1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

900 SS Build

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Stew, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Cheers johnboy, will do!

2. Really done a nice job there. The display you present for us is inspiring and very professional. Especially, the seat units you guys make are awesome. Liking your work.

3. Cheers Austyn - Although I think there may be a case of mistaken identity here as I'm just one man in a wee shed with one bike - I don't make seat units, although I plan to make one for this build at a later stage.

4. Nice bit of progress made over the last few days. Managed to get the carbs apart (which I've never done before) and got them into a small ultrasonic bath at work. They were pretty clean anyway but I thought it was worth doing while I had the chance.

Mounted the frame on the engine, mounted the swing arm, painted up the fork bottoms and fitted them with the clip ons.

Two notes:
    1. Generic 20 mm electrical grommets function perfectly as frame and swing arm plugs (tidies it up nicely).
    2. The Haynes manual seems to be missing the torque value for the swing arm pivot pinch bolts? It says in chapter 5 to use the setting at the start of the chapter but there isn't one there that I can see? I've used 37 NM for now as that's what I found on a thread on Ducati.ms (I think) through Google. Anyone got any ideas??

Other than that she's starting to look bike shaped!

Cheers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  5. i really like this, really really like this thread :upyeah:

6. Stew, do you have the part numbers for the K&N filters? What jets/settings are you running with them? How have you mounted the coils etc? Now the air box has gone.

7. Cheers Sev - I was actually reading through your '900 SS resurrection' earlier - that thing is gorgeous! Very inspiring! I can only imagine what it must have felt like going through everything that you did to get to the 'complete bike' stage. Superb.

Supervee - I don't have the filter part numbers and I think they are K&N "style" generic ebay jobs. Regarding the jets/settings - I am entering a world that I've never set foot in before - when I had the carbs apart I inspected the needles and came to the conclusion that they are not standard. I took photos and was going to post on here to see if anyone could tell the difference but then I remembered someone doing this previously (Arquebus perhaps?) and I was going to search the thread first. When the bike is built and running my plan was to take it to get professionally set up. With the coils etc. I'll have to let you know as I get to that stage, as currently there is a big ball of cables on a shelf that I haven't touched since getting the bike!!

8. ok cheers for that

9. sweet looking but its in the wrong place
    it should be in front of the telly so you can watch at the same time and make engine noises lol

seriously nice work :upyeah:

10. Lovely build, inspiring me for this winter :). Just a note re the K&N s evry bike I have fitted them too never runs properly, so now I use Ram Air pod filters. I believe that they flow better than K&N. No doubt someone far clever than I will come along and dispute this with gas and air flow dynamics proving that K&N are better :)

11. Yeah John boy - The frame was actually on the landing for long enough!!

Cheers Baldyboy, I'll keep that in mind and if need be I'll stick on a couple of ram air foamy ones.

12. I might be wrong but it looks as though you have Dynojet needles, but not Dynojet springs....

Post a larger pic of spring and needle together??

And...What does it have stamped into the main jets? Is there a little logo with the number??

AL

13. I took a couple of photos tonight. After taking a photo of the jets I've realised that what I thought was the 'main jet' is in fact the 'starter jet' - it has a wee number/logo on it.

Cheers
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. If thre are no sizes or markings on it, that's a Dynojet needle but its a Mikuni main jet, but I can't read the size in your pic (stock size is 140).............the spring looks like a DJ one.

Try comparing against this pic....the spring insert should be in the bottom one as well.

You really need DJ jets in there.........size, probably 150.

AL

Needles & Springzah.jpg

#54 Ghost Rider, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2013
  15. Thanks, so just to confirm - when you say that it's a Mikuni main jet - are you referring to the jet with the 'screw driver' slot and the numbers on it? Was having a look at the Haynes - Is this not the starter jet, and the main jet is the jet that has an o-ring and is pressed in and retained with the plate?

I was having a look at the link below:

http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/7101.pdf

I'm hoping that the main jets are the YJ124 models - I'll have to get them out and look for identification but from memory there was nothing on them.

Also, in the link the instructions say to turn out the mixture screw by two turns - this is what mine were set at which makes me hope the previous owner got the full kit.

16. Yep, you are correct, the slotted one is the starter jet.........(I was tired when I was posting).....that should be a 70.

The main jet is the one with the O ring..........

....Depending on which Stage DJ kit is fitted; for a Stage 2, I reckon you should have something close to a Dynojet 150 in there (my 750 has a 148); the OEM Mikuni would be a 140 with a square logo and the DJ will just have a number.

What the pilot screws are set as is immaterial and only a guide.....the float heights will affect the number of turns out......So it may not be a bad idea to make a note of the float heights.

Which DJ kit is fitted (stage 1 or 2 probably) can be determined by the airbox lid and the exhaust system.........If you have 'open' zorsts and 'open' airbox ie; missing or cut about (and I assume K&N cone filters would be the same as an open airbox), then the DJ kit should be a Stage 2.

The needles are the same in either kit and DJ will replace those FOC if they are worn....however, with your K&Ns I'm guessing they are more 'open' than an 'open' airbox, so you may even need 155 DJ jets.

AL

17. Cheers for that Al. I'll get in about the carbs again for a good look.

18. Found my tank hinge pin - think it may need a little spruce up . . . .

[​IMG]

19. I don't think that's from a Ducati......................rather more like a basinet hinge from Agincourt................

20. looks like it was found with a metal detector and dug up lol

Do Not Sell My Personal Information