V4 Additional Service Items Worth Your Time To Check

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by West Cork Paul, Oct 3, 2022.

1. The spacer on the brake side has a fine lip on one side. I couldn't remember which way it came out as it will fit in either way. I fitted it with the lip side out. If anyone knows if thats correct, could they reply. Thanks

2. Correct - Lip side out that was the way mine was at least !

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Thanks for that

4. I used Moly grease (molybdenum disulphate or ever it’s full name is) on the axle shafts and bearing grease on the outside of the bearings between them and the dust seal. You can’t get to the inside of them as they’re sealed - but not watertight.

Lip side out :upyeah:. I don’t think mine would go in lip side first iirc.

5. In west Cork Paul's first photo with the screwdriver, there is a small hole to the right hand side with a bit of black grease. When I examined and cleaned mine, I put a little grease in the hole. Does that help lubricate the bearing in any way?

6. Not sure that you can get much grease into that small indentation, when i cleaned mine out I smeared some Silkolene Pro RG2 grease around the bearing and spacers because that what I had to hand, didn't use much just a surface smear. The last thing you need is excess grease getting onto the rear disc or tyre. I am told that the bearings need waterproof grease (most greases say they are) so the RG2 should be fine until the bearings are replaced.

• Like Like x 1
  7. :upyeah::upyeah:
    :upyeah::upyeah::upyeah:

8. @Beef , anything to add to the list?

9. That hole is on the inner axle spacer and, I presume, is designed for where the bearing puller tucks into in order to extract the bearing, or where a long narrow drift csn be positioned from the other side (if you don’t have the official Ducati bearing puller) and the bearing can be tapped out. Putting grease in there won’t grease the bearing but it will aid in keeping the inner spacer/wheel interior lubricated a bit. Mind you as said above you can't get much in there:(.

10. Update – The bike (V4S currently at 11K+ miles) has been to the dealers and the rear wheel bearings are all good. The three bearings in the rear wheel are stiff to turn when cold, they did have grease in them and that has been topped up with a high-pressure grease gun. Both spacers and bearing seals have been replaced, the spacers on each side should not rotate as they are locked in by the spindle wheel nut, mine had marks on the inside surface, especially on the brake side, that seemed to show that it had been rotating.

Very relieved and very happy with the investigative service from PT.

The condition of the spacers, seals and bearings may well be a good thing to check when you have a rear tyre change to ensure that they are clean, and all is well.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I’m curious as to how they did that as the bearing is a sealed unit afaik. Ie there is the inner and outer race with ball bearings in between and then dust/grease retention shields on both sides which are held in place by the lip on the races.

This one in the sprocket is a good example of what I mean
    A7DB0273-5047-4CC3-B4E3-B44E8145366B.jpeg

12. No Idea how they got any extra grease into the bearing, all they said was they used a high-pressure grease tool to squeeze more grease in and then wiped off the excess, also don't know if they took the bearings out to do that or not.

13. Hmmmm :thinkingface:

I’m not doubting for one moment what you were told, I just fail to see how it can be achieved. Perhaps there are some on here that can explain @nelly or A N Other ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Is there any reason to not use ACF50 grease on these parts ? I bought a tub some years ago and routinely dip fixings in it before assembly.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Morning,
    I don’t have access to the book of faces; I guess a few on here the same.
    Could you post the details please.
    Many thanks,
    T

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. The post is from a Multi V4S owner in one of the Multi V4S owners groups where he informs others his dealer has told him he will have his rear wheel bearings replaced FOC by them, at Ducati’s expense, as Ducati now recognise there is an issue with the bearings as originally fitted. Further, Ducati now have a substituted part number for the bearings which indicates they have a different supplier for them now.

However….. this individual’s bike has been with the dealer for over 1 month as the dealer is still waiting for supply of the new bearings from Ducati.

It is worth checking the state of your own bearings either at next tyre change time, or one miserable wet afternoon, just removing the rear wheel and inspecting them.

It is also worth, IMO, mentioning it to your dealer the next time the bike is in for a service if not before.

17. interesting cheers. just booked my V4PP in for first annual service in March and they have nothing on the system about that. dash updates and usual software stuff apparently. will ask again nearer the time.

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. The rear wheel bearings on the Multistrada V4 Pikes Peak will be very different from the Multistrada V4/V4S as the V4PP has a single sided swingarm and the V4/V4S has a double sided swingarm.

19. doh, of course. need to put brain in gear cheers :upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information