1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

900ss Rebuild/refresh

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Roadtrip, Jul 3, 2022.

1. Finally Started the strip down this week, had a another visit to the shed this afternoon and so far no hassle with any nuts/bolts :upyeah: as I've been spraying them with gt85 for last few weeks,

IMG_2308.jpeg

IMG_2310.jpeg

IMG_2309.jpeg

• Like Like x 7
  2. Had a read up on the best way to remove the two super Tight ignition bolts, bent all the bolts i used.

IMG_2355.jpeg

IMG_2357.jpeg
    The strip down is getting there,

IMG_2356.jpeg

• Like Like x 8
  3. After a bit of advice,
    Just taking the clips off for powder coating and took the top yoke off then went to put back on and can see its not lined up the steering stem correctly,
    I would try loosening the lower yoke pinch bolts and drop the forks a bit then fit top yoke and slide the forks back up to check all ok, the engine is still in the frame waiting to come out, have others found the same issue with the top yoke/stem or should it fit correctly without adjusting the
    forks/pinch bolts.

IMG_2387.jpeg

IMG_2388.jpeg

IMG_2386.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  4. I can't see that being an issue, in the workshop manual you assemble everything then tighten up. If it assembles correctly loosely then I suspect all is ok.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Thanks Royal
    I haven't anything set up to support/lift the frame to drop the engine yet otherwise i would loosen the front end up to check but wanted to ask the question first.

• Like Like x 2
  6. have to agree with Royal, in my experience the weight of the forks is the main culprit.
    Keep up the good work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Been busy spending 4 hours cleaning both looms and dropped the clip ons and front fairing bracket into the powder coaters,
    Im very happy with the way they came out.

IMG_2401.jpeg

IMG_2403.jpeg

IMG_2405.jpeg

IMG_2400.jpeg

#67 Roadtrip, Jan 12, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2024
    • Like Like x 4
  8. Only bit i found that needs attention is one headlight wire.
    I take it there should be a three wire block connector which plugs into the headlight bulb and not three separate wires.

White wire has corrosion/burnt and is hard for about an inch and you can see the burnt tang on the bulb, i assume best option is to cut this out and wire in a new section.

IMG_2392.jpeg

IMG_2404.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. had as similar issue with the head light wiring resistance build up in old wires was one cause for the overheating
    adding an extra earth from the head light wiring helps a lot
    would also check the wiring connections through out the loom
    went a bit further with mine wiring in a real for the headlight to bypass the old wiring for the main load
    made a lot of difference went from dull candle light to super bright which is a bonus on a ss ie slated for really bad headlight but main issue is the wiring is only just capable when new then 20 years of resistance build in the wires
    flows enough voltage to power the side light

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. I did have a look on the internet to see if anyone made copies of the looms with better wiring as i already had the looms of the bike but couldn't find anyone who did.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. if I remember correctly with a fully charged battery and engine running battery showing around 13-14 volts I had just over 11 volts at the head light on the ie model all voltage and earth goes through a multi pin connector and no auxiliary earths on the front loom for the headlight and instrument cluster etc
    where if I remember right the carry has extra earths on the front section of loom
    when at the point of being able to check I would check what voltage you have at the headlight it might just have been a bad earth or corroded conector or even the possibility of a wrong bulb putting a higher wattage inlace to make life a little brighter and the wires not coping with the extra load

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  12. yes, I've not used him, was just aware is all.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Nearly all stripped,
    Im surprised how light the swinger is, after reading Nasher's thread thought it would be a good time to fit a pair of bobbins.

IMG_2484.jpeg

IMG_2485.jpeg

IMG_2486.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  14. Depeche Mode. yeah that's right! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Finally after waiting for a 14mm hex socket from eBay for the front wheel spindle so i could loosen it all up to check the top yoke lined up ok which it did,
    Steering bearing's seem in reusable condition :grinning: also looks like a bit of water has got in there.
    So today was frame/front end off,

The engine will be put to one side for a while then the next job will be bobbins welded to the swinging arm and then strengthen the frame headstock before powder coating.

IMG_2543.jpeg

IMG_2545.jpeg

IMG_2544.jpeg

IMG_2546.jpeg

#78 Roadtrip, Mar 4, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Roadtrip
    I can see the original earth cable on the engine, are you going for the Exact Start cable upgrade.

Cheers Gaz

17. It is also reasonably easy to purchase 25mm2 cable and make your own if you want to keep the expense down. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information