1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

900 SS Build

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Stew, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Haha - I should contact 'Time Team'!

2. Bit of awkward bugger at it today. After fitting the clutch plates, pressure plate and new one piece spider style clutch spring retainer I realised that the small clutch cover I had previously bought will foul the retainer so the clutch is left completely open for now. I aim to get a fancy pants pressure plate at some point but as it's not stopping progress it can wait.

I had ordered an ex display hyperpro spring in as new condition for £35 pound odd, but during delivery it had worn through the packaging and had rubbed the paint off the spring, so back it went. Have fitted the newly painted shock with the tatty spring for now.

The plate that the rear caliper bolts on too has reacted with the bolts that a previous owner has installed and in trying to get one out I sheared it - it'll need drilled out with the other one looking like it'll probably need the same treatment.

Went to fit the rear wheel and realised that the powder coating has made the axle slots too thin for the axle to pass through so razor bladed the flat faces within the slots. In manoeuvring the wheel about I managed to $%£*($% chip the $£%^&£$ powder coat on the left hand rear end side of the swing arm.

Was getting pretty bloody pissed off (finishing night shift at 7am this morning probably didn't help!), put the front wheel on and rolled her out of the shed to get a proper look, then suddenly felt a bit better . . . .

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  3. Bike is looking great fella! I hate it when shit like that happens; happens to me all the time. You should look into some bigger K&Ns, those wee pods wont have much volume, and you actually get a small effect from the back of the filters.

4. Cheers!

Yeah - Baldyboy (andalso a local mechanic at a dealership) had previously mentioned that any bike they'd seen with them hadn't run right, and has recommended the ram-air type foam pods. (You had any experience of these?)

Also, it's strange you mention the effect from the back of the filters as I was fiddling with them today thinking that the seal wasn't very air tight.

Could you explain what you mean by 'effect'?

Cheers

5. I haven't used foam pods, and don't know much about them. I believe they're okay though. A lot of guys use K&N RU1750s on their FCRs; they have enough clearance side to side and under the tank. I'm not quite sure if they would fit on Mikunis.

The effect I mentioned is that of the wave travelling through the inlet tract. You can actually get a bounce effect as the pressure wave 'hits' the end of the filter. Honestly with your long inlet manifolds, Mikunis and no real velocity stack, I can't seeing it being an issue, but those wee pods are pretty small and pretty short. They have been known to cause issues with many bikes and I'm sure you'd have less issues with the bigger K&Ns.You'd need a good seal though. Good luck.

6. Cheers for that Kiwihame, will keep an eye out for the bigger boys.

7. FYI.............As you may be aware, the Guzzi LeMans 1 & 2 used to have plastic ram pipes with a coarse mesh over the end......Loads of people switched them to K&Ns, as I did..........

......but I had them off again fairly quickly as they severely affected performance, despite tweaking jets etc..........

......in the end I fitted spun aluminium Mallossi ram pipes with a finer mesh..........with those and Lanfranconi zorsts, I had to up the main jets a bit; but the performance increase was much better than the OEM set-up....

If it weren't for the fact that road sh*te off the front wheel could get into the SS carbs easily, I would seriously consider running with a similar set-up.....

AL

• Like Like x 1
  8. Got the belts on today. Was a bit apprehensive about timing set up etc. as I've never done anything like it before but it turned out fine. As I am going to be running a totally coverless/shroudless belt set up I had previously cut and filed the old (damaged) housings so as I could fit them round the already fitted pulleys and bolt them in place so as to get my timing reference marks, then remove them afterwards. I had to file down the cap head allen bolt heads so as they could pass the pulley.

Also, just a picture showing the difference between before and after:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  9. Its not unheard of (especially on track) for stones to flip in and wreck a motor with no belt covers...

10. I like the rustic look................should have saved your money :wink:

11. Yeah Al - there's nothing like a good 'patina'! :wink:

Bradders - I've heard this from a few sources and I almost decided against going coverless. Due to my covers being damaged/shoddy and the aesthetic quality of it, I eventually decided to go for it. If anything does go wrong I've only myself to blame!

