlins front end already fitted and will be fitting the ohlins rear with ride height adjuster in a few weeks time. and now i have the superpole seat on (adds 1" to height), i'll be able to get the suspension sorted once and for all. i put off getting it done until having all the right bits fitted.
    i'm sure it'll be a dream to ride once done.

ian

17. I imagine having the ohlins both ends is a massive improvement.

Yep, bike looks real nice.

• Like Like x 1
  18. thanks, mate. i'm sure it will be. everyone i've spoken to has said that swapping the std suspension for ohlins makes a massive difference.
    don't get me wrong, i like the bike as it is. but just trying to make it a little better / easy on the long rides.

19. Look forward to hearing what you think after its all set up. It will be very balanced, I'm sure.

• Like Like x 1
  20. yeah, i hope so! :upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information