998 project

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by 748 fidler, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Mmm my pics seem to be in the wrong order I really am crap at this :wink:

image.jpg

#41 748 fidler, Feb 9, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  2. Slow progress update& cheap clutch tool tip.
    DONT USE A £8 PLASTIC CLUTCH HOLDING TOOL TO LOCK THE ENGINE WHILE TORQUING UP THE ALERNATOR NUT, THEY DONT LIKE 270NM ,what a clown.

thanks ducati Chris for the loan of a proper clutch tool.

you don't get much for £220 at ducati dealers these days,nice bag though.

managed to paint a few assorted parts,got rear shocker ect back in.
    I really need to get a move on now we can smell a bit off warmer weather round the corner.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

#42 748 fidler, Feb 17, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  3. 270nm that's serious torque, the 748 is only 186nm.
    Steve

4. yea it does seem a bit extream ,maybe a lock washer/nut and lower torque would be the norm on a japanese bike but no the italians think f*ck it lets just stick an extra 100nm on it that,l stop em coming off !

5. If you need a hand to drop the arm, I am in all day Sunday. Just drop me a PM
    Matt

6. Cheers but I've painted it in place ,not ideal but time is getting short now.
    It looks loads better in fresh satin black.
    ive got some genuine used fairings on there way to me ,I just need to get my painter to get a move on with the nose cone

7. Who are you using as I need my red nose cone repainting just now.....

8. I am using a local lad I work with , he's really good ( just done a brill kenny Roberts job on my mates 350lc ) but he's on holiday this week & he does need chasing ups bit. Il pm u his number once he's back & finished mine

9. Finally after 3 weeks of not doing anything to the old 998 I've managed to get a couple hrs in the garage.
    Hopefully the slowest rebuild in history will be finished before the nice weather arrives!
    Oberon clutch cylinder to fit,all brakes to refit and once the belts r done and TPS set its time to fire her up

I just need a lower right hand fairing and my nose cone finishing

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. image.jpg I've finally got my 1098/Suzuki clutch together with repainted pressure plate.
    image.jpg Oberon clutch cylinder fitted+ new chain.
    image.jpg Repainted rad refitted ,
    image.jpg New fuel filter now in & no leaks.

oil&filter changed,rear brake cylinder & caliper back on & bled up.
    the battery is on charge ready for firing her up next weekend,time to get giddy!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  11. Nice work - reckon you need a crankcase saver in there, too :upyeah:

btw, what size sprockets and chain length are you running with?

pete

#51 efcbluepete, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  12. Cheers, but I can't ride fast enough to need a crankcase saver ! I am going to try the std chain & sprocket set up 15/37 94 links.
    I might end up swopping to a 14 front once I've done a few miles.

13. Its not going to matter how fast your're riding. Unless you are staitionary and the chain lets go it will more than likely smash its way through the crankcase. As these cases are becoming incresingly rare items I'd be looking to take all the precautions I can.

14. I think perhaps you are talking 2 different things, Case saver - to protect engine side case if a fall at speed happens, and, Case saver - to protect if the chain breaks. Then again I could be wrong :wink:

15. Yea as I have a brand new good quality chain that I intend to maintain properly I don't really see why I would need a case saver ? Plus I have had a chain break on my old 748 ( not long after I bought it ) and it did no damage to the casing at all , just my pride & carbon chain gaurd !
    To be fair I think I was lucky as I've heard they can make a mess.

16. For a few Quid it is cheap insurance, how many thousands of pounds will new cases cost to buy and shim and fit etc.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Any chance you have worked for a UK bank selling PPI in the past ??:smile:

18. I should have some more tinkering time coming up this weekend so TPS to set, belts on,tidy electrics then wake the neighbours up :upyeah:

19. +1 for case saver, made my own out of a piece of stainless steel for feck all.

20. Tidy, I will listen out for you lol

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information