899 899 No Longer Starting After A Hot Day

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by JRosc, Jun 18, 2023.

1. I have a similar problem on my R, went to assen, it hit 116 in 32+ - will cool once running into air

I've changed thermostat housing, maping sensor x2, temp sensor, gear selector, the issue still there - when I get home I'll clean the bottom rad out, change spark plugs - I don't think is the thermostat - mine feels like it runs rich since i've changed to a stock exhaust although I've mapped it but missfire in very low revs but not all the time

Only options left are these

Rad clean, sparks for misfire purpose, rad cilnder gasket (no leaks) i'll check when I change the sparks then is only mapping again

In the same boat as you mate but I would suggest to not go through the route i've took,

Ducati gremlins ei? o_O

2. Do you think mapping or running rich can cause overheating / misfire?

3. Defo overheating, Paul. If the mixture is off with the exhaust fitted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Paul, only takes less then a fifth of the radiator surface area to be clogged to cause heating problems.

5. if it was running lean enough to get that hot, your spark plugs would show obvious signs, so that's worth looking at. You would have white tips/melted electrodes at that sort of lean running condition.

Have you ruled out the water pump itself? do you get any oil lights on the dash? I ask, because the water and oil pumps are run off PLASTIC gears on the 899, which was a cost saving thing from Ducati.

The next thing is a leakdown test, because it's possible the head gasket has gone on one of the cylinders, either causing the overheat or prior too it with the overheat being the result.

6. The top radiator is clean, the bottom I'll take the r&g cover off and check it, it seems dirty but will check
    I can feel it's running rich as it standard exhaust pops (not termi), that's a sign of it ...

I will still want to change the plugs, just in case and I can find out that way too.. it's so annoying because I can't figure out what is it..

7. Water pump checked and tested, no issues, no warning on dash, the max I had was 117/118 but i did not take it further, still nothing on dash, no oil leaks, no coolant leaks, ( had a small leak previously hence why i've changed all of that)

Like OP, after riding the bike, starts a bit harder it almost feels like its choking due too much fuel, in cold no issues - but clutching it at low revs 1st or 2nd sometimes it cuts but does not shut the engine

I've changed the head gasket on the top before - radiator one I didn't as it had no signs and was clean, at this rate i'm ending up having a new bike all together with the amount of parts I've changed :triumph::joy:

8. don’t be fooled by exhaust popping, unless it has the pair valves eliminated you can’t tell that, I have a Daytona 675 for example that bleeds air into the exhaust on over run and sounds like it’s chucking neat fuel out the back. It isn’t…

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Thanks for telling me that, didn't knew, i thought that could cause the popping

Do Not Sell My Personal Information