1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

959 899/959 Vs Mv Agusta F3 800

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Five50, Jan 29, 2022.

1. You should hear it run...... animal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Looks like the SC high level exhaust on it?

3. Bellissimmo!!!
    Looks proper.

4. Yes SC exhaust and custom map.

Would be interested to know if it is possible to change shift to race pattern.

5. Looks smart, just be really careful of a few things..

1) battery strength, the stock batteries are made by ‘BS’ and it stands for bull sh8t as they aren’t the best, starting on weak battery can cause point 2 below…
    2) sprag clutches failing, there’s a newer stronger part and it’s not the end of the world but keep an eye on it
    3) excessive clutch noise, the baskets are a little weak on the euro 3 bike, loads of abuse can see the basket braking
    4) rear Cush drives wear out fast, they changed the design around 2019 for a more Ducati style setup.

im sure you’ll love it, it’s like a Daytona 675, but turned up to 11 and with more ‘edge’

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hi Phil, Thanks for these pointers, very useful.
    This one has a new battery and the MV charger has been replaced with an Optimate.
    My sprag failed on my 999, I know something about the start-up behaviour pre-failure and the damage this can cause inside the engine.
    We are going on track, so clutch and cush drives will get some hard treatment, but also frequent opportunities to look for damage.

• Like Like x 1
  7. cool mate, the only thing I missed was suspension. I’m around the same weight as Dave Moss, so his suggested settings were pretty decent tbf, the only issue I had was using a lot of the travel on the brakes, yet weirdly the suspension felt ‘firm’ enough when they set it up, so I think for more dedicated track work I would have gone up on the spring weights at the front but with less preload and it would have been great.

tbf though, the front end feel of the bike was so sexy I was terrified to mess with springs and oil incase I ruined it.

8. Stunning bike, congratulations!

MV's, whilst certainly not any better than Ducati's, are that little bit more special. Mostly due to rarity I suspect.

9. Rare is the word..... let's hope for the right reasons......o_O

10. Mine was a Euro 4 too. Amazing bike, best engine / stock exhaust sound I've experienced - felt very special. Oddly, the soft brakes were the part I liked least, and I had no problems with my 959 brakes, so I guess it's a bit of a lottery - which is how I felt about the whole bike, though I got in and out unscathed, and really glad I did it.

Streetfighter V2 next for me :heart_eyes:

11. I got in and out also without issues but I think a lot of that was the euro 4 aspect, either way I agree with the comments, my rear brake was garbage and always failing but my front brakes were great

12. OK, I could not resist it. Popped out to get some fuel and sort of got lost in the moment.
    Throttle. Crazy light, fly-by-wire compared to the 899. I have never unintentionally done so many wheelies, so have to re-calibrate road riding style.
    Suspension. Have to give this a chance for a proper set up.
    Tyres are new and the road was 4 degrees.
    Front brake lever is a bit too far to reach and brakes a bit indifferent.
    Acceleration is better than the 899.
    Exhaust. What can I say? It's loud, but wails as revs rise. Nice little pop on upshifts from the QS. Proper crackle on high rev down shifts.
    Gearbox. Unbelievably smooth QS upshifts, positive feel up and down.

It's going to take some setting up, brakes, suspension, electronics, race rubber and maybe gearing.

If anyone can help with race pattern shift please do.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Cool first impression! The airbox ‘howl’ is amazing, tbh with a standard exhaust the airbox noise is nearly good enough on its own.

I don’t think the bike is actually quicker than a 899 tbh, but I agree it feels it, I think it’s geared really short as standard tbh.

The brake pad compound I think is a touch soft compared to the ones they put in triumphs with the same calipers (the d675r).

some people like the throttle in normal mode rather than sport, but depends on what your remap has done too it. I always ran mine on sport mode tbh, I prefer the instant feel.

and yeah, when you smash open the throttle it does like to wheelie a fair bit, you have to remember, the wheelbase is nearly 5cm shorter than an 899, that’s actually quite a lot…

I bet it felt like a 125 handling wise though? My god they steer so quick and lightly, it’s like a push bike. I am still getting used to the R1 but it’s much heavier to make those little adjustments

14. Stole this from the MVAgusta.net pages, so worth signing up there. To retain the quickshift you need the action to ‘pull’ it like it does here still. But it’s obviously doable, that plate mounts on the side stand plate

2BCCE110-9B85-46A5-94F0-B8BEC92B3C37.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  15. That's useful, thanks Phil. I have joined MV forum, nothing like as useful as DF. That pic looks like pedal is reversed, so might have to acquire some new rear-sets. Adjustment would be good as I am 1.92m (6'3").......

• Like Like x 1
  16. Oh, okay, yeah you’ll need the rear sets to come back mate to get your knees out from where your arms are, the pegs on the Mv aren’t high at all I don’t think, but you’ll probably want them further back. Here’s me on it at 6ft, as you can see I had no room to get further back in the seat and I end up being quite upright on track. By comparison on the R1 I can literally lay my body flat along the tank if I really want to!

If you are even taller than me at 192, your elbows might end up being behind your shoulders

82DEBA38-E732-4B88-AE00-367D9CA12083.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  17. Hicky’s F3 Workshop Tour video for those that haven’t seen it. Gotta love the three-cylinder howl:

18. Sounds lush in this video as well, actually you can hear something I noticed with mine which is that it does slightly go flat right at the top of the range but really nice drive all through the revs. Imagine it though with an auto blipper, mine used to blip so quick ig was incredible

19. Yes, rear sets top of list and race shift conversion.
    I like to have my chest flat on the tank then left or right arm stretched over in the turns. Knee will be down earlier and later, so who knows, might even get elbow down.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information