1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Advice On Mulistrada

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Philm, Apr 17, 2024.

1. For what it's worth, I recently bought a 2010 1200 with 29,000 miles on it. I picked it up for £4,500 (included non-ducati luggage).

I'm replacing and tidying up a few parts (like sprockets and chain, etc), which will leave with with a bike I feel I can rely on, and for the money I couldn't be happier. Great lively powerful bike, that I don't have to treat like a princess - if I get a stone-chip or two on it I won't be too worried.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Hi Stephen, I have a 2012 , 1200s Multistrada. Had it 9yrs ! I've not had a bike for so long before. It really can do the lot and when you trim the settings to your preference then it does feel special. Good choice, enjoy buddy

3. That's not a high mileage at all for a 12-year-old bike. Ducatis should be used regularly and serviced well, at which point they last extremely well indeed. my '10 has the same mileage on it and nothing currently is sufficient of an improvement for me to feel the need to change. Just make sure that all recalls have been done (esp the fork leg if its an Ohlins) and check if its had any of the common issues - porous heads & collapsing radiator internals being the main ones. Brilliant bikes, and have a degree of responsiveness that the later ones slightly lack (IMHO). Lumpier than the DVTs and 1260s at town speeds though.

4. Mine had the radiator problem (replaced FoC out of warranty), but the heads have been just fine - still are.

5. Spacer not relevant on this bike - it has cables to the TPS, so you can adjust out the slack very nicely.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. I'm pretty sure that there weren't any 2011 Pikes Peak - I think the first one came out as a 2012 model, with the Ohlins and a paint job (essentially just the 1200S with a paint job), so make sure that this is registered as a Pikes Peak model, not just a standard bike with a paint job (which would be worth a tad less).

7. Just for the record.
    Mine is 1200s 2013.
    Done all the service inc desmo myself.
    Mileage is 75000 miles. At 62136 the odometer stopped showing the mileage and started displaying dashes.
    It was set back to zero by Ducati, letter issued to that effect. Reason is that the dashboard can only display 5 digits.
    Since then 13000 more miles added. Now due for the next Desmo service.
    And still works perfectly and it's pushed hard.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Out of curiosity, did Ducati charge you for that? Where they able to reset the mileage, or did they have to supply a new dash?

9. No charge. Nothing wrong with the dash - there is only space for 5 digits. 99999km or 62136 miles. The only solution was to reset it back to zero - they had to obtain a special code from Ducati Italy.

The funny thing is that the dealer was unaware of this design stupidity.

I guess the pre 2015 1200 's are not expected to last if 62k miles .
    New flash - they do last over 62k

10. The reason I ask is that I have had all sorts of problems with my odometer. When jump-starting the bike the odometer jumped to 99,999, and when I spoke to Ducati they were unable to do anything about it. Even if they'd been able to reset it to zero it would have been okay, as at least I could have tracked milage and just added 29,000 to it. Their only solution was to buy a new dash, which apparently would also need a new fuel sender (as the new dash wouldn't work with old fuel sender). Bill was going to be well over a grand.

11. Very impressive ! I did my Desmo service last year , valve clearances etc but couldn't reset the Desmo service light. I bought OBD star and love the piece of kit. Did you reset yours or just carry on and put with it showing on power up.

12. @dez - I am using the MelcoDiag program and I can reset both oil and desmo service message (although now I have a suspicion that I wont be getting any more service messages - did not get the oil service at 7.5K new mileage )

The application is free but you will need to buy a special cable for it. You can get all the information from here:- https://jpdiag.xooit.eu/t5617-experimental-resets.htm?start=150

and the MelcoDiag program from here :- https://jpdiag.akress.com/download.php
    Also you can download the Courroies program (same location) for adjusting the belts - quite nice and easy to use

Let me know if you need more...

• Like Like x 1
  13. Thanks, I did enquire with JP had no answer. I've seen a thread on here where people have also tried and failed to contact Melco Diag. I found a very useful six part series on YouTube, he titled it Multiproblem but only as an introduction. I'll look at that link, cheers

14. Never had a problem contacting JP. Actually was very helpful quite a few times.
    Suggest you register on his forum and post your questions.

After installing Melcodiag and connecting to the bike JP will send you a special file to enable the resets.

15. Yes I'll give a go :upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information