Alcohol & Mental Health

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Justatad, Mar 8, 2020.

1. I find if you give up one drug you'll just replace with another buzz. Booze is one the hardest as it works longterm & is socially acceptable + relatively cheap.
    You really need to tackle the why's to beat them all

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. I applaud you for taking the step to cut out alcohol from your Saturday routine. It's a big move, and it takes courage to break a long-standing habit. I haven't personally cut out alcohol entirely, but I've definitely noticed that when I drink less, my mental health tends to improve. There's definitely a connection between alcohol and mental health, and it's great that you're exploring alternatives like zero % lager. I also checked out the link https://www.mentalhealth.com/disord...sorder/narcissism-and-alcohol-is-there-a-link about narcissism and alcohol, and it's fascinating how they can be intertwined. It seems like alcohol can sometimes exacerbate narcissistic tendencies or even be a coping mechanism for dealing with them.

#62 ZaniyahChang, Apr 9, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I agree with everthing that's been said, fair play to you for making this public, it will help.
    I think your alcohol dependance drops as you get older, the body struggles to cope with alcohol, it is a poison, I still drink but firstly not in the week and I don't get pissed anymore.
    I have plenty of friends that have cut it out completely, for various reasons, dependance, the inability to stop, anger issues and general heath, mental and physical.
    The other big problem with alcohol is the way it affects other things, cravings and food, weight gain is the obvious one, midnight kebabs, full english breakfasts, social smoking, drugs and poor decicion making.
    Then there's the hangovers, the body trying to rid itself of all the shit you threw at it.
    Having said all that I will go to the pub tonight, a nice walk there with the dogs but I won't get pissed, a few pints of a really weak IPA and no hangover.
    You know it makes sense.

• Like Like x 5
    • Love You Love You x 1
  4. Long time having really bad anxiety (30+ years) I’m going to try magnesium supplements as i keep hearing good things about it. Worth a try I guess.

• Like Like x 5
  5. You have PM

• Like Like x 1

6. Try cbd too. Works a treat.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Look into NLP, Neuro Linguistic Programming, it can really help with lots of conditions, drug free techniques to free you from some of the baggage we collect along the way, I have used this for various reasons, it will help you in lots of ways.

• Like Like x 4
  8. I read this thread sometime in the autumn of last year and it really made me think. For some reason I'd never really noticed until now (mid 40s) that I could quite often feel a bit glum and down even a few days after having a few drinks. Never to excess, but maybe a couple of glasses of wine or a few beers. Then other people in the thread mentioned it and it made me realise I did too. I cut down quite a lot over the last quarter of last year.

Then I caught up with some friends just before Christmas, had quite a good night out but then really felt I was paying for it the next couple of days. My wife and I were about to go to Poland for Xmas to stay with the in-laws, typically a boozy affair, and I just said "I don't want to drunk over xmas, I just can't face it". My wife completely understood and her family too. I had a great Chritmas, drinking 0% Polish beers. Slept great, didn't feel down at any point.

I've now not had a drink for six months. I don't feel like I've missed it. I find that the 0% beers are filling the psychological gap when I'm out having a drink, and aren't too bad at home. This weekend I've tried the 0% wine from M&S and again it filled the gap of wanting something to sip at for an hour while everyone else has a drunk.

I'm not sure how longh I'm going to keep it up for - it does seem sad to think that I'd never have a nice glass of red to go with a cheese or a good meal, or that I'd never get on it with some of my friends again. It's actually quite hard to think about when that "next time" should be. I will go back to it again, but with the right approach. For now, I really think I've improved my mental - and probably physical - health by abstaining and I'm very glad I did it.

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1

9. Can I ask why do you feel sad about never having a glass of red with cheese what is sad about it?
    Who said cheese has to be drunk with wine

Our use of words makes a difference
    Can you change the negative ones for a positive

• Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  10. Exactly. Everyone knows you drink port with cheese!

11. Sorry for the misunderstanding - it doesn't have to be, and indeed I enjoyed a fine piece of Colston Basset over the weekend with nothing stronger than a glass of squash alongside. However, a nice malbec or chianti is really optimal for me, when it comes to these cheeses :)

It's been suggested to me that a glass at lunchtime/early afternoon leaves the body time to process the alcohol before bed, or one could time a bit of drinking in the knowledge that a few days afterwards might be a bit glum and accepting it. I'm keeping all of that in mind, but I've just been feeling so damn good the last six months (admittedly in combination with a few other lifestyle changes).

• Love You Love You x 1
  12. Please no sorries needed

I was wondering why you felt sad about not having wine with cheese
    Is it the lack of enjoyment or is sad the wrong word
    Through counselling we looked at my use of words and what I could replace them with that was kinder

• Like Like x 3
  13. Booze is part of the english "culture" part 1002651 and 1002652....

I've lived where i have for five years in November, its a very quiet village/town and I always drink in a pub about 3 doors down and the most "newsworthy" episode in that entire time was when the landlord went and got himself a thai bride. It really is like "Early Doors".

Last night one of the regulars and a local, popular tyre fitter (mid 40's) glassed a young kid who has a bit of a "nawty" dad, all because he was slurring and the kid was taking the piss out of him and all hell broke loose, and all because the euros are on and he'd been down there all day cos it was "what we do" etc..throwing beer in the air yadder yadder.

Today my mum sent me a picture of my old house in amsterdam with a no drugs and drink zone sign outside. All down to the english and their obsession with stag/hen parties and getting the stag/hen so fucked they cant walk.

Our overlords love the fact we're mass piss heads (on the whole), keeps us easier to control and until we change our national mentality (which will never happen) things are only going to get worse. Especially with mental health.

Just thank the fucking lord we havent legalised guns, yet.

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. I loved Early Doors it was a great series.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. A) A nawty dad? Is that one which can actually dance & tell good jokes?

B) Is the tyre fitting maniac now in jail?

C) Do you have a picture of the Thailand wife and how is married life going?

Just asking for a friend

16. I thank the all father that I have zero interest in either football, booze or Thai brides...All of which sound like nothing but trouble.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. Me too and we even have the landlord completely unsuited to being a landlord. Ergo complete miserable twat who treats his regulars as a chore as opposed to the one thing keeping his business afloat.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Vote with your feet…..

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. its three doors down from my house man!! ;)

20. Id stock up at the offy and leave the bobbers to it bud.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information