1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

998 help

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Tommy B, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Anyone tell me where the engine numbers located??

2. Well the Auction is at £3400 right now, so more than that but you can pick up a very scruffy 748 right now for £2200...

So I don't have a clue. In my opinion, its worth more than it has been bid up to however, as has been said many times, the value something has to a buyer and what it is worth are not always the same thing.

3. Very true, just nice to have someone else's perception.

4. I would have said this started life as an 998S, it makes more sense than to convert a stock 998. A check on the original frame and engine numbers should give you a clue. A cheap 998S would be areal bargain.

5. On a 749 its on the other side of the engine to the one you took a photo of. At the bottom.

6. Nellys confirmed it started off as a 998 bip..seems the last owner must have done the mods (money no object by the looks of things)

7. did you get it re registered and a v5…………………i see it has a number plate on it….

8. I'm in the process it's mot'd insured and have all the appropriate paperwork filled in, all I now need to do is take the paperwork to a dvla office to get a tax disk and v5. It will remain on its original number as wasn't out the country for long and never registered out there. Fairly simple and cost free process.

9. Ohlins forks only on a 998 only came on R models with the exception go the special editions, Bayliss, Bostrom, FE.

10. Engine number is on the LHS stamped into a milled strip under the alternator cover.

11. Go these scribings on the left of the cylinder mean anything?...or do they come out of the factory like it?

image.jpg

12. Casting number?

13. Could be, same number and place on both cylinders.

14. 100mm bore.= 998cc……or 998 bp or S

104mm bore.= 999cc….or 998R

15. even as a bitsa and repainted, if you paid around that amount i think you did well

it looks like a 996r, 998s or 999 deep sump lump to me, engine number will tell

its got the 998s 4 pad calipers (same as 749/999 but gold )
    rotors are not a carrier i have seen on other 998, could be full floating cast iron? do they rattle when the wheel is spun?

ohlins forks are OEM not road and track so prob from 996r or 998r

possibly 54mm termis?

fwiw all the 998 ECUS i have seen are badged 996r (for 45, 50 and 54mm systems) but the maps loaded on them do appear different

16. I paid around what it ended at, so did very well IMO. Most probs a 998s although look like sand cast cases (what are the tell tail signs?) if so would make it a 996r/999r lump.

The 4 pads are def off an S/R, disks are def the fully floaters...rattle like hell.

They are 54mm, full ti system from what I can tell (extremely load-how I like it)

Looking forward to getting it on a rolling road to figure out the possibilitys of what May have been done tuning wise!

17. Is there any easy way of telling apart from engine number of taking the heads off and measuring?

18. Me being stupid, so the 100 means 998 yes?

19. AndyB...I notice you have an 848/hypermotard rear wheel...what are the height differences compared to the marchesini's or is it purely aesthetic?

20. 2002/03 998s had sandcast cases too. Don't think any 999s did

If your lump has no numbers it could be the cases were replaced or they could also be from a race bike. You could look for and hand engraving saying eg FE02 or similar which is tell tale for race stuff.

Those castings indicate 100mm barrels (so 998cc afaik) but doesn't mean they weren't rebored.
    In which case dyno or strip and measure would be the only way to get an idea.
    If it came from someone who worked at a dealership and had access to race or refurb parts then it could be anything tbh.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information