1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

900sl Mk1 - 1992

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by WAH900ss, Oct 21, 2015.

1. The SL has always been more money than the SS. So it must be worth the extra or the used market would reflect this otherwise.

2. Yeah I know this, but my point is its NOT worth the extra money whens its thousands more for something that is only slightly different. Its a collectors bike, rather than much of an improvement over standard, unlike say my ST4s, which is much better than an ST2/4

3. They all look different as though two are copies, surely they would be the same if Ducati had all 3 manufactured?

4. 522 MK1's in the UK ? Where are they all ? I thought there was about 25 ?

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Locked away never to be used
    I recently saw three at a ride out. They are out there

6. IIRC the premium over standard for the mk1 wasn't that high, I paid moto cinelli £7,250 for my '92 half faired 900ss, the full fairing was about £7,500 and the sl just under £8k. Many moons later speaking with Geoff (G-TEC) he confided that their (moto cinelli) press fleet sl was actually a big bore 944cc conversion, which may have something to do with the largely positive reviews of the time, I think this in turn had an effect on demand and gave rise to the "sl mythology" that seems to have grown with age. I always remember their sl, it's number plate was J313*** and mine is J312***.
    (please don't misunderstand i'm not trying to undermine sl owners or perceptions of their machines, just trying to provide a little context)

#26 WAH900ss, Oct 23, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  7. Mk 1's are a bit trick with the marvics but the later versions getting lower spec as the years went on cheapened the marque and really the motor couldve been tweeked abit like the sps and early S 4valves were.
    Interesting the demo was 944, who did that Ducati or moto c.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. moto cinelli and it was press use alone, it also wore cored silencers, they were one of a handful of UK importers in those dark days and I suspect Hoss Elm (shrewd proprietor) was looking for an edge on his competitors, (he knew what he was doing as they later became sole UK importer) back then it was nigh on impossible for joe public to get a test ride before buying, the closest I got was to sit on a 750ss in the showroom in 1991.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. I forgot about the split rims, they make the early ones a bit special

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. The MK1 and V's seem to fetch the money, think they made less 5's than 1s so they're probably the rarest !

11. So, the plaques that look different with the same number? Did Ducati have 3 different suppliers or are two fake :Shifty:

• Like Like x 1
  12. They were made at a time when Ducati quality control wasn't the best sometimes. Like I said two of the bikes have been verified by Ducati as genuine Superlights. I suppose we will never know the exact truth....

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. and some Mk1 came even whitout the marvic split magnesium wheels.
    in germany the TUV did not approved the marvic wheels so over there they where sold with normal SS wheels.

henk!!!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. I like that, it doesnt look all standard though.

How big can I get Agip stickers!?

15. well "off the shelf" it would appear approx 11 x 8 inches. (bespoke I imagine any size you like)
    have been using this supplier for a while, huge selection and good service. Agip Stickers for Classic Cars & Bikes

16. so this really got me thinking, 522 MK1's!?
    finally got some time to sit down and re-read Ian Falloon - Ducati Belt-Drive Two-Valve Twins (Authentic Restoration Guide) at the Appendix page 207 are production figures for the SL. (so this is on him if it's wrong;-)
    Ducati gave unique production codes to reflect year and country of destination. (i.e. variation in build)
    Figures for the MK1 1992
    code:00190171AA = 522 Europe
    code:00190172AB = 200 USA
    code:00190173AB = 100 California
    code:00190175AA = 30 Australia
    (EDIT)
    code:00190177AA = 100 Germany
    Total production for 1992 900 MK1 Superlight = 952 (but appendix reads 1,317*)

*The appendix also gives an additional credit in 1992 of 325 + 40 sl's but these were to 1993 spec. code:00190171BA & 00190177BA (why these are included is beyond me)

(as an aside and purely for selfish reasons, of the 1992 half faired 900ss code:00190041DA only 172 were made for Europe)
    The book
    61cK-poivQL._SX388_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

#37 WAH900ss, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  17. 100 for Germany?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. my bad! correct, this is what happens when one rushes and assumes Germany is part of Europe.

19. They didn't have the marvic split rims and had quieter exhausts.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information