1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A New Watch ?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Wayne58, Jun 27, 2017.

• Like Like x 3
  1. Towards Alistair?? Sadly, the watch will far outway the cost of bsts :(

• WTF WTF x 1
  2. I just sold a ceramic seamaster, lovely very accurate watch but found the stainless marked too easy. Other than that, nice piece

#23 Wayne58, Jun 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2017
  3. I'm left handed and wear a watch on the right so no issues there with a pan

4. PS, the date on your SMP is wrong :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Thanks for the comments :) I've owned it for around 3 or 4 years now, I brought it when I was in Vancouver actually visiting family. The picture was taken from when I first brought it as didn't have a new one on my phone currently which I also why the date will be 'wrong' haha.
    I do like the panerais a lot indeed, they seem very simple, elegant and contemporary.
    My brother currently owns the bi metal Rolex submariner with a royal blue face but is now thinking of upgrading to a Daytona. Very jealous!!
    IMO it's always nice to have a nice watch. If you know what your looking at then they never really devalue (given you look after it) and in some cases can be a investment too.
    I think being a engineer I appreciate the workmanship that goes into them a lot more aswell. It's nice to own something that isn't digital.
    Let me know how you get on with finding a panerai if that is what you go for....
    Good luck with your search

• Like Like x 2
  6. my last watch cost me 400 quid i thought that was expencive!! o_O

• Like Like x 1
  7. Long term Panerai fan here... PAM00118 currently but previously ran a PAM00116. I like the titanium / tobacco combo. Only bettered by the PVD / tobacco IMO. Radiomir is pretty too. People say what they say about the movements, I have no accuracy moans (although my G-Shock is more accurate, surprise surprise), reliability is good on the whole and I keep to the service regime but I've had two main springs in the 118 since buying it.

My advice is to check Ian Blower in Hull (think Ian retired, but his son Mark is a good guy), they are second to none for Panerai, Rolex and Omega. I bought my Panerai to wear as a watch because I like it and because you buy decent tough kit to use, not leave in a drawer. My crystals are unmarked front and rear and I get the Ti re-brushed when it's serviced. I'm running a now very distressed Dirk strap with an original pre-Vendome buckle. Bloody love the thing. No good under most shirts unless you prefer a double-cuff with cufflink (in which case you're already beyond help. Just go to Thomas Pink now and pick something to be executed in) and no good as an on-bike watch unless you wear 1950's style gauntlets and have a "wizard's sleeve" style leather suit...

If you like good solid industrial design then Panerai is a decent choice. I'm getting old now and will likely keep my PAM00118 to pass to my son, and my old Heuer Monaco is for my daughter. My Apple watch (actually what I wear most of the time now) does the job but I fancy either an old (i.e. pre worn-by-sales-bellends) Breitling, Heuer or Rolex for high days and holidays.

They're back out of fashion now, I'd say. Good. :D

• Like Like x 1
  8. Said the man with the 1198... :p

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. You can buy them in LH or RH configurations. I'm LH and wear my watch on my left wrist, crown on the right. Never an issue. :upyeah:

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Im too sexy for my watch. (although Im clearly shit at photos)

IMG_2036.JPG

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Single. Buttons too, not cufflinks as they're pretentious.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Omega Seamsater, blue dial. Classic.
    Love mine, bought 2nd hand from good jewellers in Newcastle at a massive saving. As new too.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Good man! This isn't the Regency era, after all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. If we're talking new watches, the SeaDweller has just been relaunched in a larger 43mm size, so [1] is anything but old hat, [2] at £8350 costs a fair bit more than the others, and [3] has a waiting list of many years... It's also hiked the used values of the discontinued SD4000.

15. Correct they have an independent Swiss automatic mechanism partner:
    Bringing the Swiss on board
    More watches and complications followed, including our first mechanical chronograph, the C7 Grande Rapide. In 2008, we started working with Swiss watchmaking veteran Jörg Bader and his company, Synergies Horlogères, based in Biel/Bienne. Working together we introduced our biggest-selling range, the Mk I Tridents, and when he discovered a young East German watchmaker, Johannes Jahnke (right), everything stepped up a level.

Our own movement
    By 2014, Christopher Ward and Synergies Horlogères had become such close partners that we merged in July 2014. But more importantly, we released Calibre SH21, the first commercially viable movement from a British watch brand in 50 years. Designed entirely by Johannes Jahnke, and built at our atelier in Biel, it put Christopher Ward in that select group of watch brands able to make their own calibres.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information