1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

900 SS Build

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Stew, Jan 2, 2013.

1. looking good there bud :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  2. looking good,just noticed the rear frame has been chopped,do the footpegs flex the frame?? she will be a bit fruity with the stubby cans on.

3. Haha - Fruity?! Yeah, the cans are pretty 'bodged' to say the least. Regarding frame flex - I've not noticed - I've not really sat with my weight on them yet, I'll definitely have a look though. Have you had experience of this with chopped frames?

4. I haven't chopped any duke frames but personally I would of triangulated back to the upright tube,they may wont to twist putting the peg into the swinger.

5. Had a good 'stand and jiggle' on the pegs - there is a small amount of deflection, but I would say it is negligible. Starting the minefield of making a new seat unit now, going to be fiddly I think.

6. good news on the pegs,wot style seat you going for? and wot material you using?

7. I'm going to go for a 'cafe' style seat of some sort, out of fibreglass. I'm thinking something along the lines of the shape Walt Siegl uses as seen at The Beautiful Custom Ducati Leggero by Walt Siegl The current seat has been modified in the past and re-covered, so I plan to re-shape and re-use the current seat 'foam', and also use the 'base plate' of the current seat as it provides such a good solid base. I have the feeling that this could take a fair bit of time but once it's done the build will be on the home straight for next year!

8. I've been keeping an eye out for a rear brake foot peg/lever for some time now as the previous owner had been using a bolt with a small piece of hose round it . . . Last night I thought 'Why not make one?', so on my break at work last night I did just that. Made it out of brass to match the Brembos. :wink: Pleased with the final result.

Salvaged a left over piece from when I made my old man a fishing priest;

[​IMG]

Lathing away;

[​IMG]

Finished article;

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  9. the satisfaction of making something yourself
    have a lathe at work but sits idle covered over as the boss not know how to use it .............
    yep nobody gets to use it even i am qualified lol

hell the things i could make if work didnt get in the way:biggrin:

10. Yeah Johnboy, can't beat it! We're the same at work, we get discouraged to use it, the Health and Safety peeps would have got rid of the mill/lathe/surface grinder years ago if they could have. It's getting to that 'idiots running the asylum' stage unfortunately. :rolleyes:

11. 3 lathes, suface grinder, mill mc, cyl grinder, pillar drills, pedestal grinders, pedestal polishing wheels, 60 tonne press, sheet folder, fly press, power saws, welding (gas, stick, mig) and much more here.

It does come in handy.

For work purposes, of course..

12. Any jobs going final_edition?! :wink:

13. +1 with gilly mandrel bender tig English wheel etc.....still need more.

14. A before and after of the rear brake peg;

[​IMG]

Peg looks OK in place;

[​IMG]

The assembled exhausts (wee stubbers!);

[​IMG]

Rear end shot;

[​IMG]

I have started through the absolute minefield that is the electrics. This is very new territory for me, and due to the amount of previous modifications I'm at the stage of thinking whether I should buy a new loom, build my own from scratch, or battle on with this snake orgy and get it working and then tidy as required. I don't even know how the bike was started in the past as I have an old photo of it before it was stripped down and it didn't have the right hand starter control unit fitted. One step at a time . . . .

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  15. bodged wiring on an italian bike how unusual :biggrin:

interesting exhaust bracket

16. if you need loom help give me a shout Stew. I've got a spare main loom you can look at if in doubt as to the mods on your loom.

I'm in the process of making a loom from scratch, well I say that its in the design stage at the moment. WTF are those connectors between the air filter pods?

Probably best to take the whole loom out and lay it flat then you can see what's occurring

17. When I used to rewire my yam lc specials I would put all the electric items onto the bike w/o the loom, ensure everything was in place and then design seperate looms for lighting ignition etc etc it is purely methodical

18. Cheers guys. Will definitely take up the offer should I need too.

Sev - Those connectors are two 'Arcol HS25' resistors, are they standard? Can't seem to find reference to them in the circuit diagram. I'm guessing that the plate they are sitting on has been moved/modified from somewhere else. Baldyboy - that's the route I think I'm going to take. Just get everything on the bike initially then make up the loom to suit with shiny new cable and connectors. I'm thinking of using 'weather pack' connectors - what type have you guys used? I can easily source cables and then order up some of that non adhesive tape stuff so no issues there.

Also, attached to the underside of the battery holder, on the left hand side of the bike, is a small white push button switch of some sort. Would anyone know what it is?!

19. that's why I asked stew, they don't look like a standard fitment item. As for the button, bugger knows, that's not normal either, so perhaps take the loom apart and see how far back it goes and splices into.

Baldyboy is spot on about the loom, the standard loom is designed to do its job whilst being cheap and easy to produce en mass. Nowt wrong with that but to rethink the look methodically can never hurt.

Weatherseal stuff is good, as are AMP super seal connectors, please get the right crimper for them rather than bodge it with halford shite. And lovely heat shrink tubing, which makes a world of difference instead of insulating tape or insulating tape wrap.

If heats rink is costly you might want to look at loom tape instead with a heatshrunk boot on each terminal.

Also, if you're looking to add divi dash or leccy speedo / rev counter / temp senders in the future, now is the time to add the wring runs into the loom. :)

20. arent arcol hs25 a resistor ?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information