1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Annoying Frame Plugs

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by ColT, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Any chance you can post some pics of this setup, please?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. I noticed the problem when I test-drove the DVT last year. Nevertheless since I purchased the fancy frame plugs on my own bike and I realise now that I never experience the issue again. So the resolution is to get those frame plugs although I must say aren't any cheap. You might be able to get a less pricy version from other manufacturers like CNC or Ducabike.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. The plugs are on the Conquest Carbon web site now, just bought a set.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hi, sorry it took so long to post these.

I bought an Ultimate Addons iPhone 5 holder that's pretty waterproof (sometimes water gets in when jet washing but never when riding in the wet). It comes with several methods of attachment but I used the one for attaching to the handlebars.
    STD_1371.jpg
    as you can see I have the Carbon race screen which it sits behind (the top corners of the holder are visible from the front just, I could have dropped it down a bit further to hide it more). You still have plenty of room to grab and adjust the screen hight.

STD_1372.jpg

STD_1376.jpg
    I bought some lightweight aluminium strips from B&Q (2mmx16mm) placed a small bend at each lower end then a slight clockwise in one and an anticlockwise twist in the other. I cut down the Ultimate Addons ball and socket mount a little but you don't actually have to. the two holes to fix it to the handlebars are well placed for the aluminium struts. The bolts that come with the screen are long enough to hold both the screen and the extra width of the struts.
    STD_1379.jpg

I will get round to soothing it off a bit more and sparing them black but wanted to test it out first. after a 300mile round trip last weekend I can say that it worked well, didn't more at all, didn't interfere with the air flow and didn't vibrate. it's at a perfect hight so I can easily read it without ploughing into parked cars.

If anyone wants more info please let me know.

Col.

• Like Like x 1
  5. well I fitted the new plugs from Conquest carbon and they sorted the problem out for me. My knee no longer catches on it and they look pretty dam good as well. That said, I understand if people would rather spend the money on fuel as they are not cheap.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I sucked it up and ordered a set - the more I ride the bike the more annoying it was catching on the stock plugs :rage:

• Like Like x 1
  7. I think I will as well, can you take a picture of yours?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Yesterday I ended up ordering the matching oil cap as well. It will be here tomorrow so I will take a pic with it all on.

9. As promised here are the pics with the frame plugs. been on some great and long rides since fitting them and never had the problem again, especially in towns where you find yourself having to keep put your feet down. The Oil plug is also fitted as you can see.
    IMG_0926.jpg IMG_0933.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  10. I even noticed the leathers/frame plugs resistance on a test ride. Will be looking into these alternative items later in the year when I get my Mutley. Wish they weren't so blingy though but at least they also occupy the two other unfinished looking gaping holes on each side of the bike.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. :eek: Certainly a very 'interesting' approach to the Ultimate Add-Ons phone set-up, however, I prefer the U-A-O handlebar clamp arrangement, which is clean, effective and works better for me.
    Good on you for adapting something that suits you, definitely each to their own.:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  12. @ColT what size clutch slave have you fitted and is the difference noticeable..

13. Indeed. I would rather like to get some properly made plugs; the original rubber things are hopeless. Pity the ones in the photo are so trashy looking - like something a backward 12 year old would fit to his push bike. I wonder if any frame plugs for grown-ups are available?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. It's a Ducabike CNC slave that has a larger volume and makes the clutch 30% lighter. really makes a difference.
    Ducabike Ducati Clutch Slave Cylinder

15. Way to make friends Pete1950. So far everyone that's seen them in the flesh has liked them a lot and they were all over 12.

16. Horses for courses, I think these look better, would be even more so to my subjective eye if they were plain (i.e. without the dimples, do they serve a purpose?).

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Thanks ColT - I think they look pretty good (and I'm well over 12), and I also like the CNC ones... (decisions, decisions)
    Normally I would say these are unnecessary bling, but having caught my trousers several times in town I'd hate to have an embarrassing low speed topple.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Glad I found this thread had my bike 3 days and already managed to loose one of the rubber plugs through catching them with trousers, have ordered the grown up set from Italy. Mature and sensible that's me.

19. Very happy with the ones I bought, big improvement.

The other issue I had was with the triangular plastic bits on the side of the frame, I tore a hole in my Rukka trousers on the sharp corner that stuck out. Some bikes have an issue with and some I've looked at don't. I got some Sugru and made the edges rounded.

Luckily I was able to patch and repair the trousers with a Gortex patch and a tube of this Stormsure adhesive and it's been watertight ever since:
    Stormsure Stormsure flexible repair adhesive 15g tube (CLEAR) with precision nozzle

P.S. Sugru is great stuff - it's like blue tack that turns into rubber overnight. I usually take a pack with me on longer trips.
    Home| Sugru

20. I've never once had the issue that you guys are talking about, however I just like the look of them and are much more aesthetically pleasing than the standard plastic things, so I'm gonna get some. I did think about 3D printing some myself but they'd never look as nice as CNC machined set and Pete1950 might not approve.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information