1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 996 Advice Please

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Cream_Revenge, Oct 27, 2014.

1. WOW! That's some good haggling. Did you just keep asking how low they could go and then keep asking for just a little lower or just straight out with a 6k offer?

2. spot on ,mate . snow on the ground helps all the way. i've done such a deal on NEW panni s in the similar weather condition that i dont even wanna say!

3. No. It was at a Yamaha dealers and had a couple of issues, worst being air in the clutch so it jumped around like a startled gazzelle when pulling away. I simply said i'd give my R1 and £3K to take it away. They priced my bike at £3600 and said it's a bit low but would look at my bike anyway. I took my bike down in a van, and while they were test riding it I gave the bloke the cash and asked were to sign. The Duke was on the way home before my R1 was back and they removed the frame protectors covering a dent, spotted the front wheel in backwards from turning it round on a track day or noticed it'd been a track bike since new and the bodywork had been in the loft all it's life.
    I'm sure in summer, or even if they were a Ducati dealers, they'd have waited for a better offer.

4. I bet they love you.

5. Well, I ended up with an engine that, if I'm being honest, wasn't built too well and was pretty knackered. Unless they'd completely stripped it, seen the faults then rebuilt it I'm sure they didn't know the state of the engine but I see us as evens.
    Like all dukes that age, you gotta hope you had a time served craftsman putting it together rather than his 18 year old son who's only working their for some money to spend on his fabulous girlfriend.

6. This 996 lark certainly sounds like an emotional roller coaster. It won't be dull, I'm sure of that.

Are 916's worth more than 996's? They seem to be more expensive.

7. When it comes to haggling. If your offer doesn't embarrass you, then it's not low enough.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Guy in the bike shop thinks that the speedometer are in km not Miles on the 996. Us that right?

9. Prob a grey import from back in the day.

10. No, he said the ALL measures the miles in KM. Even though the speedometer tells the speed in mph.

11. There are MPH speedos, there are KMH speedos and there are (later) versions with both MPH and KMH - but these should have an MPH odometer as they were made for UK/US markets.

Quite a few were imported with KMH speedo (mine was) but the only way it would show MPH yet the odometer be in km would be if someone had done a dial 'transplant' whilst leaving the metric guts.

Replacement speedos are regularly on ebay at reasonable prices.

12. 1037sps its nice to see some sps bikes going for sensible money.They seem to be going up in value now though.Glad I got mine yrs ago and got a bargain also.Best bit was my bargain sps also came with ohlins forks,brembo p4 calipers,brembo 998s disks,rearsets,bucci sprocket kit,carbon airtubes v piece etc etc.I was well happy.

I test rode a 916 when first considering dukes but ended up going for the 996BP.Which ever you opt for first thing id do is buy a renthal sprocket kit (+2 on rear or -1 on front) and change rec connectors from oe block ones to bullet type.

13. Rec connectors?

14. Rectifier connectors.Standard shite oe ducati block ones corrode ,I went for bullet type and no problem since.Some also beef up the standard oe wiring to rec .

15. Test rode a BP today. Not ridden a Ducati before so popped my cheery! Engine seemed fine but I don't have anything to compare it to. A bit rougher than my 600SRAD but I expected that. The right foot peg was ground down from serious lean angles so I expect it's been on a track or somebody did 50 laps of a roundabout. Not sure if I should worry about it.

16. I met a guy at the Box who just gave 10 large for a 2003 998FE (Final Edition), mint original condition with under 10K on the clock. Not sure I'd have done the same, but then I've a 2002 998S in the same condition.

17. If the footpeg on a 996 has worn down either Marquez was previous owner or its been down the road/track imho.Any damage to bar end of lever ends.

998S would be a better bet and will hold value as not that many about.But this tends to lead to much higher prices than a 996BP.

They ride a lot better with above gearing change royalwithcream but will deffo feel different to your 600SRAD.Especially the difference in torque.

18. Very light scratches as if pushed past a wall. Nothing else looks scratched.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information