1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 A Multistrada Alternative.

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Mobile Chicane, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Maybe have a word with El T to see if you can be upgraded to Member With Opinions ? Gotta be worth a go . In the meantime keep it bland or you`ll get booted off.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I have never had the rubber on and it doesn't bother me at all while touring, but they are even without the rubber EXTREMELY slippery when wet. I wish they had more bite. (I am talking about an 2011 S Touring)

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. Having had a GS , and a Ktm 1190 I just couldn't get on with the big front wheel
    Loved both my multis 2011s and dvts and now gone to a mt10sp to slow me down believe it or not.
    Want to get off after a 100 miles anyway so whilst th mileage is a bummer it isn't th end of the world.
    Do a lot of European stuff on it and my mates will be a little cheesed off but it's all good.
    Engine is lovely but I don't think it has th grunt of the Ducati. , early days yet though
    I also think the MTS is probably the best all round road bike though , and do kind of agree with rainmans take on it

• Like Like x 1

4. Why not, the 1200cc Tiger Explorer is a perfectly valid comparison, as are the KTM 1290 Adventure and Super Duke-GT, and the BMW XR1000....and maybe to a lesser extent the R1200RS, its really a matter or sport to touring to offroad capability and what you are actually after.

If you mean strictly a cc to power comparison, but even then you have the KTM LC8s that have an extra 100cc and in return yields a LOT more power.

No offense to Bigyin above, but in all honesty I used to have a more gnarly driveway to my house, it was about 2 miles from concrete to my house of sand/shale switchbacks up the side of a mountain. I used to ride that year around with my trusty Speed Triple, with 17 wheels and sport touring rubber (at the time likely PR2s) and I got pretty damn fast at it, because I knew every millimeter of the road.....my girl at the time used to laugh at all of the skid marks from me locking the rear for 60 feet at a time and digging trenches spinning the rear nearly all of the way up.

So Ducati has three variants of the Multistrada, KTM has 4-5 variants of the 1290 (Adventure-R, ADV-S, ADV-SA, SD-R SD-GT) depending on how you want to split that out. BMW same thing with the R1200 you have you R, 9T, RS, RT, GS, GSA and three more with the 1000cc I-4

You can split hair all you like but it boils down to what you are doing with the bike. I can ride fire roads with a Harley fullbagger (I have actually) the very first weekend I owned the Multi, it saw snow/ice AND we rode across a landslide to explore the road behind it that had been closed for who knows how long, think sort of paved single track. Touring? Riding alone my 1290 Super Duke is easier to deal with on back to back "big" days riding 12-14 hours, shorter wheelbase, lighter control action, and that is ALL controls, clutch, brakes, and throttles.

Where the Multi shines is two-up and loaded, my Super Duke R just doesn't have the capacity, particularly not with hard lockable luggage, but it doesn't make the compromises the Multi does either trying to be four bikes in one. The saving grace for (at least my) 2012 Pikes Peak is that the suspension is simply superb once I got it set up the bike just takes everything I throw at at it. Likewise the motor is a jewel, sure its not the balls out crazy of my LC8, but its more than enough that 2nd gear power wheelies happen....a lot.

Sadly the Multistrada isn't going to be in the stable that long, because its a Japanese spec, and Ducati isn't willing to play ball with a letter of compliance, so it has to be sold before I return to the States (which is going to happen at some point).

So it will be back to bike shopping some time between 2018 and 2020, which is a shame because the 2012 Pikes Peak is about the "best" combination of color, suspension and electronics in my humble opinion.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. I'm a bit bashful to say I love my 2009 GS... it's lovely.

6. I have owned my current pikes peak and a BM R1200GSse at the same time. It all depends on what you like. Although I've since sold my gs I still think the gs is the better mile muncher and much more capable than people think (although I did change front and rear shocks to wilbers). I prefer my multi for looks and a blast.

• Like Like x 1
  7. The ONLY alternative to a Multistrada is ANOTHER Multistrada!!!:grinning:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. That is certainly debatable. Particularly since the competition has been upping their game.

Currently the two bikes I would class a Multistrada (not talking Enduro or 950) are the Super Duke -GT the XR-1000.....that is for a primarily street rider, the Calculus changes when off road becomes more of a needed thing (and for anything actually gnarly ALL of the ADV bikes are way to big)

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. No you are correct......The ONLY alternative to a Multistrada is ANOTHER RED Multistrada!!!:grinning:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • WTF WTF x 1
  10. Why I sold my 2015 multi dvt 1200s, and why I still hang around this forum:
    This forum is one of the best of the ones I watch. There is a lot of passion, and it shows in all posts. A huge amount of info is available (in a gentlemans way), so a feeling of friendly atmosphere exists constantly.
    As to why I sold my multi and moved to bmw's s1000xr there it goes:
    1. Most of the company's budget goes to aesthetic design and mechanical differentiation. That makes a beautiful bike that is very unforgiving for your wallet! Part of that cost should be diverted to testing and dependability. For such an expensive machine more hours of real life testing should be a goal.
    2. Why lie about power output. Why sell a bike that is 152 hp instead of the 160 advertised? I wouldn't mind buing a 152 hp multi, but why treat me like an ignorant kid?
    3. For the price Ducati's sell, more premium parts should be used. Better gauges, better fasteners, better exhaust flaps, etc.
    4. Sending email to ducati to address the 5000 rpm dip I got nothing....
    5. Why spend an extra €3000 to fix the midrange power dip, since it is the company's responsibility?
    6. It is easier with the competing s1000xr to ride fast doing the same times as the multi, using half your stamina.
    7. The new multi is front heavy, not in weight but in weight distribution away from the bike's center. Maybe the fuel tank extruding in the fairing along with the oil heat exchanger are responsible.

