1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 996 Dead....

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Zhed46, Nov 10, 2021.

1. No opinions? On this site?

I can do a pretty decent restoration, using all OEM parts, for £1586. This does not include new keys and locks. We’re not talking concours condition but it’ll look pretty decent. I’d love to do it but in purely financial terms, is it worth doing?

2. was hoping more knowledgeable people on your Monster would give an overall opinion.
    If you put money aside, you know you can complete it, and you will probably enjoy it for years despite the fact that you won't/possibly won't "get your money back" come sale-time. How about you end up loving it so much you don't sell it?

The whole immobiliser/ignition circuitry was a stumbling block for me with my first Ugly 1000DS but i bit the bullet and forgot the money spent (approx £600 (s/hand clocks/ECU etc) without including the tens of hours spent diagnosing), and looking back i'm glad i did - still love the bike and had 3 of them.

3. Thanks Chris, but this one can’t be a keeper. It is being sold to raise money for something that is even more important to me than bikes. :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. unfortunately Wally, you've made your decision clearcut now, because unless some kind soul donates all the hardware/software at a reasonable price to get it running again, then unless you can convert it to do without any of this then it just isn't going to be worth it is it?

5. Having thought it through a bit more I think selling it as a running project bike is probably the way forward.

I have no idea how much to ask but someone suggested £2000. Sound reasonable?

6. sounds reasonable to me, but i'm a bit out of touch - a good running 996 engine used to be worth almost that much on it's own. I should start "bigging it up" and put it in the "For Sale" section (money going to a good cause).
    What's the mileage?

7. 17,600 at last MOT.

• Like Like x 1
  8. a mere child :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I wish you good luck but nothing much is selling at the moment. I see the same bikes for sale week after week. Even some new bikes can be had at a huge discount. BMW R18 for example.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Prices seem to be all over the place, from £3.5k for one that needs some recommissioning work to £7.5k ish for a minter.

Why not advertise it for £2.5k along with a bit of a write up explaining why you're selling it and see how you get on? If nobody bites, then drop the price by £100 every couple of weeks until it sells. :thinkingface:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information