12. You could buy some Rizoma covers, they just cover the pulleys, leaving the belts exposed. In fact you can take the pulley covers off as well leaving a cover end sized frame - I imagine the idea being, still leaves all the belts and gubbins exposed and whirring round, yet, in the event of a stone getting in, stops the belts from jumping straight off the pulleys, grenading your motor. There are other clear covers available. Honestly Stew, they are cheap insurance, when you consider the cost of the alternative, which is likely to include new heads!

• Like Like x 1
  13. I have foam pods on my M900 engine, made almost 5hp less with them fitted compared to with open stacks.

Part of my winter revision is looking for a better alternative...

14. Interesting. When I started along my mod route I looked at the alternatives. I went from split FCRs with the blue stacks and mesh filtration to angled K&N RU1750s (which would be the best thing for your bike Stew, IF you can fit them) to the much bigger RU2790s, because I changed to split single FCRs which will have a long custom stack. The bigger K&Ns flow a LOT more air, and that's what's its all about. Obviously open stacks are good, but you'll wear your motor out. As for mesh, just blow into a mesh filter to see how much it restricts air-flow. I discounted foam pods as being less efficient than K&Ns.

Stew, on the K&N website you'll find a table which has all the dimensions of the filters. All you need to do is figure out your flange sizes and clearances and you should be pretty well sorted. Hopefully they have something that suits your needs.

Having said all that, if I were you, I'd beg, borrow or steal some money to get some FCRs. They're a much better alternative, and some guys and I are working on a proper velocity stack that can me used in conjunction with K&Ns. Good luck mate.

15. For over 5 years I have run my belts open, and so far on the road I have avoided the rogue stones. Both my Monster and newly built SS run open belts, if it goes wrong I only have me to blame!!

Yorkie

16. Cheers Kiwihame, I'll have a look at the website. I can't stress how much of an absolute novice I am at all this, as such I'll probably steer clear of the FCR's at the moment. Yorkie - cheers, it's good to hear from someone that's done it and had no problems.

Also, on another topic - I was routing about through the bits today and found the carbon front fender. I sized it up against the holes in the forks and it doesn't fit. I also found two brackets that have been made in an attempt to fit it but it is clear that the fender has never been used. Rather than modifying the existing brackets or even worse, the fender, I think I'll try selling it on here. It has no identifying markings but after a quick search on the web I think it could be the same as the following item (it looks identical anyway):

THE CARBON KING MONSTER 696 796 1100 FRONT MUDGUARD FENDER FIBER DUCATI FIBRE | eBay

Am I right in thinking that this might fit the '98 onwards supersports as well?

Here's a couple of photos. The distance between fixing hole centres is approx. 70mm and the fender is in nearly new condition. I'll prob post in the classifieds too. Judging by other prices I'm thinking £75 + postage??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Be interested to see what you come up with. I have the Keihin blue stacks (with said foam filters) on split singles and am looking for better.

The main problem is that I don't have much room on the downdraft carb as it sits very close to the frame rail, I have acquired some K&N adapter/stacks with filter fitting provision; 85-3000 - K&N Powersports Accessories, Carburetor Adapter but don't know how they'll work or even if the downdraft will fit yet.

18. The ones we'll make will be short but will be tapered and have proper bellmouths (like the blue stacks). And you'll be able to put a decent K&N on top. That's the plan at least. I'm providing the info and my friends in the US are doing the work, so feel free to take some photos and PM me. Its a bit hard not having a racked FCR bike handy. I'd appreciate any input. The idea is to provide a good product for all.

If it goes well, we may even do a similar product for Mikuni carbs. Which would solve your problems Stew.

19. Hame, I was thinking about re-making the airbox so that it worked much like the old carbed IL4's works bikes where the carb sat inside the airbox entirely, and the filter sat on top potentially theory being that tuned length velocity stacks could be used and tested more easily - any thoughts or experience on this?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information