Advice Please, Should I Claim On My Insurance

Discussion in 'Insurance - Sponsored by Ducati Insurance' started by Dr.D, Oct 18, 2022.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  1. upload_2022-10-18_16-29-48.gif

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Cheers guys for all your help, so plan a) was as most say repair it, or get it back on the road commute on it and then use it as a track bike next year, but I thought, surely the lockstop isn't bent, so went to it and and checked and yes bent, and the bar is back. It was literally leaving a junction, cold tyres, cold road and too much juice and it went down, its amazing how much damage.

So, in light of this lock stop, tank etc. And its insured for £9k, and the others on the market are around £10k, I think I should get at least ( or hope ) £8k after excess, if it written off which is the generally consensus. Or fixed... and its cost me £450 excess. But if its written off, then I'll buy it back and go to plan a) again lol.

I checked out my insurance next year it will go up by about £400 but factored in, I think it cheaper to claim, the bent lock stop sent me over the other way, rather than fix it.

tempImagerOJD68.png

tempImage9kfztz.png

• Like Like x 1
  3. Just out of curiosity what tyres are on it?

4. Metzeler M7RR, which are meant to be good in all conditions! I literally pulled out, like I always do, accelerated and it span, gripped, went the other way, then back again and I thought I can't hold this and it went down, I must have been doing 30mph tops.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. “its insured for £9k, and the others on the market are around £10k, I think I should get at least ( or hope ) £8k after excess, if it written off which is the generally consensus. Or fixed... and its cost me £450 excess. But if its written off, then I'll buy it back and go to plan a) again lol.”

When you say it’s insured for 9k - is this an agreed value policy?

Normally you would be paid out retail market value - and you could evidence that by showing what’s currently available.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. No not agreed, I said it was worth £9k when I insured it, but looking at the market these days its near £10k. I'll shall keep my fingers crossed.

7. I had my Multistrada insured for what I paid for it, £6.5k. When it was written off they offered me nearly a grand more than that ;)

I did similar to you once pulling out of a petrol station, cold day, cold tyres. luckily it was on my ZXR400 and I managed to catch it.

If you do make a claim your insurance is going to go up no matter if you’ve protected NCB or not. You’ll now be classed as more risk as statistically once you’ve had an accident your more likely to have another (so maybe you shouldn’t repair it just yet ;))
    In my experience, when I’ve made a claim, either to repair or total loss, the insurance company have deducted 3yrs of bonus and the cost increase the following year was less than £100. A lot of that may be down to the type of bike I ride and my postcode?

• Like Like x 2
  8. my 748 spat me off , I got a seat unit and front fairing off flea bay, then had them painted, both o/s fairings from "Snells" who said thats why youve got insurance, so i reminded him it will stay on the insurance system for FIVE YEARS, the bike will be cat n, so down in value, so i did it all myself for about 2.5k and it all happened 50 feet from my front door, the back spun on a manhole cover, and down I went ! yes i was lucky 15/20 mph spill, with no damage to the leavers or mirrors and not a mark on the tank or exhaust

9. But, if it's written off, you take the £££ and walk away. You don't HAVE to buy it back from the insurance company.

10. "but I thought, surely the lockstop isn't bent, so went to it and and checked and yes bent,"

Sorry to read thread O.P. , ^ Cigar goes to @bootsam.

11. agreed but then you have a right off claim against your name so up goes your insurance, i know from experience when a guy smashed into my car the insurance company wrote it off, I wasn't even in the car, it was parked
    and every year for the next 5 years i had to explain what happened before i could get cover for the bike and the new car, what a chuffing pain

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Update: So insurance decided on Thursday, after all this time, its a write off, as expected.... but Class B! So had to go to a breaker. Now waiting for the pennies to be in my account and its bike shopping time ;-)

• WTF WTF x 1
  13. Cat B - just for a bent lockstop!

That’s such a shame for a rare bike to be lost that way!

Hope you get a fair payout - with you look for the same bike or do you have something different in mind?

14. I know, well not just that, but bent rearset lug, lock stop, tank, and fairings etc. I wasn't going quick, but wrestled it, so think it went down pretty hard. I am unsure as yet, I still have my 1299S, so maybe fancy something different, and an itch for a XDiavel Blackstar, the colours remind me of my 848 also, and I rode one last year and just think they are pretty cool crusing around, must be a age thing, as its always been sport bikes.... now I write this maybe a V2, but think blackstar, they are just stunning.

• Like Like x 1
  15. It’s the frame damage that will have pushed it into Cat B - regardless of the cost to replace the other damaged parts.

Anything ‘bolt on’ damaged then they usually Cat N it - financially not economical to repair but can still be sold and put back on the road.

Frame damage seems to be an automatic Cat B these days to a lot of assessors - so some perfectly repairable bikes are consigned to being stripped for parts and the frame crushed.

Just had a look at the XDiavel Blackstar - such a good looking bike - totally different from a sports bike but I like it.

Because of the massive rear tyre and power delivery it will destroy any sports bike 0-60! There’s very little that can get near them on that front.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information