1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Featured Acf50 Spraying

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by Martyn Edwards, Dec 31, 2023.

1. Finally found a spray bottle that will mist ACF50 as long as the loaded spray bottle is heated in hot water.
    When you need to use the spray bottle again you'll need to warm the spray end in the hot water as well.

https://amzn.eu/d/5Ar8xc5

IMG_0514.jpeg

#1 Martyn Edwards, Dec 31, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2024
    • Like Like x 9
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Nice, I just ordered a 2-pack! I almost considered buying an airbrush kit. There are so many places you need that fine myst and in just small specific areas at a time. Sure the aerosol can or a large sprayer is great, but sometimes you just need to be a little more surgical and less spray and pray lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. If you have the space to apply it outside and properly, invest in a 10ltr compressor and a paint gun. It'll do the job perfectly and you'll have perfect application bike round each time. I used those bottles for a few years and then gave up as it was ten times faster using the compressor.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  4. I use a hobby air brush kit. Works perfectly and doesn’t take too long.
    I did try the mist bottle but didn’t get on with it too well unfortunately.

• Useful Useful x 2
  5. Have used a plastic hand held misting spray and place it in warm water for years... always done the job.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I've used the same bottle myself and it was useless. Maybe the one I got was faulty, I'll be interested to know how long yours lasts.

7. I bought 5 bottles for about £5.00 off Amazon years ago... still have a couple :)

8. Has anyone got recommendations of the best way to actually apply the product correctly?

do you guys let dry or buff off?

9. Very lightly wipe off before it dries after leaving it on for a few minutes. If you don't, it tends to get a little gummy.

10. I've spent years applying the stuff, the first few years through various 'mist' spray bottles, there is a couple of good ones. But after a while, you'll get sick of it.

What you need is a compressor (10L home DIY jobbie will do) and a paint gun. You put the solution in the paint gun and spray the bike, let it rest for 30 mins and then wipe down. I've done this to all my bikes over the years and never see rust. Be sure to cover the wheels in rags as you really don't want this stuff on your tyres or brake assembly.

Get it in everywhere, obviously take the seats off and I mean everywhere, but do some test runs on the paint gun and some cardboard until you've got a manageable spray so that you don't cake the stuff on.

As for prep, the bike needs to have been fully degreased and cleaned before hand, I use a pet grooming blow dryer. When you start with this paint gun, just make sure you're in a well ventilated space or outside... It'll produce a no fun cloud.

As mentioned, once you've let it rest and reach where it needs to, just go round with 2 rags, one for body and cockpit, the other for metalwork. Just don't panic when you run the bike and smoke starts showing, it's just the excess burning off.

Do this method once or better yet, twice a year and you'll never have problems with rust no matter what you ride in. And yes there are alternatives that may be slightly better, I've tried them and for me, ACF 50 is king.

Oh, I don't bother putting this on my chain or wheels, not sure why, just don't see the reason and I coat my wheels in a wax and my chain in gear oil.

#11 freshage, Jan 15, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2024
    • Useful Useful x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Only ever had this problem if the liquid is too cold (I let it rest in hot water before putting it in the paint gun) or it's old and it's congealed, which is a problem so give it a good shake or check the bottle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Hi - just wondering if you can recommend a particular compressor and gun for ACF50 please?

13. It really depends on your budget, just make sure its a 10L or more, anything less just isn't enough oomph.

For example: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hyundai-El...03&sprefix=stanley+compressor+,aps,85&sr=8-13

Then attached with the gun from a kit like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Compressor...ae-bb5f-b799bb3fb629&pd_rd_i=B09KGCQTCZ&psc=1

Just pop into any hardware store (I think B&Q is still a thing there?) and ask for compressors.

14. Next month, I'll be doing this year's clean and application. If it interests anyone, I can record the whole process?

• Like Like x 7
  15. Yes!

16. Cool, I'm in Scotland for the first part of February, so it'll be later in Feb. It's in the calendar, it won't be pretty but I'll at least show the steps I take and how I apply.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Plenty of compressors at Screwfix

• Like Like x 2
  18. I use an electric paint sprayer, the type used to spray garden fences and wall paint etc. works really well and produces a nice fine mist.
    This year I went with XCP rust blocker on the GS (I know, GS owner on the quiet!) and I’ve found it easier to apply than acf50 - we’ll see how it lasts / how effective it is!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information