1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 996 Advice Please

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Cream_Revenge, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Don't sound much to worry about.The first time you get caught out in the rain you will change the footpegs also for rearsets with better grip.

How did you find a litre v twin compared to the gixer 600.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Punchy. Lots of grunt low down. Feels deceptively slow, your going quicker than you think. Constant power. I have the 600 so nothing happens till 9000rpm and then it goes mental. Totally different engines. Ducati is a very narrow bike in comparison to sit on. Both hurt my hands/wrists.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Don't rush into buying the first one you see. Service history is the most important thing to consider when buying an older Ducati. If it hasn't got much/any walk away and find one that has.

4. The way you describe your first ride on a Ducati is identical to how I felt about mine. I came from a 600 gixer k7 and was quite nervous to begin with. I,like you was asking loads of questions after reading all about the unreliablitly of these bikes. I ignored all of it. My advise is go for it. If you liked the test ride it will only get better once you own one. I ended up buying a 749 in the end but test rode a 996. Just couldn't get the right money together for the 996. I have commuted on it every day this year come rain or shine and its never missed a beat. For sure they no silky smooth inline 4 but so what? These bike do need to be be looked after though but if your confident with the spanners its nothing you cant do yourself. There really not that complicated. It take seconds to whip the fairings for example. Don't let all the mess of wires put you off. That's just the way the Italians did things back in the 90's. Don't be afraid to dive in yourself and have a go. You find there will be hundreds of people on here only to happy to give advise. Go for it. You only live once!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I bought my 998s from a Honda dealer last Dec - it stood in the showroom for three months and I watched the price drop and drop until I couldn't resist and had to go and have a look... After a good look round it, a trawl through the paperwork and a test ride I had to have it. I had always wanted one but freaked myself out reading about all the potential problems and issues, but so far it's given me no problems at all.

6. Deposit down.

ThickBox_01018.jpg ThickBox_00542.jpg .

• Like Like x 3
  7. Looks like this is what somebody got carried away with. I predict a long day with a hair drier, wd40 and a tub of polish

8. [​IMG]

It will look a lot better without :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Last question (probably not).
    When I remove the stickers am I likely to find the paint brighter/less faded underneath? Will I be able to polish it out?

10. And yes, it looks better without. IMO.

11. Im a sucker for a nice race rep or custom paint scheme when they are done right with someone like rage paint etc.The 999 series especially.Id keep the front number board as should save the paint getting chipped.

I guess the answer to your question about paint miss match under decals is gonna depend on how much its been in the sun.Id have thought a good polish will help make them look pretty good again.Not 100% as ive only added decals not removed them.

12. the number board is not great, you can't see in the pics but its peeling at the top. If the paint underneath is not good then I will put on a replacement as I think they look OK. Just far to much going on with the sides panels and tail unit.

13. Motograffix probably do the best quality replacements for number boards.Look nicer painted but then the dreaded stone chips take there toll.

14. I have a Haynes manual if you want it? Pm me, I no longer have the 996...

15. Hi All

Well, I bought the 996 BP 2002 with all the stickers on Saturday.

Saturday was great, sounds awesome, no more uncomfortable and better mirrors than my GSXR and generally more relaxing to ride. Sounds awesome. Had a massive grin on my face all day. Sounds awesome. Finally realised a 20 year dream. Sounds Awesome.

Today I threw a Cush Drive and covered the back wheel in swarf so now she is off the road and hopefully not done to much damage. Sounds Awesome.

16. Sorry to hear of your short lived happiness, I've had three of the 996/748 models and never had that happen.. Much damage?

17. To be honest I don't know. The guys on this tread think it does not look to bad.
    996 - Swarf/metal Flakes On Back Wheel | Page 2 | Ducati Forum
    I was expecting life to be eventful owning a Ducati but more than 1 day would have been nice.
    Guess it is down to the bike shop now as to how painful this becomes.
    Still, I would rather have a broken 996 than no 996! She still looks and sounds great. And at least it is mid November so I have a few months to sort this.

18. I just saw the other thread. And I think, like the others, that its salvageable. I guess you have entered the learning phase of owning a Ducati by jumping in with both feet.
    Don't get disheartened, as there are a few little issues to look out for, but time and hands on will help you here.
    I'm sure there is a list of weak points that are checkable available on this or other forums to give it a good once over in slow time.

19. the word "salvageable" is quite upsetting 24hours in.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information