I have had both bikes for a month or so together. I loved the multi's sound and 6th gear touring pace. Everything else is s1000xr all the way. (Forgive my frank statement)
    Ducati should listen! After all we vote for the brand with our good money.

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. I've had five.... so good I've still got the last two Pikes Peaks.... and all in the fastest colour _ RED.

12. Is there one? Don't think so

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. You should have spoken to your dealer first, as in all cases. They'd have had you in for an ECU reflash as the issue you mention was fixed (for me at least) in March/April 2016, possibly sooner.

I haven't spent a single penny, and I don't have a 5K power dip, and in fact the motor has just got stronger and better as more miles have gone onto it, and also probably due to yet another ECU reflash it had in Jan 2017 at it's first annual service.

That's a very subjective measurement unless you're a sports scientist, and I doubt you actually used precisely half the overall effort, so lets keep things in perspective.

Funny enough, most bikes weight is "front biased" and is inherent due to practical design implications. When a manufacturer gets close to achieving 50/50 weight distribution they tend to make a big thing about it in the marketing blurb. What you describe is not uncommon and I doubt the S1000XR is much different. Taller bikes tend to amplify this too, and rider weight, positioning and riding style all effect this too.

Oil coolers tend to be at the front except where aero design allows relocation, because that's where the cool air is. I don't see this as a major design issue.

Sounds like your issues would have been solved by your dealer. I feel you're actually hunting for reasons to justify your "buyer's remorse", which could have been fixed by your dealer had you given them a chance. I can only assume you haven't as you don't mention it anywhere.

The S1000XR was already out when I bought my DVT new in Jan 2016. I demo'd the BMW and just couldn't an conceive living with the vibration, although I understand that they've pretty much sorted it now. I'm due to change my DVT in early 2018 and really hoping Ducati will have their new model ready but it's not likely and so I've been considering a change to the S1000XR but ....

The one thing that is ultimately going to keep me out of a BMW dealership and from signing up to anything is the absolutely disgraceful way they dealt with customers that spent huge money on a brand new R1000RT only for them to be globally recalled due to a major suspension safety issue and owners instructed not to ride them, literally leaving thousands of brand new R1000RT owners without a bike. They provided very little information to dealers about how the issue would be resolved, no ETA for a fix, no offer of compensation, and no loan bikes available. It was a total omnishambles and even made national news, and for me it's tarnished the brand considerably.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Pretty sure they were a 1200 RT :confused:

15. I Still have my 2015 DVT 15k miles, but it is waiting to be stripped down and engine rebuilt, as it drinks bucket loads of oil on the motorway.
    It took ages for Ducati to agree to do something, but that was partly me, and mostly dealer.
    After it is done it will be probably sold, I am just curious to see if the problem is fixed. (in case I do get another later on)
    I have had a 2017 GS TE for the last few months, done around 3k so far (not riding for a month as well), recently done a trip to Luxembourg on it.
    Comparing the 2 bikes, as little unfair, but the GS is more of a tourer, though higher geared, but far cheaper to buy and run.
    The only real thing the DVT has over the GS is instant punch, it is faster accelerating by a long way, and I guess handles a little sharper, but I am not expert rider so I doubt I benefit from that.
    But as for the GS it makes me smile, it is lower seat height, well built, fun to ride, far better support, and has all those little things that makes Touring and riding the DVT lacks, and Oddly riding a GS at a decent pace keeping up (even leaving a few behind) with other bikes is very satisfying, where as on a DVT it was expected.
    Would I buy another DVT, (next version of it) not sure atm, it is over priced, but the 18k service is now obscene to pay for, too many issues that are a pain to get fixed, poor dealership 3 in my area that I do not want to use again.
    Tough call now to find the perfect all round bike.

16. Yeah you're right, well spotted. Bloody shocking state of affairs that was. A mate of mine who has owned nothing but BMW RT's going back 15 years got thoroughly shafted and had to cancel a major European tour as a result and didn't even get so much as a sorry for being without a bike for over 2 months. Unforgivable and possibly the worst abuse of customer goodwill that I've ever witnessed.

17. Why didn't people ask for their money back then, did BMW refuse to pay out ?

18. I really enjoyed my S1000xr, didn't find it particularly vibey and just rode it fast everywhere in comfort. It's lunatic fast for the type of bike it is.

If you're moaning about vibes it's because you're not going fast enough ;)

To be honest I also loved my multistrada 2012S, but the Dvt just seemed to be missing something when compared to the previous incarnation or the XR.

Who cares, different strokes and different folks and all that.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. I found the perfect Multistrada replacement

20. Oh yeah, another Marc marquez on the forum who's better than the bike!! Feck me!! ;)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information